The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/32 VLR P-51D "Fighting Lady" 475th FS

Just a quick photo to show where I am at building this kit, Tamiya's gorgeous P-51D built as a VLR Mustang from the 475th FS.  Alclad NMF, Tamiya acrylics for everything else.  Decals from Kagero "Pacific Mustangs" publication and stencils from Fundekals.  The panel lines and rivets on the wings were filled as per the full size.  The only AM I am using is home made seatbelts with Eduard buckles, and Barracuda resin tires.  The paint stand is one I designed in Fusion 360 and 3D printed on my Prusa Mk.3S.  I'll get more photos as I go!

20220102_104452.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Nice colorful scheme and cockpit art! 
The silver looks really good. Which color did you use? 

Thank you, I've always wanted an aircraft in my display with some "attractive" artwork, I think the Fighting Lady qualifies!  I used Alclad White aluminum over a basecoat of Tamiya gloss black on the fuselage, and Alclad Aluminum on the wings again over a base coat of Tamiya gloss black.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Franks

I've been working on the Revell P-51D (early) kit and it's now on hold while the house renovation is starting. Nice kit and well worth the money but after having built three Tamiya P-51D's, two different ends of the scale. Looking forward to your next update.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!

Peter - I've looked at the Revell kit, but have until now avoided it as I was afraid it would feel like a step backwards from the Tamiya kit.  I have seen some spectacular builds using that kit, not sure I want to put the time into one of them to achieve those kinds of results.  I would like to see how yours is coming along!

• Like 2

Frank

Nothing like a Tamiya kit and so well worth the money. I've bought the Revell kits more out of curiosity and for the money they are good buys but no where near the detail, fit and crispness of Tamiya. I do have Revell's Spitfire Mk11a and will build it with a lot of AM sets and then I'll be back with Tamiya.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

I'll get some photos up later Martin, not much to show photo wise.  I've been down with the flu the past five days, mostly just a clear satin coat to prepare for the weathering and painting all of the tiny bits.  I'll get a few shots later when I get home!  Today's the first day I've felt almost normal (well, as close as I ever am LOL.)

• Like 2

A few photos of my progress!  First, I gave the entire model a coat of satin varnish to kill a bit of the shine and bring the paint, decals, etc to the same shine level.  There must be a word for that but I don't know what it is.

I also finished up the propeller, though it will receive some more dirt and streaking effects later.  Photos I studied of these aircraft on Iwo Jima showed that many of them had the rear faces of the blades almost entirely scrubbed of paint.  Many also showed no signs of the yellow paint on the blade tips on the backside so I decided to do mine that way.  I made sure to paint the rubber cuffs a slightly different shade and not chip them at all.

The wheels were installed in the Barracuda resin tires, and then the red anti rotation stripes (?) were painted on.  The wheels will still get a lot of weathering effects applied to them later.

I also did the "Uncle Dog" antennas in a woodgrain effect, base-coated in Tamiya deck tan and numerous oils were slopped on the gently wiped off to leave the grain.  It's hard to see the grain in the photos, but it is there!

Next, time to start installing some of the loose pieces and begin weathering it.  The weathering phase is one of my favorites and I am looking forward to starting that soon.

Thanks for looking in!

DSC_0005-1.JPG

DSC_0001-1.JPG

DSC_0002-1.JPG

DSC_0004-1.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 year later...