The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

There aren't many panel lines on the wooden Mossy wings but there are some noticeable bulges from the spars. Used aluminum tape and built up primer for most of them (tape removed) but left the outer leading edge bulge since that is prominent in photos. Also started trying to change the kits anhedral to dihedral (yes, with a torch).

Also working on ordinance.

0924180855.jpg

0925180727.jpg

0925180731.jpg

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Good stuff was there much anhedral?

The wing was level on the bottom but because of the taper at the top, the effect was several degrees of anhedral. There should be a couple of degrees of dihedral just outside of the nacelles with the center section being flat.

• Like 5

Whoops, I fatally damaged my wing. I overheated one side and it distorted back 1/4". Noticeable and makes the flaps not fit. Going to have to contact Airfix and see if they have a replacement...d'oh!

Meanwhile, worked on some smalls.

IMG_2811.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks to the show "James May Toy Stories" where he built a 1/1 scale "Airfix" Spitfire, I knew that Airfix had a stock of old models from which you could order parts. Two emails and one phone call later, a new Mosquito upper wing is coming from the UK! Very efficient process and happy they had the part from a kit that had been out of production for 6 years.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2018 at 3:45 PM, PeteF said:

Thanks to the show "James May Toy Stories" where he built a 1/1 scale "Airfix" Spitfire, I knew that Airfix had a stock of old models from which you could order parts. Two emails and one phone call later, a new Mosquito upper wing is coming from the UK! Very efficient process and happy they had the part from a kit that had been out of production for 6 years.

You were very lucky the "boneyard" disappeared when the guy looking after it retired and they moved into new premises but well done for getting one. I had to produce receipts and then got sent a whole 1/24 hurricane to replace a gunsight! 

• Like 2

Drew the plane codes and sent to a friend who might be able to cut these as masks. Got the Montex masks for the rest. This plane was in 487 New Zealand squadron, served in the Amiens raid with a pilot with my last name and both he and this plane survived the war. The pilot went on to do gunnery training in Spitfires and returned to New Zealand to his postmaster job and the plane was struck off charge in 1945 after serving 487 squadron RNZAF, then 464 squadron RAAF and back to 487 RNZAF before being SOC 12/20/45.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 8.53.02 PM.png

• Like 4