The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fisher F9F build

I managed to remove all the goo that was left on the clear parts when I removed the Scotch tape. I re-masked with Tamiya masking tape, painted with GSB and applied some Pledge with Future. Far from perfect but a lot better now I think. :) Now I can continue the build. :)

9-26-22 001.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Cougar fuselage sits down into the wing, so no real gap issues there.  Now the speed brakes, yes. I did build mine open but I still had to add some styrene strip to square it up.   The worst was the inner landing gear doors. They are only open during gear cycling, so I built them closed.  Not only was it out of square but doors didn’t sit flush.  Maybe my doors were warped over time, not sure.  
UGnPsi.jpg

Here’s a pic of the wing to fuse fit  you can see the tiny bit of filler that was needed 

re8H3Z.jpg

FWIW, my flaps were warped pretty bad too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

The Cougar fuselage sits down into the wing, so no real gap issues there.  Now the speed brakes, yes. I did build mine open but I still had to add some styrene strip to square it up.   The worst was the inner landing gear doors. They are only open during gear cycling, so I built them closed.  Not only was it out of square but doors didn’t sit flush.  Maybe my doors were warped over time, not sure.  
UGnPsi.jpg

Here’s a pic of the wing to fuse fit  you can see the tiny bit of filler that was needed 

re8H3Z.jpg

FWIW, my flaps were warped pretty bad too. 

I guess it's to be expected with this type of kit but it sure is a PITA to deal with.

• Like 3

John

When I built my Sea Fury, I has the same gap issues at the wing/fuselage seams and huge gapes to fill. The cowling also had fit issues but not as bad. Paul sent me a few replacements for both and the best fit still had their share of gaps. My guess is this type of solid resin kit has a lot more shrinkage then a more conventional style. of injected molded.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

When I built my Sea Fury, I has the same gap issues at the wing/fuselage seams and huge gapes to fill. The cowling also had fit issues but not as bad. Paul sent me a few replacements for both and the best fit still had their share of gaps. My guess is this type of solid resin kit has a lot more shrinkage then a more conventional style. of injected molded.

I don't recall having any significant gaps, etc when I built my Sea Fury. Certainly nothing like the one's for this Panther.

• Like 3

FWIW, most PU resins have a standard 3% shrinkage spec. Finding a resin with less than that is really hard work.

But what’s worse is that the shrinkage factor is not constant and reproduceable … So factoring shrinkage in is a dark art rather than a mathematical formula …

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

I see the gaps and they are certainly large. I'm thinking epoxy is the way to go. Fingers crossed

I probably will go the epoxy route Peter as I doubt CA would have enough holding power. I'll continue with the build for now but it may end up back on the SOD if it's too big of a PITA. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Fully understood, sometimes things like that can kill the excitement completely.  Well, time for another , more pleasant build, perhaps Corsair ? :) 

I'm not bailing out on it just yet but, if and when I do, it's doubtful another Corsair would be up next since I just finished 2 of them. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1