Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Kotare Spitfire Mk 1A

Hi Dennis

Holy Smokes; the review on Hyperscale does point out that some of the BOB Squadrons Code Letters were not Medium Sea Gray but a bluish gray and that would mean Kotare is correct. If this is the case, then why just didn't Kotare add the information to their instructions and all would have been well. My other issues were very minor and are fine as is.

https://www.hyperscale.com/2023/reviews/kits/kotarek32001reviewbg_1.htm

"...The codes have a bluish tint however it has been pointed out that Medium Sea Grey was not the only colour used for early Spitfire code letters. A darker and bluish grey was noted on 54 and 72 Squadron Spitfires. Here are a few examples in genuine wartime colour that were previously posted to HyperScale's Plane Talking Forum..".

Peter

• Like 2

Well, if an issue turns into a no issue due to great research work of the producing company. Capeaux to Kotare for getting it right and letting you continue in good faith. Can't wait to see how the finished Spitfire will look under your knowing hands.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dennis, can't thank you enough for all your help and getting the build back on path and underway again. Since the code letter colors have become a 'non-issue' now and looking back at the actual update, I decided to just redo it, as it has become too confusing: an update to an update: :construction:  

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. much appreciated.

Yes, I jumped the gun in questioning Kotare's color choice and I should have asked questions here and used the answers correctly without going off the deep end needlessly. Tanks to Dennis's quick and accurate research, the day was saved and decaling is now almost finished. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DECALING IS DONE

Thank goodness, my misconceived decal issues are a thing of the past and I’ve completed this portion of the build. The decals went down beautifully and being Cartograf (my best guess) a pleasure to work with.

I’m not a huge fan of adding a lot of stenciling and keeping with my preferences, I kept it to a minimum. Last of the decals to be applied were the leading edge MG tape covers, which fit perfectly.

Once the decals had a good 24 hours to dry, I thoroughly cleaned the Spitfire and then applied a seal cote Tamiya LP-9 now thinned 2:1 to seal and blend the decals/carrier film in. Still a few issues with laying on the LP-9 super smoothly as I normally do and right now, I seem to have better results using Tamiya X-22. 

Panel lines were next on the list and were picked out using Flory Dark Brown Wash – still my favorite way of doing panel lines.  

Next up the final semi sheen clear cote, adding the gear and the balance of the glass. I can see the finish line form here.

TUQlJ8.jpg

zOCRAd.jpgxct7hd.jpg

Nm0zGF.jpg

g5dQTa.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

DECALING IS DONE

Thank goodness, my misconceived decal issues are a thing of the past and I’ve completed this portion of the build. The decals went down beautifully and being Cartograf (my best guess) a pleasure to work with.

I’m not a huge fan of adding a lot of stenciling and keeping with my preferences, I kept it to a minimum. Last of the decals to be applied were the leading edge MG tape covers, which fit perfectly.

Once the decals had a good 24 hours to dry, I thoroughly cleaned the Spitfire and then applied a seal cote Tamiya LP-9 now thinned 2:1 to seal and blend the decals/carrier film in. Still a few issues with laying on the LP-9 super smoothly as I normally do and right now, I seem to have better results using Tamiya X-22. 

Panel lines were next on the list and were picked out using Flory Dark Brown Wash – still my favorite way of doing panel lines.  

Next up the final semi sheen clear cote, adding the gear and the balance of the glass. I can see the finish line form here.

TUQlJ8.jpg

zOCRAd.jpgxct7hd.jpg

Nm0zGF.jpg

g5dQTa.jpg

The decals worked out fine Peter. Looking good!!:)

• Like 3

DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

My Kotare Spitfire was rolled out on to the flightline and I’m calling it done for now. Yes, there a few small bits I still need to add but that will wait for another day. I have on order some weathering pigments I want to use for the engine exhausts and MG staining and that can’t be done until my order arrives. Also still need to add the antenna wire.   

The final clear top cote Alclad II Light Sheen ALC 311 went on smooth as can be, as I’m not a fan of a full matt finish, as it doesn’t seem to replicate the look and feel of aluminum under paint. The exception would be if the aircraft is in a diorama or vignette, adding to the story line.    

After letting the Alclad dry overnight, the remaining parts were added: main gear and tailwheel, prop and spinner, antenna, pitot tube, the drop-down door, canopy latch, the rudder actuator rod, the remaining clear parts and the various lights were painted. 

My overall thoughts on the kit: SUPERB.

Yes, it’s not Tamiya and yes Kotare didn’t charge Tamiya prices. I’m firmly in the camp and tickled pink there was no Merlin to build – tired of building them. Besides I prefer to how an aircraft looks all buttoned up and showing off its beautiful lines. Decals were superb, instructions excellent except in a few places they could have been a bit clearer.

My only negative comments: NO CANOPY PAINT MASKS and how landing gear needs to be played with and fitted. 

Final comment: Absolutely a gem and highly recommended.

Well done Kotare.

TnHuGc.jpg

unQyRw.jpg

FBSHPW.jpg

78q4V0.jpg

NjV8MW.jpg

OHDFyr.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

My Kotare Spitfire was rolled out on to the flightline and I’m calling it done for now. Yes, there a few small bits I still need to add but that will wait for another day. I have on order some weathering pigments I want to use for the engine exhausts and MG staining and that can’t be done until my order arrives. Also still need to add the antenna wire.   

The final clear top cote Alclad II Light Sheen ALC 311 went on smooth as can be, as I’m not a fan of a full matt finish, as it doesn’t seem to replicate the look and feel of aluminum under paint. The exception would be if the aircraft is in a diorama or vignette, adding to the story line.    

After letting the Alclad dry overnight, the remaining parts were added: main gear and tailwheel, prop and spinner, antenna, pitot tube, the drop-down door, canopy latch, the rudder actuator rod, the remaining clear parts and the various lights were painted. 

My overall thoughts on the kit: SUPERB.

Yes, it’s not Tamiya and yes Kotare didn’t charge Tamiya prices. I’m firmly in the camp and tickled pink there was no Merlin to build – tired of building them. Besides I prefer to how an aircraft looks all buttoned up and showing off its beautiful lines. Decals were superb, instructions excellent except in a few places they could have been a bit clearer.

My only negative comments: NO CANOPY PAINT MASKS and how landing gear needs to be played with and fitted. 

Final comment: Absolutely a gem and highly recommended.

Well done Kotare.

TnHuGc.jpg

unQyRw.jpg

FBSHPW.jpg

78q4V0.jpg

NjV8MW.jpg

OHDFyr.jpg

Nice work Peter!

• Like 1