The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2, JG54, Wilhelm Schiling

This photo popped up on another modelling forum beginning of 2012... Once I saw it, I had to do this scheme!

9jg54_g2ge3.jpg

BCRSno11.jpg

Bf 109 G-2, WNr 10436 Oberfeldwebel Wilhelm Schilling, 9./JG 52, Siverskaya, Soviet Union, September 1942.

There is no Decal Sheet available for this scheme, so it will be done via a mixture of custom made paint masks and decals...

I will be using the Promodeller G-4 Trop kit and back dating it to a G-2

Monogram%2085-5981%20BF-109PM.JPG

I started this again in beginning of 2012 while my family was overseas for 4 weeks... but for some reason it got stuck on the shelve for some reason... Since its so close to being done, I need to resurrect it and finish it!

Started off grinding off all the detail in the Cockpit to fit the Aires pit... Its for a Trumpeter kit, but all the mounting points seem to be the same as a G-6 pit for a Hasegawa kit

_DSC6166.jpg

Sprayed RLM 66 using Mr Color Lacquers

_DSC6168.jpg

All the items that need to be painted different colours received a base coat of white, this was done using Tamiya acrylics.

_DSC6173.jpg

All the components picked out using a fine brush

_DSC6178.jpg

_DSC6179.jpg

Some Airscale Placards were added to make the pit "busier", Everything was sealed with a gloss clear and then given a oil wash. Once dry a coat of Alclad Kear Kote was sprayed on to tone everything down... A normal HB pencil was used to add scratches and wear in areas.

_DSC6182.jpg

• Like 3

Next thing on the list was to remove all the hatches from the G-4 airframe and backdate it to a G-2..

DSCF0462.jpg

I thought I would try out and Aires Wheel Bay kit too... I think next time I will pass on this set and maybe try one of the RB Productions offerings...

All the sidewalls of the gear bay were removed using my Tamiya sprue cutters...

DSCF0465.jpg

Some grinding with the Demel was required also! And those pain in the ass, kidney inserts! There has to be a better way to deal with them!

DSCF0466.jpg

Had to grind away some of the mounting arms to make the pit fit... I guess I should of grinded away the excess resin on the pit first before fitting it!

DSCF0468.jpg

Started to tackle this seams in the nose...

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

Added a Eagleparts G Oilcooler as the shape looks better than the kits offering...

DSCF0470.jpg

That damn seam still giving me some issues!

DSCF0473.jpg

This time trying some Tamiya Light Curing Putty....

DSCF0477.jpg

Stats have been modified to be in the closed postion... but there is a small gap that need to be taken care of!

DSCF0480.jpg

The gap is filled with some plastic strips

DSCF0482.jpg

and filed and sanded to fill the gap... some filler is required to tidy that join up..

DSCF0483.jpg

Somehow, I always end up braking off the antenna mount tab on the tail...

DSCF0486.jpg

• Like 2

Eagle Parts Corrected spinner all painted up..

DSCF0481.jpg

Everything as been coated in my Mr Surfacer Primer mixture... Now time to start looking for all the faults that I need to fix!

DSCF0488.jpg

Ahh... Finally beat that damn seam!

DSCF0489.jpg

Nasty gap in the wing root that will be tackled with some plastic strip. Weld seam added to the supercharger intake using some stretch sprue

DSCF0494.jpg

Medium sized gaps were tackled with Milliput

DSCF0505.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

First top coat of RLM 02 applied..

DSCF0517.jpg

undersides preshaded

DSCF0532.jpg

And sprayed RLM 76 and then shaded/faded with lightly misting on some flat white

DSCF0533.jpg

• Like 2

Looking seriously good. I don't think I've seen that putty before. That cowl seam is a serious bitch and low point of a great kit.

header_87076.jpg

Its not bad stuff... Dries within 2-3 mintues with direct sun light... Good to make castings of small items too!

RLM 04 ID bands painted...

DSCF0535.jpg

Upper surfaces preshaded

DSCF0538.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

I started to mask off my own markings...

DSCF0537.jpg

Once the tape was removed... they were out of shape! These will have to be removed and done again!

DSCF0540.jpg

Camo masked off... I used 2mm tape to start off the patten I wanted and then 18mm tape to fill in the rest of the area

DSCF0542.jpg

Colour sprayed and masking tape removed... I will have to light go over the edges and soften them up later...

DSCF0545-1.jpg

So this were I am currently.... I plan to start back on this once my other 109 is finish for the Messerschmitt GB

• Like 4

Dave

Top work as always

Question about that seam: the horizontal has been eradicated, but what about the vertical one that just disappears into nothingness?

Surely that shouldn't be there either?

Don't have refs with me - am at work!

Cheers

Nick

Yup, half way along over the exhausts, vertical panel line that just seems to stop, without meeting another line; this would not be possible on a real panel right?

It looks like this is the case on both sides of the cowling from your pics.