The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Vintage Hasegawa F-16A

I’ll admit, my heart really wasn’t into doing my best detailing after I started gluing parts together and knowing I have 4 more Academy kits and two Tamiya kits waiting.  And this was a first using lacquers with a hard edge taped off.  Had a little buildup on my tape lines and I’ve got to work on that.   
Paints were all lacquer using Mr. Color and MRP for the white.  Mr. Color has a better gloss, so MRP was used as the first few coats after a complete white primer using Tamiya in the bottle.  
The blue is from MCW and it’s their Thunderbird blue. Red is from SMS out of Australia.  The blue dried to a very deep gloss, although a shade too dark. 
The SMS red RAAF Red.  It dried to a semi-gloss, almost hazy like it blushed from humidity.  A quick rub down with Nu-Finish car polish really made it pop.   
Hasegawa’s reference info was horrible.  Decal placement shown incorrectly, colors wrong and instructions that looked like they came off the mimeograph machine we had when I was in the third grade.  Baby, we have come a long way since this kit came out 44 years ago.  I think it’s been in my stash 15-20 years.  
Oh well, enough rambling.   On to a few pics. 

pA4FWm.jpg

h3RHqs.jpg

zFmLkD.jpg

yqr1Jw.jpg

o8qsDM.jpg

I think one reason Hasegawa had the wrong FS numbers listed might because they used this “Tribute” build to 50745 I think was painted by the Dutch for an air show years ago.  
EIvLTm.jpg

And if anyone is interested, the original first production F-16, 50745, is now a gate guard painted up as a Thunderbird in Texas I believe. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I forgot to mention, after starting painting this scheme it dawned on me that the decals to go with it were 44 years old.  My biggest fear was they would crumble when they got wet.  Did a test of one not needed and they performed like a new kit.  Man, that was a relief!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I forgot to mention, after starting painting this scheme it dawned on me that the decals to go with it were 44 years old.  My biggest fear was they would crumble when they got wet.  Did a test of one not needed and they performed like a new kit.  Man, that was a relief!

Is that the 1/32 kit. I made that kit around 1984 while recovering from back surgery.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...