The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Finally Organized my Stash

GazzaS

I have a small stash.  Except for some two under construction, AM, and twenty or so complete or partial figure kits, it's all on this one set of shelves.

P1013954.thumb.JPG.4d085775174285846b95da0eb3ae7ebd.JPG

Of course...  you'd have to have special powers to see much in that photo.  The shadow is cause by a fanblade on the ceiling fan.

So....   some close ups:

From the top:

P1013953.thumb.JPG.6d8a6f3ff82e34534fc7e846767b5933.JPG

P1013952.thumb.JPG.2f749665b8d3a8b70f7ed80585531fe1.JPG

P1013950.thumb.JPG.3269cc7c8ab5277d6a9968ebe231034d.JPG

P1013949.thumb.JPG.73085c40c793b157da91a97108fc8f9b.JPG

P1013948.thumb.JPG.d0c54a1b0889abdc4c6e22bfde6ebaf7.JPG

I have a small reference Library, too....   very small.  All of the flimsy paperback books aren't pictured...   they aren't much to look at from the end or side...

P1013946.thumb.JPG.b29d5c3dfd0d6259f44ff8353b5c52c8.JPG

P1013947.thumb.JPG.468e9030788778007bd7bf1ebdf46538.JPG

I give away a lot of books.  I rarely read a book twice.  So if there aren't pics I wanna use...  I move em' on.

P1013951.JPG

• Like 9

Nice stash you have Gary! „Klein aber fein“ as we say in German.

You really have a lot of WNW kits! I also have the Fokker DVII and the Wingmeng Dr.1. And I also see some rare kits: the 2 109s and some really nice 1/48 kits!

I‘m not an expert on the armor side. I see the SdKfz 7/1. It’s one of the 2 armor models I have build. Especially the „Flakvierling“ is a really great kit. I build it back when I was 19 (40 years ago!) but still have it on one of my shelves.

Like you I also love to get literature about the subjects I build. My collection is too big because I can’t stop. 
Also my stash is too big to build it until the end of my life.

But we are not only modelers but also collectors aren’t we? ;)

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Nice stash you have Gary! „Klein aber fein“ as we say in German.

You really have a lot of WNW kits! I also have the Fokker DVII and the Wingmeng Dr.1. And I also see some rare kits: the 2 109s and some really nice 1/48 kits!

I‘m not an expert on the armor side. I see the SdKfz 7/1. It’s one of the 2 armor models I have build. Especially the „Flakvierling“ is a really great kit. I build it back when I was 19 (40 years ago!) but still have it on one of my shelves.

Like you I also love to get literature about the subjects I build. My collection is too big because I can’t stop. 
Also my stash is too big to build it until the end of my life.

But we are not only modelers but also collectors aren’t we? ;)

Thank you, Kai.  Before I moved to Australia I had many books.  I sold some, but most were donated to a local library.  They were hard to part with. 

At any rate.  If you want accurately detailed armor kits...  Dragon is the way to go.  Tamiya is nice, they leave some detail off.  Almost all of the Dragon kits you see were pre-owned.  Only one or two were bought brand new.  Belonging to a model club was the pathway to all of these Dragon kits.   When people have too many kits, they sell them for half-price or less, usually at club meetings.  It is easier and quicker than selling them via Ebay.

I wish I had bought more WNW fighters.  But I was a short sighted.  And I kept waiting for WNW to make the Alb D. III and earlier fighters.  Instead they went off on a crazy tangent of large kits nobody wanted.  I got most of these after the collapse at close to retail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Bf-109E from Dragon - approved  :)

My LHS has a couple on their shelf. $60 each. One word of caution. We opened one and the funky rubbery gear bay walls were deformed and brittle/cracking in one of them so I suspect the other is the same. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

My LHS has a couple on their shelf. $60 each. One word of caution. We opened one and the funky rubbery gear bay walls were deformed and brittle/cracking in one of them so I suspect the other is the same. 

Yeah, I'll have to deal with it when I get there.  Dragon's biggest mistake was using that stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice, fairly compact collection there Gaz. I've gotten most of mine sorted with the basement reorganization. 

How do you find that Panther book? The External Appearance one? 

Carl

Thanks, Carl.  Well...  It's chock full of detail.  I hope to use it during a build some day.  I tried reading it, but it's really too technical for that.  Some people consider it the panther 'bible'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good idea with the Dragon AFV’s in picking them up at secondhand prices. Not sure where Dragon think they are going. The average price is now around £60-70 which for a non interior Pz IV for instance. Having dabbled with a part interior with my RFM IV H not sure as yet if interiors are for me. Saying that the RFM non interior are around £40.00 with as much detail as Dragon. They have a conundrum…….IMHO……

• Like 3

Mines currently organized to. In a storage locker 25 miles from here and packed away in 25 large moving boxes. 🥲

until I can get the time to construct my garage loft/shelves, we’re going to be separated.  I just got my building table unpacked. I did get the new lights in my display case though. 
Q2Yfvg.jpg

And I got my die cast cars back in the cabinets I built too.  Unfortunately, I have about just as many still boxed up that I need to figure out how to display. 
2MYqEs.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Good idea with the Dragon AFV’s in picking them up at secondhand prices. Not sure where Dragon think they are going. The average price is now around £60-70 which for a non interior Pz IV for instance. Having dabbled with a part interior with my RFM IV H not sure as yet if interiors are for me. Saying that the RFM non interior are around £40.00 with as much detail as Dragon. They have a conundrum…….IMHO……

I'm not afraid to pay more for a better kit.  But I don't feel like I have to buy it now.:rofl:  After recalculating my build rate, I may have 7-10 years of kit there.  I used to build a lot more 1/48 single engined fighters...  but only have a handful left.  So, I've slipped from a dozen kits a year to about 8.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Mines currently organized to. In a storage locker 25 miles from here and packed away in 25 large moving boxes. 🥲

until I can get the time to construct my garage loft/shelves, we’re going to be separated.  I just got my building table unpacked. I did get the new lights in my display case though. 
Q2Yfvg.jpg

And I got my die cast cars back in the cabinets I built too.  Unfortunately, I have about just as many still boxed up that I need to figure out how to display. 
2MYqEs.jpg

That's an impressive man cave.

• Like 3