The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

GWH Hawk 81C AVG decals. 02/18/23

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Decals look good and I'm hoping you don't go overboard on the weathering. 

No, not overboard, just some exhaust staining and some lead deposits on the fuselage sides. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
11 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Ern,

Decals looks great!  I'd love to see a truly weathered, beat up, and well-used model that isn't a Corsair flying from some coral atoll.

Funny you say that..

My PBJ-1H “8 Ball” is getting the coral runway treatment.  Those things didn’t serve all that long, but they sure got beat to crap.

• Like 5

• Administrators
5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Uh...   what's a PBJ-1h?  My early morning mind is just thinking of peanut butter and jelly.

Goggled it...  a Mitchell.

A Navy Mitchell. A B-25H flown by the Jarheads while island hopping late in the war. Single pilot only, a radar pod on the starboard wingtip, and lightened up completely. They were absolutely devastating ground attack fighters, and were quite capable of (and did) send plenty of IJN Destroyers and Light Cruisers to the bottom in a very short period of time. They not only had the full complement of MGs, and the big gun, but a load of HVARS under the wings, and quite often, a pair of torpedos hung underneath, along with either HE or frags in the bays. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Gaz, they came with all the nose guns plus the 75mm cannon, a full complement of 4 package guns, and the top turret, which was set to permanently face forward.   Bloody HUGE punch!

Single pilot operation only, there was only one yoke, nothing for the coJoe. That space was used for the radar equipment and as a loader area for the big gun. 
I absolutely would not want to be on the receiving end of one of these.  They would literally liquify an IJN airfield. They also carried those oddball Para frags that were dumped on airfields. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Wow...   that's a lot of firepower.  it's amazing what you can do when there is a lack of aerial opposition.

They flew knap of the earth. Literally on the deck, so it would still have been tough to intercept them.  They were lightened up a lot and quite nimble as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Hawk is looking great along the Helldiver Ernie. A bit more weathering would be more to my liking in case of the Hawk, but maybe, the fading you plan will be enough. If overdone, it doesn't appeal that much anymore.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:52 PM, Clunkmeister said:

My PBJ-1H “8 Ball” is getting the coral runway treatment.  Those things didn’t serve all that long, but they sure got beat to crap.

I will build one of those out of my HKM Mitchell. I got the conversion kit for the cockpit and radar and some rockets to do the trick. A blue gray Mitchell, a dream comes through.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• Administrators
14 hours ago, DocRob said:

The Hawk is looking great along the Helldiver Ernie. A bit more weathering would be more to my liking in case of the Hawk, but maybe, the fading you plan will be enough. If overdone, it doesn't appeal that much anymore.

I will build one of those out of my HKM Mitchell. I got the conversion kit for the cockpit and radar and some rockets to do the trick. A blue gray Mitchell, a dream comes through.

Cheers Rob

Short of a bit of fading, im ready to call the Hawk done.

I’m having a hard time figuring out what this particular aircraft had as fas as a wireless and corresponding antennae.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the arrangement. Some have an aerial from the fin to the fuselage above the side hatch, other AVG aircraft have a dipole strung from the fin to each wingtip, some show an aerial from the fin to a farther forward area just behind the greenhouse, with a coax dropped from it to the radio room.  Yet others show no wireless antenna whatsoever.

Supposedly, CAMCO purchased 100 RCA wireless systems for installation, but there seems to be no firm indication on what was done. 
Photos of this particular airframe do not show any antenna system at all. So until I see proof one way or another, I’ll not install one at all. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
14 hours ago, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Don’t forget the Parafrags.   Plus, FYI, the engine gear case and prop blades aren’t even close to being correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1