Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Just arrived and my next planned build after the Spitfire. AM is also starting to arrive to help enhance an excellent kit. Even though the kit does contain die cut masks, I opted for the Eduard set as it's for both sides of the canopy glass Waiting for a few more AM additions at this point.  

28Kpmf.jpg

A cockpit without a Quinta detail set, unheard of these days.

qrTHRP.jpg

• Like 6

17 hours ago, HubertB said:

Your MFH builds got me seriously tempted by their 917, either in their livery as your Fujimi kit, or as the spectacular Le Mans 71 long tails …

The 917 vs 512 is the duel that got me sold to Posrche in my youth. (Apart from a 365 Daytona) I was never since a fan of Ferraris. But I am up to my 3d Porsche :)

Sorry to be the fire starter, Hubert ;). The 917 is indeed a true icon and somehow a statement of a past era. Personally, I prefer the short tail versions, but that´s only shape wise, without any historical or sentimental reason.
@BlrwestSiR Carl mentioned yesterday in my Cobra Coupe build log a company producing 3D-printed car kits in large scale. They also have a 917 in 1/12 scale available. Maybe it´s an option for you as well.

Modelparts for Sale! - mezzo-mix-models-modeling (jimdo.com)

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Sorry to be the fire starter, Hubert ;). The 917 is indeed a true icon and somehow a statement of a past era. Personally, I prefer the short tail versions, but that´s only shape wise, without any historical or sentimental reason.
@BlrwestSiR Carl mentioned yesterday in my Cobra Coupe build log a company producing 3D-printed car kits in large scale. They also have a 917 in 1/12 scale available. Maybe it´s an option for you as well.

Modelparts for Sale! - mezzo-mix-models-modeling (jimdo.com)

Cheers Rob

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice helo kit there Peter. I'll be looking froward to watching your build. 

Flying Leathernecks just released a decal sheet for it. They had it at the Nats. 

Thanks Carl for the heads up on the Flying Leathernecks Decal sheet - I'll check it out. The kit comes with Cartograf decals and it's always hard not to use them.  

Glad you will be onboard for the journey.

10 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice helo kit there Peter. I'll be looking froward to watching your build. 

Flying Leathernecks just released a decal sheet for it. They had it at the Nats. 

• Like 2

We got back last night from Chicago. I came home to a couple packages for me. First up was from Reskit. 

Stuff for several kits in the stash, including the last bit for my AH-64 after getting decals at the Nats. 

1000014591.thumb.jpg.54dd53f9048e5a81250b0f92b967ea93.jpg

1000014592.thumb.jpg.aeee289c92b45bafe8f0028599bcb04c.jpg

Then there was a box from Sprue Brothers. 

1000014599.thumb.jpg.b842ac1fb63fb0237f00973abc543a7a.jpg

1000014600.thumb.jpg.5fbd94e5624a3642ccc1a7627c3c646e.jpg

Great timing there if the new GB ends up being desert related I can do an RAF Kittyhawk. 

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Fix typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Might have mentioned once.... or thirty times how much I love Pantherers ....having travelled around Europe photographing many of the survivors and built it in numerous scales over and over.  

Anyhooo, just came on release day , Rye Fields steel wheel Pantherer G . Tamiya's G is ok ish ...but this one really in the mutz nutz, be interesting to see how it compares to the Meng one I did a little while ago . Plastic tracks will be ditched for some Fruils ... and when the nights draw in a nice Panther to build is always something special in the Womble abode. One of the LSSAH's abandoned in Stoumont is a possibility ...because I might as well have done the whole Koy by now . 😁

temp-Image8nhb-NP.avif

temp-Image0vy-Hra.avif

temp-Image1-SMwff.avif

temp-Image-EW2oo-Q.avif

temp-Image-A07-DAd.avif

In other news my Airfix Bulldog arrived a while ago, so now no more buying just building for 2024. 

Cheeerzzz

• Like 10

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

"If you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?"

PXL_20240725_173031366.thumb.jpg.2a81aef810824b2ab0d9f1e403582f5d.jpg

Is it finished yet………stunning build Carl…….oh is that in the f……….

• Haha 2

On 7/22/2024 at 7:45 PM, PanzerWomble said:

Might have mentioned once.... or thirty times how much I love Pantherers ....having travelled around Europe photographing many of the survivors and built it in numerous scales over and over.  

Anyhooo, just came on release day , Rye Fields steel wheel Pantherer G . Tamiya's G is ok ish ...but this one really in the mutz nutz, be interesting to see how it compares to the Meng one I did a little while ago . Plastic tracks will be ditched for some Fruils ... and when the nights draw in a nice Panther to build is always something special in the Womble abode. One of the LSSAH's abandoned in Stoumont is a possibility ...because I might as well have done the whole Koy by now . 😁

temp-Image8nhb-NP.avif

temp-Image0vy-Hra.avif

temp-Image1-SMwff.avif

temp-Image-EW2oo-Q.avif

temp-Image-A07-DAd.avif

In other news my Airfix Bulldog arrived a while ago, so now no more buying just building for 2024. 

Cheeerzzz

I have not done panther kit yet. You should recommend me one kit to start with.

• Like 1

On the way back from the block and house build the other day - stopped by my Australia Post Office to collect this box ...

Screenshot2024-07-27at20_39_43.thumb.png.49c3b265a007de5d63cbced41d7d9670.png

Which contained this

Screenshot2024-07-27at20_40_01.thumb.png.683bfa2a30390eb01ccdcfd41218ea38.png

very well packed and cared for!

Rog :)

• Like 6

Scale warning…………do not even think about it…….

Having only ever built one Spitfire, my last was over fifty years ago and was the Airfix 1A in 24th. The time was due, the Border arrived free of shipping and for the amazing cost of £54.95. The kit includes full engine. Also not interested if the second left dzus fastener should be 5/8” to the right……looking for forward to this, the plastic looks very sharp and comparable to the 190 I have in the same scale……

IMG_8421.thumb.jpeg.78ff086abbae773a3ab617ee2ca50ca3.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Having only ever built one Spitfire, my last was over fifty years ago and was the Airfix 1A in 24th. The time was due, the Border arrived free of shipping and for the amazing cost of £54.95. The kit includes full engine. Also not interested if the second left dzus fastener should be 5/8” to the right……looking for forward to this, the plastic looks very sharp and comparable to the 190 I have in the same scale……

I am hearing mainly good things about these Border 35th scale kits ... would need about 15-20 more kits in this scale before I bought the bullet though ... then I'd probably grab every one!

Rog :)

• Like 6

On 7/27/2024 at 11:47 AM, FullArmor said:

I have not done panther kit yet. You should recommend me one kit to start with.

Don't waste your money on Tamiya A its a dog old rug runner that is embarrassing they still make . Shape is all wrong , road wheels are wrong ...the list goes on and urghh . NO 

Italeri's Panther is cheap , you will need filler , and some thoughts as to how to hide the crap tracks . Huge gap with turret . This shows how bad ...

DSCF6613.jpg

The 1990's Tamiya G is ok , low parts count some simplified details but can be made into a nice model and a good base from some scratching details like knackered side plates . The tracks are wubber solid guide horns and you will struggle to get them to droop off the drive sprocket realistically . 

a1.jpg

Same Panther kit but no zim as it's manufactured post Normandy 

IMG_1449.thumb.jpeg.6e0b37ff55e81c79ac1503e34ad3cc18.jpeg

The MENG is a whole other trip . Much better details ( I like their King Tiger for the same reason) better options . Didn't like the plastic link tracks on the Panther so ditched them for metal which is more my way forward with armour in general . 

Meng-Pantherererer-0022.jpg

What ever route you go , for Most A's and early G's you will need to learn to do zimmerit. The A's in Normandy having this "factory specific" square pattern that you see in tall the pictures

Post sept 44 , so B/Bulge onwards, they came in the factory applied cammo / primer on bare steel. If you want a good reference book find Walter Spielbergers "Panther and it's Variants" as a great primer / thorough reference . The are lots more but if you just want to buy one ...

I'm looking forward to building the Rye Field version , I avoid Dragon TBH , and the Hobby boss should be similar to the MENG based on previous experience ....

For the MENG it was the end of the line for that kitty .....

IMG_0213.thumb.jpeg.0013a6c0360e2479d453f05aa76e7526.jpeg

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Don't waste your money on Tamiya A its a dog old rug runner that is embarrassing they still make . Shape is all wrong , road wheels are wrong ...the list goes on and urghh . NO 

Italeri's Panther is cheap , you will need filler , and some thoughts as to how to hide the crap tracks . Huge gap with turret . This shows how bad ...

DSCF6613.jpg

The 1990's Tamiya G is ok , low parts count some simplified details but can be made into a nice model and a good base from some scratching details like knackered side plates . The tracks are wubber solid guide horns and you will struggle to get them to droop off the drive sprocket realistically . 

a1.jpg

Same Panther kit but no zim as it's manufactured post Normandy 

IMG_1449.thumb.jpeg.6e0b37ff55e81c79ac1503e34ad3cc18.jpeg

The MENG is a whole other trip . Much better details ( I like their King Tiger for the same reason) better options . Didn't like the plastic link tracks on the Panther so ditched them for metal which is more my way forward with armour in general . 

Meng-Pantherererer-0022.jpg

What ever route you go , for Most A's and early G's you will need to learn to do zimmerit. The A's in Normandy having this "factory specific" square pattern that you see in tall the pictures

Post sept 44 , so B/Bulge onwards, they came in the factory applied cammo / primer on bare steel. If you want a good reference book find Walter Spielbergers "Panther and it's Variants" as a great primer / thorough reference . The are lots more but if you just want to buy one ...

I'm looking forward to building the Rye Field version , I avoid Dragon TBH , and the Hobby boss should be similar to the MENG based on previous experience ....

For the MENG it was the end of the line for that kitty .....

IMG_0213.thumb.jpeg.0013a6c0360e2479d453f05aa76e7526.jpeg

Thanks for this detailed info. Definitely i will look into building this👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

That's a great price Phil. Jadlam?

• Like 1

Some after market stuff......

Eduard masks and Tamiya photo-etch for Tamiya's 1/48 Swordfish.

More Eduard Mask Sets for Tamiya's 1/48 Gekko and Hasegawa's 1/32

Ki 48 Hayate. Also an extra set for the Gekko by ASK. (Just in case).

Last; a couple of spray cans of  Mr, Color Spray Character flesh 1. This

is for the "Egg Girl"  kits I have.

DSCN1860_kindlephoto-6670823.jpg

DSCN1862_kindlephoto-6631939.jpg

DSCN1863_kindlephoto-6705510.jpg

• Like 3