Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Revell-S-100 Schnellboat-1/72

10 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Coming along and can't wait to see how the hull turns out.

Honestly, you lost me at '.030'.  How do you cut brass (or anything for that matter!) .030?!?

10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Yeah...   that looks great...   but how do you cut it that fine?

Soft brass is just a hobby knife and an eyeball or two:hsmack:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

just showing that this is all their is to this going to make about 30 more stanchions tonight.I find it works better to roll on wood or cardboard I tried glass and they disappear.The hull is finally painted Monday was one of those days had to finish it Tuesday just walk the frick away.:hsmack:

S-100 002.JPG

S-100 003.JPG

• Like 9

On 1/11/2023 at 6:52 PM, Peterpools said:

Kev

Nice going on the stanchions and the paint work on the hull looks so good. Terrific progress

Thanks Peter got some more PE done this evening I rather work 1/350 than 1/72!I can hide mistakes in 1/350 not here and it's still small.I finished the assembly of the cab still a final paint and more wood effect.It's slow but progress.:hsmack:

• Like 3

Slightly disappointed on my Orange 1/72 German 20mm quadruple Flak 38 advertised with metal barrels and none in the box :hsmack:I have sent a message to the seller I will have to work with what I have no time to turn back move forward is the word all will be good in the end.;)

It says "metal barrel assembled model" looks like my misunderstanding:popo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195508396220

builds 001.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Bummer with the barrels, but maybe they look ok with a bit of drilling out the muzzles. The progress with the Schnellboot looks great though, love the detailing of the stanchions.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:44 AM, CANicoll said:

Honestly, you lost me at '.030'.  How do you cut brass (or anything for that matter!) .030?!?

On 1/9/2023 at 3:20 AM, GazzaS said:

Yeah...   that looks great...   but how do you cut it that fine?

I also use a sharp blade and carefully 'rolling' the tube under it, or I use my micro mitre from JLC with a razor saw. Great to produce your own turnbuckles for WW1 plane, as it has an adjustable length stop.

IMG_8231.thumb.JPG.756b474100227241d1663388f34fd657.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Never heard of JLC tools but the razor saw and the micro mitre really appeal to me. I have some 0.3 - 0.9mm brass tube that is a pain to cut and these could be just the thing for them

I have this one too, better suited for tubes, but had no pic at hand.

Mitre for Circular Profiles, JLC Libor Kopeček P006 (scalemates.com)

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I have started on the base I am using Padauk   https://www.bellforestproducts.com/padauk/ as opposed to my usual Sapele  https://www.bellforestproducts.com/sapele/.The brass I ordered from Blue Jacket 3/16" slot I like using it giving a more traditional look/appeal.I grew weary tonight after about an hours work a little more just not going good/right said time to call it quits before I bugger it up.I did get a couple more PE torpedo cradles done but talk about a PIA but they will look Nice when compete big improvement over the kit.What I need is to obtain some more torpedoes I have four spots and only two torpedoes :brickwall: I then can either make depth charges or order from these guys next week closed till the 17th https://starling-models.co.uk/password This build is no horse race for sure somehow I figure their will be a point it comes together quite quickly.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

• Like 10

Not a bad day it's progress all is just sitting in play.I have the torpedo cradles on the deck use a .015" wire at the top for the lock.I still need to touch up the armor for the cabin area and do some wood on the back of the cabin.I have one coat of an oil we get out of Vicksburg MS on the Paduak after I do the Roman on the edge will add one more.I am thinking of moving the 37mm from the rear to the center and place the Quad 20mm at the rear the normal location.The 37mm is going to look good after the right paint and 2 1/2hrs;) of building with all the PE pieces.

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

• Like 7

She is starting to get that little more busy appearance to her with some more deck highlights accomplished in the last few days.The three covers on the deck had 6 PE rings applied to each one which simulate bolts around the openings.The book I bought for this build is so contradictory to what Revell says and what other builds imply.The book then also seems to concentrate on one boat and version and nothing else in that regard maybe the book is correct to that One ship.I have applied a light grey wash to the wood areas which helped to show what wash to be grey below the wood also still more work in that area.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

• Like 6

Thanks Martin come in to clean up just put the Roman on the base,sanded and another coat of oil looks frigg'in Nice/Pretty.It won't be to long before I mount her once the deck goes in permanently so does the model to the base.;)

• Like 2