Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

B&B Resign Design - new product available - 1:32 Armco PB-1 Revetments (Vietnam era)

Update 19 November - see end of thread!

Ok, not exactly, but....

Most of you know that Harold of AMS Resin announced his retirement from resin casting recently, and that AMS Resin would close up shop as a result. However, Harold has been gracious enough to allow my wife and I to acquire all of his molds, masters, equipment, and his blessing to continue producing his great designs under our own business!

So, over the next month or two, we will be sorting through everything, cataloguing it all, getting set up, and casting some tests to make sure we can match the level of quality that AMS Resin delivered. We will also be adding some new items of our own design to the lineup.

While I’ve done quite a bit of casting for my own use, I have nowhere near the experience Harold does, so please bear with us as we develop our business plan and get things up to speed. As both of us have full time jobs (and I have a second part-time one already), we will not be able to spend as much time on this as Harold did, so we will likely do it on a much smaller scale. Stay tuned, and I will keep you all posted here as those decisions are made.

In the mean time, what you can do to help us is to let us know what AMS Resin items you would like to see come to market again. As we sort through things, we will watch out for those items and make sure we give those a shot first. Feel free to post it here, or contact me via PM.

Once we get the business properly set up, I will provide a new e-mail for direct contact. Thanks a bunch, and a BIG thanks again to Harold for trusting us with his excellent work!

Tim & Christie

B&B Resin Design

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

This is really great news!  Not only because AMS products will live on, but what will this lead to in the future for the both of you?  New products, reviving old products no longer made, etc… 

Congrats and I too look forward to supporting you Tim. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, James H said:

I'd love an F-86 set. 

Problem is I need the damn 1:32 Kinetic kit too. Not easy to find.

Let me know via PM if you do. Another person asked for that one, so I've already been working on getting the parts all hunted down and put together. Should be ready soon. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, biggtim said:

Let me know via PM if you do. Another person asked for that one, so I've already been working on getting the parts all hunted down and put together. Should be ready soon. 

Cheers.

When I locate a kit, I defo want that set.

• Like 4

Time for an update!!

We've got things set up enough to start casting, so here's how we're going to do this for the time being:

I will post a google drive link to a new "catalog" at the end of this message. If you see something on there you want, either PM me here or email us at the address provided on the catalog, and we'll dig up the molds (or make new ones as needed) and cast it for you. If you can't open it, just email us at bnbresindesign@gmail.com, and we'll send it to you. As I mentioned before, this is very much a side business for us, as we both have full time jobs (plus a part-time one for me), and would like to not spend ALL our free time casting resin! We're not trying to make a living from this - it's more for fun and a little extra cash, and to keep Harold's great work available to those who want it. Plus, it gives me an outlet for some of my own designs.

Since we will carry no inventory (limited space), it may take a weeks or two to get things made and shipped out, so please be patient with us. That said, we'll do everything we can to get it done as quick as possible for you. We will be using the exact same resin AMS used, so you shouldn't see any difference in that respect. The prices are also exactly the same. Shipping costs (to anywhere) will be estimated when you provide your address, and payment will be accepted via paypal. I will provide you with the paypal user ID when you order (because that will be changing soon once the business account is set up properly, so I don't want to post it here yet). 

For now, we will not be selling through Sprue Brothers, BnA, or any other outlet, though I will be making contact with them so we can consider that for the future. I apologize to the folks outside North America, but we want to ease into this and see how things go before biting that off. We'll do everything we can to keep the shipping costs down for all of you, especially those overseas. So far, I've been able to ship to anywhere in the continental US for about 7-8 USD.

We do not have a website yet, but are considering setting one up if things go well enough to warrant that kind of commitment. If you want to see photos of an item, either email, PM, or you can find most of the former AMS items on the Scalemates database, or online by searching the the item number. To make that even easier, the new item numbers are exactly the same as the old AMS numbers, just with a "BB" prefix. 

In most cases, we will be using the same molds Harold used to cast these parts. If the mold is too old, damaged, or we just can't find it, we'll make a new one from the masters. One caveat: To the best of our knowledge, we've already located either the molds or have masters to make new molds from for everything on the list. However, it is possible that we missed something, and will find it is no longer available after you ask for it. If that happens, we'll communicate that to you asap and refund your money if you've already paid.

You'll see a couple of things at the end of the 1:32 list that are my own designs, so please take a look! One of them you have seen, one is new. I am developing a few new items, so I will update the catalog periodically.

Please post any questions or suggestions you have here, or by email or PM. Thanks a lot!!

Tim

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QSfVNtxAaFRyXGnRz58SFo1f5Y10AIlA/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• biggtim changed the title to B&B Resign Design - open for business!

Since I don't have a website yet, I'll post a few photos here when I add something new to the "catalog". The most recent addition is item BB32134, 1:32 WW2 German "Rasenteine" airfield paving tiles. These were inspired by the great diorama Kent Karlsen did, which is now in one of Kevin's great build books. Thanks, Kent!

Each tile is approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm). I'm asking 10 USD for a set of 12 pieces, plus shipping to wherever you are. 

20230620-190454.jpg

• Like 5

• biggtim changed the title to B&B Resign Design

Thought I would post a bit about the new work design work I've been doing for those that are not on LSP.

F4U-2 radar conversion for the Tamiya F4U-1A or D kit - first set of remastered parts cast very well, with the the exception of the T shaped antennae for the bottom of the fuse. Those little buggers are very fiddly and break easily, so I need to do some more work on that. Question for all of you: would you be interested in the -2 conversion with just the radome, radar screen, exhaust flame shrouds, and small cowl scoop (which is what was in the original from AMS) WITHOUT the two T antennae? You'd have to fab your own antennae from plastic rod or wire. If that is acceptable, then I can have them ready to go as soon as I write up some new instructions. If you'd rather have me include the antennae, then it will take longer. Let me know what you think. 

F4U-5N conversion for the Trumpy F4U-4 kit - I copied the original parts I borrowed from Ray Peterson this weekend, and started cleaning up the firewall piece. I also printed a new cowl ring from the models supplied by Jumpei Temma - turned out great!!! Should make a really nice master, once I can figure out how to deal with those dainty little grille bars in the intake openings....

20230704_194542.thumb.jpg.42c3175dc4b9178951e27a3d8e207cf8.jpg20230704_194535.thumb.jpg.23afb8d8d350766c170ccc06fa8257c3.jpg

Still a very long way to go...

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

I like the revetments!!!!  How about the Viet Nam version of Marsden matting? The M8A1 landing mats to go with the Revetments.

As a matter of fact, I am planning to do some Vietnam era matting at some point. Would you rather have them as individual panels, or as a premade base? The "truss web" style is much easier, obviously, but less interesting. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As most of you know, I've had printed WW2 US Carrier decks available for some time in 1:32. I recently tried a very expensive experiment, and used one of the 3D masters that I made for my own use to make a mold, and I've successfully cast a resin copy of it. So, if that is of interest to any of you, I'm willing to offer them as a special order item only. Here she is:

20230810-121014.jpg

20230810-121021.jpg

Each base will come unpainted in gray resin, and will include enough brass PE strips from Tom's Modelworks to complete the kit. This thing is 13" x 13" (330mm x 330mm) and about 1/4" (6.35mm) thick, so it will not fit in a pressure pot. As a result, there may be some small bubbles in the surface, but a coat of paint or primer will likely fill them up (you can see them in the previous pic. I've also added an additional tie-down channel to one end so multiple bases can be linked end-to-end to form a single long base if you like.

20230810-121032.jpg

So, here's the rub - due to the cost of materials, I will not be keeping any of these in stock. I'll make them to order, and I'll have to charge 55 bucks plus shipping for each one in order to cover my cost and make a little for my effort. Shipping to the continental US should run about 12 bucks for one base. It's a lot, I know, but I kind of did it as an experiment, and figured someone out there might want one. So, let me know, and thanks!

Catalog has been updated - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UqWGz7vIYi1CVEFtd9-zBzSdFlzNx3eu/view?usp=sharing

Tim - bnbresindesign.com

• Like 5

• biggtim changed the title to B&B Resign Design - new product!!
13 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I think John should order one for each of his carrier based Corsairs. 😇

I’ll keep these in mind for future builds.  

I've spoken to John about them already. In fact, he's the reason I added the extra tie-down channel. I think he want something bigger (wider) than that, though. unfortunately, these do not lend themselves to extension in the other direction very well.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.