The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

Scratch building parts has its challenges. The Mossy has more of the same part in each nacelle than "mirrored" parts. I keep screwing up left and right. Made progress with the wheel wells. Note the retract piston is on the same side of each nacelle.

0916181531.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PeteF said:

Scratch building parts has its challenges. The Mossy has more of the same part in each nacelle than "mirrored" parts. I keep screwing up left and right. Made progress with the wheel wells. Note the retract piston is on the same side of each nacelle.

0916181531.jpg

That's what the real Mossie had too. The undercarriage legs are not handed and one set of tooling can be used to make a complete set of undercarriage legs.

Very nice work on those nacelles.

Cheers

Cees

• Like 3

Finished the landing gear (other than adding the brake tube to the wheels and the gear door guards). Fiddly...even knowing it was fiddly it was a 2 day grind to get it all right. Had issues with the resin wheels/tires with paint lifting even though I'd primered them so had to fix that with a brush and had to sleeve the axles to fit the wheels...lots of scratch built detail that was missing from the wheel wells. Broke parts that had to be fixed in-situ...yeah this would never have lasted as all-plastic gear. Pretty satisfying to have it done though. Have to finish one of the engines then can put the nacelles together.

gear.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great result, shame, that all the fine work will be partly hidden in the nacelles.

Cheers Rob

So much of the detail in this plane is on the bottom that I’m going to display it on a mirror.

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words. Actually I'm finding that I'm struggling with the same issue I used to have with modeling which is the basic assembly. I'm using too much glue, having trouble filling and leveling the seams and breaking parts that don't naturally end up where they should be. I find that the intermediate years have taught me a lot about painting and detailing and have given me a much greater subject matter understanding (which makes it easier to interpret photos and diagrams into actual parts) but I still can't seem to do basic things like cut a piece of styrene pipe straight or make a little "box" that is symmetrical. There seems to be a finite "resolution" to how fiddly of things I can accurately make. I'd be hopeless in 1/48 scale LOL.

• Like 2