Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

Engines finished and ready for the mounts and final external wires. I have to say that no only are the Vallejo metallics really convincing but they dry rock hard in a few minutes. I'm used to the old enamels (particularly Testors) that basically never dried! It was handy of Airfix to have you put the propeller hub on during engine construction as it makes a great holder.

IMG_2785.thumb.JPG.da16654cb820958695b824cea05b421e.JPGIMG_2784.thumb.JPG.69017bcbb7dad2904ff18a755e984149.JPG

• Like 10

Yes, I’m using all acrylics. I have copper, brass, gunmetal, aluminim, silver and steel in Vallejo paints. I’m also using a rust wash for good effect. The engine is mostly flat black with graphite rubbed in but the copper is painted copper color with a little highlighting with a dusting of silver and rust wash sprayed in the corners with a mix of silvers for the “clamps” and some black wash for the edges.

• Like 4

Hit my first real issue with the kit. All the engine mounts (2 parts per side) were either broken on the sprue or broke cutting them off the sprue. Apparently I wasn’t careful enough with the huge sprues but they were delicate. I ended up gluing wire to the back of them to reinforce them. Finished the kit tubing and started scratch building the other wires on this side. Also rechecked my references and found that most of the kit provided tubes were the copper cooling lines.

Using very thinly cut strips of aluminum tape for the wire wraps. Sticky, strong and pliable with tweezers.

F2F552D2-7258-43DC-9DFD-B69FE37D6175.jpeg

• Like 6

My goodness there is a lot of copper cooling pipe! I discovered that this metallic polishes great with a dry brush. Think I'm getting some convincing copper. Also added the missing bit of engine mount.

0905181523a.jpg

• Like 6

Pete

Very nice work on adding the details to the Merlins that Aixfix should have. Included for a 24th scale kit. Fully agree about the copper pipes... on my Tamiya kit I spent a lot of time painting them mainly with Alclad Copper if I remember correctly but they add so much to the finished engine.

Looking mighty good

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1

I'm starting with the base copper then using a rust wash in the nooks and crannies and at the ends to give it some shading. Then some black wash at the joints. Polishing the middle and upper parts so they have a nice gradient across the piece. I need to keep using my wife's phone LOL. The lens cover on mine is broken so the photos come out soft and oddly lit since the lens is shooting through a bunch of cracks.IMG_2789.thumb.JPG.740e1d3ddd47bf06304e5d1622d8fd5c.JPG

• Like 6