The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fisher F9F build

Success! No peel offs! :) I will paint the underside next but I'm pleased with the paint so far. After I have all the GSB on I'll overspray with a clear gloss to give the paint a more even finish, etc. 

10-2-22 B 001.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Yea, that stage of the Cougar was a little nervous!  It’s looking great! 

Thanks Scott. I plan to apply another coat of GSB to try to get a little better coverage. I just finished spraying the underside so it's going to have to sit awhile before I can do that. :)

• Like 2

I'll let it sit over night and do some touch up tomorrow. Decaling is not far off. I plan to do the a/c shown on the cover of this "In Action" book since the decals are included with the kit. :)

Scanned Section 1-1.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 10/1/2022 at 12:59 PM, HubertB said:

Air bubbles are an inevitable by-product of resin, where you mix two viscous components, and, in doing so, you introduce air in the mix.

Two solutions to get rid of the bubbles: pour the resin mix slowly from high up. You get a very thin filet of resin, and a number of bubbles will be eliminated in the process, but unfortunately not all.

Better, and more professional: first get your resin pot in a vacuum tank, to extract the air bubbles. The mix will foam, but most of the air will be thus evacuated. Then, during the curing of the part, get it under pressure in a pressure tank, like a pressure cooker. The remaining small air bubbles will be « pushed » and compressed into the core of the part. That’s probably what Paul was doing ;)

Hubert

Yep.  I made the huge mistake of attempting to cut and lower the center flap on my -5 kit. I was going for the full meal deal: opened aux intake doors, ALL flaps dropped, and the canopy slid back for the spooled jp on the cat look.

I found the Mother of All Air Bubbles in there.  A bit, no, ALOT of creative reassembly followed. No muss, no fuss, but after that, it still sits on the SOD. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

WOW, you're paint work and finish looks flawless! I'm pretty sure you're shooting MM enamels and their GSB color is the spot on. Just never understood if one manufacture can get it so right, why can't others?

Thanks Peter. The MM enamel is the way to go when it comes to GSB. I keep several bottles on hand. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

MM GSB looks so good, I'm going to start trying to find a few bottles - odds are I won't but I'll give it a try anyway.

I've looked at SB and Scale Hobbyist and they don't have it. Didn't see it on ebay either. NOT a good thing. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Kind of figure that. I wonder if their acrylic line which is available, has the correct color. I pick up a bottle and see how it looks.

Thanks for looking.

I've got one coming so we will see. Fingers crossed it will match the enamel.

• Like 1