The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk OS2U Kingfisher

I started this one years ago. It landed on the SOD; I got discouraged. Most likely I'll be using the scheme on the box top, though I might be tempted to finish it in the USS Arizona colors.

DSCN3015-1.jpg

The instructions call for Field Green (FS34097) for the interior. My gut said it should be Interior Green (FS34151), but I went with the Field Green...

DSCN3016-1.jpg

DSCN3017-1.jpg

DSCN3019-1.jpg

Still some small knobs to attach to the IP:

DSCN3020-1.jpg

Some engine work has been done as well; I'll post photos when it's complete.

Still lots of work to do before I can close the fuselage. Foot rests and machine gun mount:

DSCN3018-1.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Bill

Nice start on your Kingfisher and hopefully this week I'll have the P-40 finished and then on to my Monogram Kingfisher full time. According to what I've read referencing to Dana Bell, the cockpit color was Dull Dark Green / Bronze Green. I'm leaning towards Dull Dark Green.

IP looks mighty good.

• Like 5

Nice start on a very nice kit.

I love the yellow-winged schemes. But most of them had the Vought float, that was later substituted by the EDO one (although there is one pic in the Dana Bell book that shows a yellow-wing scheme with an EDO float). The BBs initially had the Kingfishers with Vought floats and Yellow wings.

I always promised myself I would design and 3D-print the Vought float ... One day perhaps ...

Hubert

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking good Bill, are these still available?

Thanks! The kit is not without its flaws, but not as bad as I thought long ago when I started it. Unfortunately, Kitty Hawk went belly up not too very long ago. You might be able to find one on evilbay.

• Like 4

Brain fart. When I started the engine, I cemented part E58 upside down. No big deal, except that I use that feature to locate the exhausts. The result is that the exhausts don't line up properly.

DSCN3025-1.jpg

It took a few minutes to identify the issue.

DSCN3027-1.jpg

All that's left are the small crossover tubes and the engine is finished.

DSCN3030-1.jpg

DSCN3031-1.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how the front cowl ring is supposed to be mounted...

Got the canopies dipped. I tried Montex masks and didn't like them. Eduards masks have been ordered - I had to strip a couple of the pieces and re-dip.

DSCN3035-1.jpg

Waiting for some Airscale placards for the cockpit, then I can seal it up.

• Like 13