The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Lukgraph Friedrischafen FF.33L. Jumping right back in.

• Administrators

As my SB2C-4 Helldiver build is drawing to a close, I will enter our GB with a genuine seaplane, a WW1 German patrol plane.  I picked this kit up from my fellow intrepid Administrator Fran, who swapped me a GWH Flying Tigers Hawk.  So building it is a foregone conclusion.

I’m itching for some wood and wire, so this should be a nice break from short run IM.  Short run resin… whoop whoop! 
 My build will be one of these two schemes.  CDL and wood. Rigging is simple enough, as usual, I’ll use mono line and 1/48 turnbuckles, with EZ Line for control lines. 
 It’ll be a moment or two till I start, as I need to wrap up my Helldiver. 
The engine and many of the smaller parts are 3D printed, the main components are wire reinforced resin.  
My heart tells me it needs to be a Polish aircraft, but my head says black crosses, and as no Polish markings are included in this kit, black crosses it is.

82B9B814-90FA-49F9-B367-767C6327F49B.png

2771538B-A76D-42A5-B6DF-96070C45A5C7.jpeg

647DC495-23BD-4E57-9A3A-51A05CAA1768.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Lukgraph are extremely high end resin kits, and are actually an offshoot of the old Silver Wings brand. As Silver Wings went more into WW2, a couple hardcore rag wing guys broke off to stay true to the original vision, and Lukgraph was born. 
Much of the kit is the typical super high quality resin with taped together fuselage halves, wire reinforced wings, struts, and landing gear.  But here’s where it get’s interesting:  no more 200 gazillion little resin parts to assemble an inline 6 cylinder German aircraft engine, instead, Lukgraph now gives you a stunning one piece, fully 3D printed exquisitely detailed engine, with an equally exquisite separate exhaust system.  These are simply gorgeous!  Just cut free, clean, prime, paint, and add plug wires. 

21DCBB44-DAE7-4FDD-A10E-23CC71DDC478.jpeg

F29915B9-AF5A-42D5-BB3F-F25B2B82351F.jpeg

CA6CDE0A-C29D-4C79-8FE6-93C9709CDC58.jpeg

• Like 10

Fantastic choice, I nearly bought one of these. The Polish version is painted grey, if I remember correct, so for me a German wood and linen one would have been the way to go, too.
The engine looks great, but painting of the one piece thing could be tempting (reason, why I haven't bought some for my WNW kits). Maybe I change my mind about that, when I see yours painted up. I built one of Lukgraph's 3D printed radials for my Fokker D.VIII and it was extremely nicely done.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Fantastic choice, I nearly bought one of these. The Polish version is painted grey, if I remember correct, so for me a German wood and linen one would have been the way to go, too.
The engine looks great, but painting of the one piece thing could be tempting (reason, why I haven't bought some for my WNW kits). Maybe I change my mind about that, when I see yours painted up. I built one of Lukgraph's 3D printed radials for my Fokker D.VIII and it was extremely nicely done.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob.  I’m not sure, but my eyes may be telling me that those pushrods are waaay overscale, so they may need to go in favor of some fine wire.  That alone may help access for painting.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Thanks Rob.  I’m not sure, but my eyes may be telling me that those pushrods are waaay overscale, so they may need to go in favor of some fine wire.  That alone may help access for painting.

That's true, I used 0,3mm or 0,5mm nickel tube to enhance my WNW Hansa Brandenburg build. Looked right and no painting needed.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, DocRob said:

That's true, I used 0,3mm or 0,5mm nickel tube to enhance my WNW Hansa Brandenburg build. Looked right and no painting needed.

Cheers Rob

One thing about 3D printed parts though. You need to be VERY careful how you decide to cut them because they definitely have a grain, and can literally peel, or even shatter if you don’t use a VERY sharp tool and an extremely delicate hand. 

• Like 5

• Administrators

A bit of work on this today. Some washing of parts, cleaning of the bench, and painting components.  
This looks like it will be a very nice build. Not too many parts, and like most WW1 models, half the work needed is in the cockpit.

B4558D00-F7A5-4E07-9329-E5EFA8414343.jpeg

CAC8557D-CAE1-4335-AB3C-9E44B00256B8.jpeg

B328FE28-BE54-41A8-85F7-B2222F0F3EBA.jpeg

509A8CB4-7DA9-4958-8F79-9BA7B347AAD5.jpeg

1D4B5D6E-9101-4517-843A-BF35AB71D73C.jpeg

CFEEDF01-CC6D-4E70-9F80-CD862D5BE863.jpeg

5016E966-6C7C-4646-9732-6D25FEF95DCE.jpeg

BE7BB9B1-CF1B-4E69-983E-7366018538C6.jpeg

• Like 11

Looking at Ernie's bench, I see that I really need to organize all of the extra bits I have so I know what I have, where.   Hmmm.  I THINK I know where to put the bins...

One of the cool things about this GB is seeing builds of subjects I never knew existed like the Friedrischafen, or knew about, but never saw built, like the Schnellboats.  Among the other builds.  Not to mention manufactures such as Lukgraph which I knew very little about. VERY cool!

Extremely interesting build, Ernie!  Can't wait to see how it all comes together but the 3D parts really adds great detail and simplicity as you pointed out.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2023 at 2:23 PM, Clunkmeister said:

This is more up my alley, so we’ll proceed with happiness and grace 😁

Exclusive Ernie « proceeding with happiness and grace » on his Friedrichshafen’s build …

Hubert

CB8D1E44-70F7-4319-93DB-D6E498F1085E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Do your magic on the Friedrichshafen Ernie, what a great plane with the wood and cloth finish to replicate. I'm waiting my last wanted kit from WNW to materialize, the Albatros B.II, with a vague similar appearance sans floats.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

• Administrators
On 1/22/2023 at 4:53 PM, CANicoll said:

Looking at Ernie's bench, I see that I really need to organize all of the extra bits I have so I know what I have, where.   Hmmm.  I THINK I know where to put the bins...

One of the cool things about this GB is seeing builds of subjects I never knew existed like the Friedrischafen, or knew about, but never saw built, like the Schnellboats.  Among the other builds.  Not to mention manufactures such as Lukgraph which I knew very little about. VERY cool!

Extremely interesting build, Ernie!  Can't wait to see how it all comes together but the 3D parts really adds great detail and simplicity as you pointed out.

Chris

Chris, Lukgraph is an outgrowth of Silver Wings, a company we’re all familiar with. Silver Wings went into WW2 stuff, and one of their guys wanted to stay with biplanes, so he started Lukgraph. 
They have a VERY cool website and, like Silver Wings, are a Polish company. 
Check it out and check out the esoteric aircraft they give us in 1/32 and 1/48.

Here is Lukgraph’s website….  https://lukgraph.pl

• Like 3