Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1:24 Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib car-door

• Administrators

Hi all,

My car-door Typhoon is now finished. As much as this kit can punish the senses, I really do like it very much. Watch out for it in the next reprint of the 'How to Build...' book from Doolittle Media:

15631123_1152372638203207_834826897_o.jp

• Like 13

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, Dances With Wolves said:

Hi Jim.

Cracking 'car door' - you say the Tiffie kit 'punishes the senses'; what's meant by that exactly? 

TTFN

Steve

The endless hours, days scraping the seams on the cockpit parts due to tooling misalignment, and the cowls. Fitting those is enough to make a saint swear. Two of these, and the second was no easier. Still, it's a kit I love, and I'd easily build another. If this was tooled by another factory instead of those clowns in India, this kit would be perfect.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, James H said:

The endless hours, days scraping the seams on the cockpit parts due to tooling misalignment, and the cowls. Fitting those is enough to make a saint swear. Two of these, and the second was no easier. Still, it's a kit I love, and I'd easily build another. If this was tooled by another factory instead of those clowns in India, this kit would be perfect.

Thanks for that Jim - yes, that does sound quite reminiscent. I think I referred to the cowl sanding on my North African car door as 'industrial'. I have slider and car door production kits in the loft and will build them both eventually.

I was reminded by the Tamiya 1/32 Mossie I finished recently, what accurate mould alignment looks like. No reason why Airfix can't hit that standard too and now tooling is a UK based exercise, hopefully it'll become the case. I had a chat with Matt on the design team at Telford last year and the 'other' reason for repatriating the injection bit was 'problems with the plastic'. When the canopy issues on the slider were all the rage, one of the Indian operatives remarked 'but it's only a toy aeroplane'. Stone the bleeding' crows...

Steve    

• Like 1