The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk OS2U Kingfisher

Have a nice trip into the sun, Bill. The Kingfisher looks beautiful and I don't know which livery I like better, your later one or Peter's yellow winged. It's such an appealing bird, which cries for detailing given the huge glasshouse on top, the possibility of showing the engine, ...

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

great build Bill. I've just pulled mine out ready for my next project, I'm doing a 107 Squadron RAAF in bare metal finish. Red Roo Models did do decals but they are OOP so I'll have to work that out later.  I've order their book on Kingfishers in the Antipodes so looking forward to learning more about this aircraft.  Do you know what the 8 small red cylinders are on the interior of the aircraft ? Thanks for posting, I'll keep popping back to your build as I progress mine.

neil 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 4:05 AM, Bill_S said:

A few fiddly bit remain, but they seem to take a long time. I added bracing wires to the main float; they're 0.013 in (0.33 mm) diameter piano wire.

Looking really great!  Can I ask how you go about cutting the piano wire?  I didn't know if special tools were needed, and if you have to smooth out the ends and make them round again if you use a crushing-type of cutter.  Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking really great!  Can I ask how you go about cutting the piano wire?  I didn't know if special tools were needed, and if you have to smooth out the ends and make them round again if you use a crushing-type of cutter.  Thanks in advance!

Mike, Piano wire is tough stuff! Depending upon diameter, the recommended method is to use bolt cutters to chop to approximate length, the grind to final length. In my case, the diameter was small - I had an old pair of sprue cutters that I sacrificed to the cause. Even at this small diameter, the cutting edge got pretty chewed up (a good excuse to buy a new tool!). I didn't have to do anything to round off the ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1