Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Revell-S-100 Schnellboat-1/72

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

I used it for the first time on my La Renommee build on MSW and loved how nicely it works and finishes.

I was surprised as hard as the wood was to plane that it really sands easily.here is a pic of the wood after the roman give this 2/3 days to dry then varnish and polish.

S-100 003.JPG

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Did you router the edges?  Looks very nice.  How did you do it?  I know you do full size furniture so maybe you have a router in the workshop.

I have most pieces of machinery while some small but a small shop.The two machines I do not have is a lathe(not my cup of tea) and bigger bandsaw to cut linearly instead of using the tablesaw like I did on this piece.When you start cutting wood that is $14 board/foot on up waste becomes an issue.I would like something like this but maybe 8/10" on the vertical this one is six.... https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-13-625-in-9-Amp-Stationary-Band-Saw/1000422245

I did not answer I have a router;)

• Like 5

Kev

Outstanding progress - just love your neat, clean and methodical work.  Agree 100% that when reference material(s) at odds with the kit manufacturer and other builds, it's a major PITA. If i feel my reference is reliable and accurate, then that's how I go. 

Gorgeous base - your woodworking skills are exemplary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Funny, someone gave me a smaller Delta bandsaw because he was upgrading, and I bought a Sherline lathe for my wooden ship models.  I barely used either, so took up pen turning and now those tools actually get some use.

I might need to look into a router to be able to make nice bases like the one you made.  Looks fantastic!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Agree 100% that when reference material(s) at odds with the kit manufacturer and other builds, it's a major PITA. If i feel my reference is reliable and accurate, then that's how I go. 

It(the book) seemed to be what I call a 1/2 as#$ attempt to get a couple of bucks and it did YT videos show more just kind of hard to stop sometimes.I am off to drop off a favor to a friend handicapped husband passed and my Mother in Law to do some maintenance Joe passed some years back.The only way to escape work is to escape Alcatraz .......leave😂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I might need to look into a router to be able to make nice bases like the one you made.  Looks fantastic!

Mike you could probably set yourself up for about $150/200 it's a small layout I have if things go bigger got plenty of plans to build a rolling platform for the router.;)

• Like 4

The decks are getting close to being dropped into the hull.The pics tonight show the four hatches to which I had to scrape off the molded handles and do the PE along with the hinges.The front deck and overlook on the front gunners area added a PE ring inside and what looks to a back cushion alot of little dodads in PE hit the front deck.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

• Like 8

The base is complete now I know why I prefer oils over varnish getting a silky smooth finish is a PIA.I finally used a waterbase over the varnish it levels off better.I know I  should of thinned my varnish but after 4/5 coats and figuring that out .......The boat is on but temp the deck is very very close to sliding in and I have been building lotsa sub-assemblies with the PE things will be moving till I get to the railing.;)

The base for me needed to be completed for some reason once the deck is in I like a solid stand to work from even the 1/350 builds.

S-100 001.JPG

• Like 7

Kevin, the base is fantastic and really will set off your beautiful build.  The details add to the boat so can't wait to see more of this.  Nice job!

We have a full woodshop here, including the bandsaw and a routing table (and hand routers).  So very lucky to have access to all of that and learning a whole new world of woodworking.  One of the guys turns Pens so I have two blanks to do that sometime (he has a mini-lathe which is awesome).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CANicoll said:

We have a full woodshop here, including the bandsaw and a routing table (and hand routers). 

Thanks Chris I P/U some antique planers (4) when i was in Fl over Thanksgiving two of them I will have to make blades for.I have a bandsaw but the height is only six inches an old Craftsman I p/u 15 years ago maybe an old then :lol: but for $125 yep.I think about a lathe from time to time but most of my work is square/angles for the most part.

The front deck is glued in play now I have to PE out the hatch and touch-up some painting to the deck.The main deck is set at the moment not glued checking fit.The two kit supplied guns are built not much PE to the front deck gun and the Quad is about 80% right now first layer of paint going to use some PE on it from Eduard.I can see this flying from here on out with all the boxes,guns and other pieces there will be a quick spurt.;)

S-100 002.JPG

S-100 004.JPG

• Like 8

Kev

Awesome - your wood working skills are money in the bank as the base looks just beautiful. Your progress on the  Schnellboat is progressing at a steady pace and looks so good. Nothing looks as good in the display case a a beautifully built ship on a gorgeous wooden base - no doubt in my mind you are on the way for both. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am eating the elephant one bite at a time with this one between work and some JA stole some checks out of the mailbox me been busy.I have the forward and middle gun done and about 90% done on the quad needs a base sit up off the deck maybe 3/8" for scale.I just don't why Revell did not supply mines but I bought some stuff at HobbyLobby some 3/8" wooden balls and have to build the boxes underneath.I am liking the looks of her though.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Catching up with your build Kevin, very clean and detailed and the simple base amplifies that as well. Bravo

I do not know how clean she will finish up the cabin is just laid in place.I plan to clear the whole boat and add some weathering before the cabin is permanently fixed in play.;)

• Like 3

Thanks for the likes and interest fellas a little more today.I installed railing on the back deck,built trunnion for Quad,installed PE above tubes and started adding the mags for the 20mm up front.I am basically working inside out like most builds even planes.I keep finding more I can do more with the Quad using some of Eduards PE :dontknow: We'll see.I definitely adding the Eduard PE mags they fit better than the kits and I have a few more than the kit supplied.I noticed tonight I have to make some 37mm rounds 4/5 would look good stacked in the gun.;)

S-100 001.JPG

S-100 002.JPG

S-100 003.JPG

S-100 004.JPG

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking really great Kevin!  Very nice build!

Thanks Mike ;) I think I have the mines figured out today.The box is .330"X 2sides @.020" =.370" to fit in a .380" slot.I built one this morning before work just details now.;)

• Like 3