The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

RFM Panzer IV Ausf H (Early)

So now the ZM P51 and the Eduard P38 are in the spray booth, I’m ready for a new project. This is the Rye Field Models Panzer VI Ausf H early production. This the first time I have ever built RFM so it’s all new. I picked this up for just under £30.00 which was around a saving of £12 - £15. It has individual track links, operable suspension, AM shields, fully modelled main armament mechanism, Maybach engine………all for £30.00 yes please. The box is crammed and have the therapeutic task of assembling 204 links with individual pins………So started with the engine and I am very impressed with the modelling quality, it’s very fine, no flash and so far fits together beautifully……..I’ll post more as we progress but so thumbs up……yet to complete the engine btw……

6FF186F8-5CF7-4781-94DA-D6A35D20AD38.thumb.jpeg.08954fbf5739c4d59e44eae8bd11f24c.jpeg

E3D1C509-D1C2-499F-BBA9-E4F1DD610DCA.thumb.jpeg.350d98cabe9a6e6a6366bac1106064c8.jpeg

E0AAFA37-21C7-4694-8BDD-85746DD44300.thumb.jpeg.8ae419a685154e963427b94ddd802b39.jpeg

• Like 13

• Bomber_County changed the title to RFM Panzer IV Ausf H (Early)
24 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice! Hopefully there's a jig included to help with assembling those tracks. I've used their Panther tracks and they went together fairly well.

Carl

Carl, luckily yes there is, how did you find them?

• Like 6

Phil, the Panther tracks went together fairly easily. The pins were evenly spaced so that they matched the track links. You glued 5 at a time if I recall correctly which made them go together fairly quickly. 

Their Sherman tracks were a bit more involved but again I didn't have any problems with those. 

• Like 6

I P/U the early Tiger with full interior looks a beast of a model I don't do much in vehicles but they do make a nice diversion.I will be watching to see how a RFM goes together.;)

rfmrm5050__82219.1616178415.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

I P/U the early Tiger with full interior looks a beast of a model I don't do much in vehicles but they do make a nice diversion.I will be watching to see how a RFM goes together.;)

This IV has the engine plus the gun mechanism and possibly some other bits and pieces from a full interior boxing. Not sure if I’ll ever do a full interior as it would be difficult to show. I’ll leave the grillage open and the side turret doors open so a least you will see something. I am impressed with the moulding and haven’t had to scrap ejection pin mark yet. Some clever and well thought out tooling and moulding…..

• Like 10

So in doing some detective work and downloading the instructions for a RFM Pz IV full interior kit. It transpires most (not all) of the engine bay is included on the sprue for the engine included in the boxing I have……..well pleased…..

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Copy Gary! The engine compartment looks really nice!

Is the engine already glued into the hull?I wonder how one can manage the detail painting then?

Thanks Kai, the engine is only just laid in position at present so I can lift it out, the engine is stunning….

• Like 6

Phil that is looking very promising, I have not tried a rfm kit, for the money that is a lot of plastic, do you mind me asking where you got it? Thanks for the tip about Gorilla glue, I bought some and finding it very good to use.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jackster said:

Phil that is looking very promising, I have not tried a rfm kit, for the money that is a lot of plastic, do you mind me asking where you got it? Thanks for the tip about Gorilla glue, I bought some and finding it very good to use

Thanks Kev, well recommend RFM so far, I got it from Jumblies, https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/ it was on sale at the time…….just keep an eye out. I think they are usually around the £40-45 mark which makes Dragon these days look expensive………but as you said a lot of plastic so your money……..glad the Gorilla glue helped. In the small tubes you do not tend to waste a lot…..

• Like 5

On 6/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, Peterpools said:

Thanks for the note - I should have known you did that.

Thanks Peter, never painted a tank engine bay so wish me luck…..

thanks to scalemates who are now adding instructions to their site, I now have the correct interior instructions for the H model…….it’s not going to be extensive but very happy with lots of building……

• Like 6