The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

Actually the ONLY things I think I'll be saving from my earlier Tamiya kits ARE the figures ... Most of them being replaced by Dragon equivalents.

The vehicles themselves are accurate, easy to build and well detailed ... It was a combo of Tamiyas' rubber band tracks and Dragons all-in-one Smart Kit approach (photo etch and metal barrels) that did them in for me.

These newer generation jobs with the link and length track bring Tamiya back into serious consideration!

Rog :)

Well, I'd say do give the newer Tamiya kits consideration, they are great!. I rediscovered

them about a year ago.....I thought all their kits were old. I love their new tracks and the fit and their excellent instructions. The kits include color plates of of the paint schemes that show multiple views of the subject. I've considered the Dragon kits... They look good. I have their Saladin kit.....but right away i found a mistake in the instructions involving placement of a periscope.....also the lack of inclusion of a turret mounted

M1919 mg. I bought a replacement machine gun and will fabricate a mount. The Tamiya

kits are...in most cases..reasonably priced and more available. I have a local supplier

that gets the kits shipped to me the next day (usually) with shipping under $ 5.00 US.

Also... Tamiya is an old company that I've been familiar with most of my life....It's Japanese... I've never been able to understand why the Chinese kits are so expensive

with their labor costs. I know their kits are excellent.... I like Takom kits... But why are they always unavailable?. I'll eventually build the Saladin..and perhaps build more Dragon

Kits.. But for now, I'm enjoying my Tamiya buying streak....it's fun. I plan to buy their US M40...and after seeing today a video on the Israeli Sherman M51 Sherman, I may buy

Tamiya's kit of that. I also plan to build the Tamiya Comet when it comes out.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Much of the recent Tamiya kits are quite nice. Their M18 Hellcat and Achilles are both very nice. Having built the AFV Club versions of both, I was happy to see modern versions of each one. 

Carl

Yes, of course I agree. The Achilles kit is another Tamiya kit I've been looking at.

It looks like an excellent kit, and the subject is kind of cool.....an Anglo-American

hybrid.. Of sorts. Not sure, which kit I'll buy next...but it's on my list. I saw the Achilles

at a local Ace Hardware for sale...but it was about $10.00 US higher than I can order

It online...I'll probably order the Tamiya Sherman Israeli M51 I'm a big admirer of the

Israeli State... Cool people. Not politically popular at the moment, but I hold steadfast. Anyway, I'm intrigued by AFV club kits .....their artillery, especially. 

• Like 4