The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Another P-51 racer!!!!

Lately I've been eyeing photos of this very attractive P-51 transcontinental racer and I really like the scheme. There are no decals for it so what I'll do is try to print some of my own. I've also been in touch with a mask maker to see if he can provide me with the masks for the stripes, etc. If he can't I'll have to make my own (THAT should be fun!). At any rate, I've been working on it while waiting for the decals for Bardahl Special 2022 to show up. So actually I'm well along on it! LOL We'll have to see about the markings situation but I intend to proceed with it and cross that bridge later. (Never a idle moment if I can help it!)

#69.jpg

#69 racer 001.jpg

stuff 002.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

No moss grows under your feet!  The belts look FANTASTIC.  PE?  What seat is that?  Or have I just been missing the detail in the seats I've been building all these years?

Always like to keep something on the bench. :) The belts are FineMolds and the seat is from my parts stash and is part Revell and part Tamiya. :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KevinM said:

You got that right 😂 Nice scheme John!;)

LOL Kevin. :) I try to keep something going all the time. When I first saw the photo of this a/c I decided I wanted to model it. A very attractive scheme I think. :)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

If I remember correctly I did it in 1/72 scale when I was a kid.  Didn't weather it, tho.

The more I think about it Gaz I think I did build that one way back in the way back! 1/48 back then. No telling whatever became of it as it's been so long ago.

• Like 1

Flat white primer applied. Gloss white coming up! I've printed the number 69 with my laser printer on clear decal paper and white decal paper. I'll see which one looks best but I'm also waiting for a mask set for them and the fuselage stripes. Not sure at this point which way I'll go but if the guy doing the mask set takes too long I'll likely do it myself as a last resort! LOL :)

10-29-22 001.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Making some good progress. Got the gloss white finish applied using Tamiya acrylic. I hardly ever use acrylics but their gloss white is really nice. I researched the internet to find the right style numbers for the tail. I downloaded and resized them then added the green. I then printed them out on my laser printer. The funny looking markings under the nose I drew by hand then scanned them and sent them over to my computer for sizing, etc. I then printed them out on my laser printer.(Oops! I see I set them down backwards but you get the idea!)  :) Haven't heard anything from the mask maker so it may be that I'll have to do the stripes myself. I hope not as I would rather have some good masks for them and the N numbers.

10-31-22 001.jpg

10-31-22 002.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, harv said:

Oh hell yes. I'm watching now....harv :popcorn:

Waiting for the masks to show up "sometime this week" I'm told. I'll set it aside until then as I've gone as far as reasonable for now. 🙃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

Thanks Harv. It looks like you are the only one taking any interest in this. I appreciate it.:)

Just give us some time to adapt to the idea that this is another build, John. You caught me by surprise on this one, and it’s as nice as the others, btw 😏.

Hubert

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

Just give us some time to adapt to the idea that this is another build, John. You caught me by surprise on this one, and it’s as nice as the others, btw 😏.

Hubert

LOL Hubert! Yep, another P-51 racer. I'm enjoying building something a little different but still warbird related. :)

• Like 2

Jeeezzz, John you're a Mustang building machine! I can hardly keep up!

Anyway, great to see you're on another project. At this pace, there'll soon be

a shortage of 1/32 scale Mustangs.....unless, that is, you have a massive

cache of them! Oh, you know I'll be watching!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Jeeezzz, John you're a Mustang building machine! I can hardly keep up!

Anyway, great to see you're on another project. At this pace, there'll soon be

a shortage of 1/32 scale Mustangs.....unless, that is, you have a massive

cache of them! Oh, you know I'll be watching!

LOL Paul! Mustangs and Corsairs. Some of the P-51 racers really have some nice schemes and that is what has attracted me to them. I want to do others with the cut down canopy but I haven't come up with a workable solution for that so far. :)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JohnB said:

LOL Paul! Mustangs and Corsairs. Some of the P-51 racers really have some nice schemes and that is what has attracted me to them. I want to do others with the cut down canopy but I haven't come up with a workable solution for that so far. :)

Well, keep up the good work John, enjoy watching and admire the results!

• Like 2