The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Canadian Smoke

Peterpools

The smoke from the wildfires in Nova Scotia has reached us here on Long Island. The vis is less then a half mile, the smoke is orange and thick. We're inside and safe (not safe for us old folk to be outside) but I had to go outside for a minute and it smells just as if we're in the fire and smoke.😷

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

There's several big fires in Quebec and eastern Ontario as well. The smoke from those fires reached Toronto yesterday. It basically smells like a campfire outside. The air quality here is now the third worst in the world. 

My kids' school board has cancelled all outdoor activity for the time being. 

Stay safe folks, especially anyone with breathing issues. 

Carl

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

We're inside except for an appointment with our oncologist tomorrow. Diane and I will be wearing KN95 masks.

That’s us in the spring with the pollen.  It’s the one thing I discovered during the pandemic. I even wear it now when mowing the yard if it’s dry.  

• Like 5

• Administrators

It appears that for now at least, we’re being spared the smoke in Texas.

I’ve heard they’ve got half the Canadian and US bomber crews running 24/7, and fire crews from all Provinces and 35 States. 
It’s not for a lack of action, that’s for sure. Some crews, teams, and bombers have to be retained for local fires. I expect Australia will send some as well.  Bot the US and Canada send crews there during our winters. 

• Like 7

I'm in the DC area, and it smells like an active campfire and the sky is really hazy.  I was outside for about 45 min this morning walking the dog and taking my kids to the bus stop, and now I'm definitely feeling it.  Be safe everyone!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I'm in the DC area, and it smells like an active campfire and the sky is really hazy.  I was outside for about 45 min this morning walking the dog and taking my kids to the bus stop, and now I'm definitely feeling it.  Be safe everyone!

Same here. Had the dog out for his morning walk and really felt it. 

• Like 4

............... for the past couple summers here where I live we have had smoke so thick we could not see the other side of the yard, and it was bad, but no one made any kind of big deal about it, and it lasted for weeks.... I guess some of us are made of stronger material....  huh

• Like 4

Did my first brisket on my electric smoker a couple weeks back. I over cooked it, but it tasted great with bbq sauce.  Doing another next week, but this time during daylight hours, not while I sleep. I’m use to doing pork butts that cook completely different.  
Seems the trick to the brisket is wrapping and holding it at 150 or in a cooler wrapped up in towels. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Jeff said:

............... for the past couple summers here where I live we have had smoke so thick we could not see the other side of the yard, and it was bad, but no one made any kind of big deal about it, and it lasted for weeks.... I guess some of us are made of stronger material....  huh

Jeff

Has nothing to do with toughness - for us seniors and those with medical issues, plus small children, air quality is important and needs to be monitored.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Jeff

Has nothing to do with toughness - for us seniors and those with medical issues, plus small children, air quality is important and needs to be monitored.

I hear ya, I'm a senior too, with a heart condition and asthma.............

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Did my first brisket on my electric smoker a couple weeks back. I over cooked it, but it tasted great with bbq sauce.  Doing another next week, but this time during daylight hours, not while I sleep. I’m use to doing pork butts that cook completely different.  
Seems the trick to the brisket is wrapping and holding it at 150 or in a cooler wrapped up in towels. 

I'm off to get butchers paper to wrap the brisket for the last 3 hours it's on the grill. That'll help keep it moist. 

Pork definitely cooks different on the Egg. There's a bit more fat that helps keep it from drying out. I have another brisket to do Tuesday and then next weekend we'll be doing pork, so probably a shoulder. 

• Like 2