Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Build reviews on Infinity SB2C?

JohnB

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’d say there is one weak spot, and one very weak spot in the kit. 
The engine, simply put, to me, looks almost devoid of detail.  It’s a pretty big disappointment to me.  A resin replacement will go a LONG way to help it there.  There are plenty of good, high quality super detailed resin Wright R2600s out there.  A quick look on eBay finds plenty from the various well known Eastern European AM companies.  

The flaps? Well, you have a lot of drilling ahead of you, or, better yet, build the PE parts, which are lifted right out of the resin kit.  Be warned though. The PE flaps has caused multiple modelers to go cross eyed and start mumbling to himself, me included. They are not for the faint of heart. 

This is not some shake and bake kit.  But it seems decent enough and should build up into a very respectable model of the Beast. 

799EB31A-B33F-4E51-BAFD-07BA1DD1A604.jpeg

97DF9EB5-765B-4903-A0F2-6DFDBFA1927E.jpeg

98F6C324-4447-4A6B-8B4C-C85583901D18.jpeg

B9FB4FCD-88E4-4CA6-8EB9-4C87EF5B689D.jpeg

BA2D91BA-C098-4FA5-B321-0C04A0F076EE.jpeg

1F52B767-E29D-4F1F-91C5-18332446B637.jpeg

DE4C15F3-4D37-47D6-9C5C-6D0BD9C85F2E.jpeg

I decided to get the PE flaps so I wouldn't have to drill out all those little holes. That certainly would drive ME cross eyed! :)

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Ernie, congrats to HPH and all the smaller companies that have the fortitude to go where the big guns fear to tread, thanks guys and please do not listen to to the dissenters………

No worries Phil, and yes, absolutely, there are always the same 6 or 7 overly loud voices on the web who holler a spd scream like 9 year old children.

HPH heard people.  The desire for a 1/32 Helldiver was incredibly strong, but precious few have appeared on tables.  My HPH kit will be finished, I just need the time to do so. 

John, I agree, the PE flaps are the way to go.  HPH caught huge flak over deciding to go PE, And I’ll warn you, it’s almost whipped several extremely gifted Eastern European modelers.  So absolutely approach it with the understanding that it’ll not be something to be built in a day. Or a week. Or a month… 😖

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

No worries Phil, and yes, absolutely, there are always the same 6 or 7 overly loud voices on the web who holler a spd scream like 9 year old children.

HPH heard people.  The desire for a 1/32 Helldiver was incredibly strong, but precious few have appeared on tables.  My HPH kit will be finished, I just need the time to do so. 

John, I agree, the PE flaps are the way to go.  HPH caught huge flak over deciding to go PE, And I’ll warn you, it’s almost whipped several extremely gifted Eastern European modelers.  So absolutely approach it with the understanding that it’ll not be something to be built in a day. Or a week. Or a month… 😖

Agreed Ernie. I'm going to let it sit for a while and see what comes out via after-market such as a new cockpit. I'm in no hurry to build it. :)

• Like 5

On 8/8/2021 at 3:08 PM, recon said:

I still want to get the bomb bay am set. I would also like a cockpit upgrade set for mine.

Hoping to have mine done for Omaha along with 2 or 3 other planes.

Mike

Mike 

Sounds like a plan for sure and looking forward to your build thread

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 7:23 AM, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Ernie, congrats to HPH and all the smaller companies that have the fortitude to go where the big guns fear to tread, thanks guys and please do not listen to to the dissenters………

Phil

Completely agree

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 3:50 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Ernie

Right on target ... there always seems to be way too many builders looking for a kit to be produced and then fade into the shadows when their wishes have been answered. Actually the way Infinity decided to release the kit does make sense in allowing the builder to purchase the kit and add detail sets for the areas they want and those that they don’t .. don’t add them. I only wonder what the kit would cost with all the goodies included, should be quite a bit less then adding all the Detail Sets individually such as the Eduard Big Ed sets.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

This kit is a tough build from the beginning.  Am just finishing the wings up and have to agree 100 percent with previous reviews.  I purchased the photoetched detail kits for panels and dive flaps, plus flight control panels.  The dive flaps take much patience.  Be aware that the fuselage halves will have to be test fitted numerous times with attention carefully mitering floorboards.  Because of no pins and guides, had to use more putty than expected.  Leading edges of wings at roots do not complement fuselage.  Landing gear assembly in wells unclear.   

The details of cockpit and gunner interiors is nice, but more flash than expected to be groomed off for a model of this price.  Would have expected separate tires as well.  The extra kits like bombay takes work to fit.  

This is an advanced kit that needs a good skill base to tackle engineering flaws.  Details are nice but tooling should have looked at seams and guidepins, as well as improved joint fits.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I am using cockpit green for interior and zinc chromate for wheel wells and bombay.  Several books had mentioned that cockpit green was used on interior.  This is different from a 1/32 Trumpeter SDB2 (Dick Best) model that I built last year.  

• Like 4