The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Today the post woman was well loaded with parcel for me. Since a long time, I longed to build a second Tamiya Corsair, which is really odd by my standards not to do redundant things. Being a man of consequence, I chose the F4U-1A for my next build, the other one was my re-enter hobby build of the birdcage variant, when it came out.

IMG_E0351.thumb.JPG.22d4744aab13e5c68501fd3550fb8616.JPG

This time it will be tri-tone camo, where I try the AK real colors and mostly oob, except for the Brassin wheels (I hate rubber tyres), HGW seat belts and possibly a Yahu IP.
I plan to use masks for Stars and Bars and for stenciling and added a mask set from 1Man Army.

For my USS Arizona with wooden deck and tons of PE project, I chose the relatively new US sailors from ION Models in 1/350 for adding some life to the decks. They should be relatively easy to paint still attached to the printing connectors and touched up after cutting them off.

IMG_0354.thumb.JPG.50c72169da85fff793e38566b89f769a.JPG

Hera is my giant tweezer (beware :icon_eek:) in comparision with the little guys.

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.466849950b4cedfd3cb78d47df2f4620.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Rob

Nice additions and I can't wait for your Corsair build to begin, as I'll be with you all the way. I've followed every one of John's builds and enjoyed each. I have a few Tamiya Corsairs in the stash as well and am looking forward to building at least one next year and am always taking notes.

BTW, have to buy a set of those GIANT Tweezers😉

• Like 6

It used to be that I would hold off on aftermarket until I was ready to build a particular kit. Not true any more!

DSCN2885-1.jpg

Quinta Studios cockpit for Tamiya's F-16 and a Yahu panel for the Ho-229. To me, Zoukei-Mura's instrument panels are the weak spots in their kits.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Zoukei-Mura's instrument panels are the weak spots in their kits.

Thanks for the reminder, I think, I have bought the PE set for the HO-229 a long time ago, but am not sure, I'll have to check.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Today, from Tamiya came their British Self-Propelled Anti-Tank Gun Archer (35356).

This vehicle is based on the Valentine tank chassis and uses the 17 pounder gun.

The odd thing about this tank destoyer is that the gun faces the rear of the vehicle.

The vehicle is driven from a position just opposite the breach of the gun; the driver

viewing from a small hatch. The kit is similar to Tamiya's Valentine kit sharing some

parts.  In the photo you can see the driver peering out of his driver's hatch at what is

actually the front of the vehicle. Anyway, it looks like a great kit. Until recently,

it's been out of stock at all my usual places. This was ordered from Tower Hobbies.

DSCN0743_kindlephoto-67149787.jpg

ARCHERpolska (1)_1.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/14/2022 at 10:07 PM, Bill_S said:

It used to be that I would hold off on aftermarket until I was ready to build a particular kit. Not true any more!

DSCN2885-1.jpg

Quinta Studios cockpit for Tamiya's F-16 and a Yahu panel for the Ho-229. To me, Zoukei-Mura's instrument panels are the weak spots in their kits.

Bill

My vote these days is always to go the route of 3D cockpit Decal Sets. There isn't any way a kit manufacturer can come close with an injected molded IP and side consoles. My guess is, down the not to far distant future, kit manufactures might be offering them as part of the kit, just as PE is. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

My vote these days is always to go the route of 3D cockpit Decal Sets. There isn't any way a kit manufacturer can come close with an injected molded IP and side consoles. My guess is, down the not to far distant future, kit manufactures might be offering them as part of the kit, just as PE is.

Have you checked the Yahu IP's Peter? Way ahead of Eduard they look extremely good. I like them better than what I have seen from Quinta or Kits World. 3D printing looks great mostly and you have all the consoles included with Quinta, Red Fox,... but for IP's, Yahu is the best choice for me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

All this talk of Phantoms got me to add to the stash. 

PXL_20220916_191141987.thumb.jpg.5f8a9c4388e204776fec5952c671a2af.jpg

This solves the problem of what to do with my second F-4EJ Kai kit from ZM. Thankfully the kit has the standard nose and wingtips in it so I can build a EJ from it. 

One other thing, the Quinta sets have three sets of belts in each so if I'm careful, I have enough for all three ZM Phantoms in the stash. 

• Like 7

Decent plastic. I know I know ZM is out with their uber kit, so why to bother with 1/48? Because when you open the box you’re not overtaken by horror caused  by over-engineered plastic puzzle. 

Build thread should follow as soon as I get my eye surgery done. 

447FA436-2801-4D28-8D01-58540500072A.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1