Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Rudolf Hess Messerschmitt Bf 110E-1, VJ+OQ, Wk.Nr.3869

• Administrators

Hi folks,

I've not been idly sitting on my arse for the last two months. I've been building something I've referred to as 'Project X' in the staff area. This is something I've been waiting to build for a few years, and since I was in a rut and wondering what to build, I thought I'd finally put it together.

I have to thank John Vasco for his assistance in determining what this aircraft would have looked like, since there's only a chunk of fuse and two engines now left on display.

This one will be in Military Illustrated Modeller issue #39, so watch out for it!

ScreenShot2014-04-29at213921.jpg

DSC01526.jpg

DSC01913.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

• Like 11

Great job.   I've never seen that pic of the actual fuselage section before.   It almost looks to be finished in something other than the standard light blue (be it 65 or 76).  This color looks much closer to the late war "RLM 84" yellow shade.   

Any thoughts?

Great job. I've never seen that pic of the actual fuselage section before. It almost looks to be finished in something other than the standard light blue (be it 65 or 76). This color looks much closer to the late war "RLM 84" yellow shade.

Any thoughts?

It could either RLM 02 misted over the 65 to tone it down, or poorly mixed or pigmented 65 causing zinc chromate to shine through.

I think it was Edgar Brooks who sent me scans of a couple of reports mentioning Sky used on the undersurfaces of two (?) German aircraft in 1940. Whether a bad batch of 65 or an experiment with a new color it is a good indication of the shade.