The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RFM Panzer IV Ausf H (Early)

36 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

WOW, fantastic prep work and I can't wait to see the Panzer progress through her various stages in painting

Thanks Peter, I’ll try and document it. The next decision will be what to do next…….I have nothing in the build stage as ZM 51 and this are in booth stage………decisions………

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Tough question for sure - how about the Tamiya P-38 and keep refining your weathering techniques? You already just finished the tougher of the two P-38's

Hmmm of course you’re right, not sure about going straight into the same aircraft. I have an ICM Ju 88 A11 in 48th…..Three aspects appeal, never built a Ju88 or ICM and I haven’t built a German aircraft in 45 odd years……..

• Like 3

The Panzer IV looks well built Phil, can't wait to see it in final colors. I always opt for spraying things separately, but nearly never on the sprues. I've never build a Schürzen wearing vehicle, but really like to do so. I have a Jagdpanzer IV with mesh Schürzen and a less than half build STUG.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

The Panzer IV looks well built Phil, can't wait to see it in final colors. I always opt for spraying things separately, but nearly never on the sprues. I've never build a Schürzen wearing vehicle, but really like to do so. I have a Jagdpanzer IV with mesh Schürzen and a less than half build STUG.

Thanks Rob, would well recommend RFM, still have a half a box of spares. Just had a marathon session, with the chassis, turret, schurzen x 15 plus 22 wheels etc …..damn forgot tracks …….there is plenty to spray……..this is my first schurzen AFV as well…..Gaz mentioned about the process, it’s tricky……..I think once everything is in base colour it will be assembled and then camouflaged…..that’s the plan at present……..

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Painting is always a little tough with these not up to the task and therefore upgraded with skirts and whatever addons Panzer IV's. Will it be a tri tone camo? I wish you luck with the airbrushing and I'm sure you will master it.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Looks great so far, Phil! I'm sure it won't be too difficult for you.  Weathering with Schurzen is a bit tricky.

I only saw the first photo (that I know of) with that add-on roof armor only a year ago.  And here it is on a kit already.

One trend I have noticed this year...   gray-painted 'replacement' barrels on lots of models.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DocRob said:

Painting is always a little tough with these not up to the task and therefore upgraded with skirts and whatever addons Panzer IV's. Will it be a tri tone camo? I wish you luck with the airbrushing and I'm sure you will master it.

Cheers Rob

Going for the tri colour scheme Rob, the “sand” is the base, I’ve attached albeit temporarily the screens etc ……..compressor on and away we go…..

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Looks great so far, Phil! I'm sure it won't be too difficult for you.  Weathering with Schurzen is a bit tricky.

I only saw the first photo (that I know of) with that add-on roof armor only a year ago.  And here it is on a kit already.

One trend I have noticed this year...   gray-painted 'replacement' barrels on lots of models.

Thanks Gaz, I must admit it’s the first time I’d seen the extra roof armour…..I’ll look out for the grey barrels…..never seen the roof armour on a Dragon kit……

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The beast it out of the booth and looking a little to clean. I closed all the hatches whilst spraying  but now they will be opened up. Wheels and tracks to be added plus 3 decals. I think finally solved a good base colour for tracks, Vallejo Track primer then equal parts of Black and Dark Brown Vallejo Wash applied liberally……..we will see……then weathering of the whole model……

DF15ED60-E194-457D-99AD-E8715C10EB3E.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

WOW - looking fantastic - cammo is perfect - my money is riding on just light 'in use' weathering.

Thanks Peter, probably could have done with a touch more pressure, all done with Vallejo. Not sure how weathering yet…..

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DocRob said:

The free hand camo looks great Phil. Will you weather heavily? If so, I would give some of the skirts some dents and bruises and may take one or two off.

Thanks Rob, this the second ever tri-colour scheme I’ve done, hand gets a bit wobbly after a time….weathering may just lighten everything but then you start to get into it and them………

• Like 2