The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/24 Airfix Scale Mosquito build

More cockpit work including a frustrating but eventually successful attempt at little toggle switches. Eventually made a panel of thin styrene, marked and punched dents for position and cut small bits of lead wire and CA glued them in place. Then used side cutters to cut them to the right length. The airfix panel and tubes on the starboard cockpit were pretty good otherwise. Needed a couple of more wires from my reference.

Added the oxygen hose I made a while back and some more fiddly detail t the port side. Hose isn’t attached here.

D9729DD1-00D6-4D65-A9BB-155703B8CE51.jpeg

C12CC17F-8291-4F12-92B1-6345FF8C5CEF.jpeg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

I believe those spar strenghteners are a post war mod and not used during wartime.

Cees

Ah, good to know before I get the new wing. Pity though, the wing lacks detail.

• Like 3

On 9/29/2018 at 2:26 PM, airscale said:

very, very nice :)

wish I could get back & finish mine - it's the kit that got me back into modelling after a 20 year break

you are making a superb job of this one :)

Peter

Interesting that it was the same kit that got me back into modeling...though hardly at the same level as you sir!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PeteF said:

Ah, good to know before I get the new wing. Pity though, the wing lacks detail.

That's the Mossie for you, as smooth as silk. A wonderful airframe with impressive performance but a boring model to paint:D

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

That's the Mossie for you, as smooth as silk. A wonderful airframe with impressive performance but a boring model to paint:D

I'll probably still make a hint of it by masking it, building some primer up and removing the mask so I have a line to add some weathering to :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

What a clever idea. Aluminium tape has many uses. Also very handy doing canopy frames.

Thanks, the only problem is the Vallejo primer and paint don’t adhere well at all so the paint easily lifts from these parts and they could never be touched with masking tape,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeteF said:

Thanks, the only problem is the Vallejo primer and paint don’t adhere well at all so the paint easily lifts from these parts and they could never be touched with masking tape,

Cool idea with the aluminum tape, I will store that on my 'in brain hard drive'

After playing around with different acrylic based primers, I went back to my tustworthy Tamiya rattle can pimer, especially while using different materials like PE-metal and resin with the plastic. Live is to short to stay in constant fear of ruining a paintjob, because you peeled everything off with some piece of masking tape.

I don't use that formula for paints, but for a primer my saying is if it stinks terrible it's the right stuff :stirthepot:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

Weathered the nacelles.  Found many pics of oil pouring out of the cowling at that center seam. I believe in "additive" weathering. From my experiences with an oily plane, the dirt, grime, grease and oil is always stuck onto the plane. I have seen the trend towards "under" shading but I thought I'd experiment with pigments...it was easier to get a really grimy plane quickly than restrain it to the level I wanted so I had to do some over-painting to tone it down. I used gloss varnish over the oil to make that shiny. I also found that stippling a damp brush with pigment on it did a nicer job of exhaust soot than airbrushing did. But there's still plenty of airbrushing here.

1004181145_HDR.jpg

• Like 5