The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

New 1/32 Mig-23BN conversion set from HpH

Martinnfb

They based their choice of the subtype on what use to be in service with the Czechoslovak Air Force. I recall as I went somewhere with my Dad, detouring by the blocked highway, observing this....from a safe distance ... naturally :)

• Like 3

From HpH's point of view it was a wise decision to tackle the BN.

Just as you quite rightly said: operated by the CSFR and still a good many actual, more or less intact BN airframes only a stone's throw away from their doorstep. I'm 100% sure those who buy the HpH MiG-23BN "plug & play" conversion will enjoy building it, since the baseline MiG-23MF kit won't require any major plastic surgeries. Which is, in my view, great news.

• Like 3

There is so much wrong about Migs released by Trumpeter, that we can only wait for somebody else to pitch in. You guys pick one, 21, 29, 23,19 and will show you the mayhem of proportional disarray . 

Having said that , Mig-23 done right, depends on version, requires a lot more then just canopy and undercarriage . The list goes on and on. I believe Ivan was commenting on the subject in number of occasions with drawings etc.

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

There is so much wrong about Migs released by Trumpeter, that we can only wait for somebody else to pitch in. You guys pick one, 21, 29, 23,19 and will show you the mayhem of proportional disarray . 

Having said that , Mig-23 done right, depends on version, requires a lot more then just canopy and undercarriage . The list goes on and on. I believe Ivan was commenting on the subject in number of occasions with drawings etc.

Landing gear, nose, cockpit, seat, canopy, exhaust, wing anhedral, intakes, shoulders, panel lines, you name it, it needs it, it's a total rework, but with some plastic surgery, Zacto's goodies, resin nozzle, and the HPH set, it'll be darn close I think.

• Like 3

Ernie's right. The HpH set is the best bet to turn the clusterf***ed Trumpeter kit into a fairly accurate rendition of an actual MiG-23. Even if it's one of the duckbills.

The M/MF as well as the ML/MLD boxings are among the most seriously flawed kits ever released by Trumpeter. Period. However, it really depends on what you want: If you want a reasonably detailed kit that builds up quite nicely, looks "23ish" from 300ft away and you don't care about accuracy in general or you may want a plastic rendition of the 4+ drawings, go for it.  But in case you want a kit that "looks right" in terms of shape and proportions, you might be in trouble.

To properly fix any of the 32nd scale Trumpeter MiG-23 boxings you'd need at least an all-new fwd fuselage for the M/MF boxings, another all-new fwd fuselage for the ML/MLD kits, all-new transparencies (windshield and canopy) and a new rear fuselage. As is, the rear fuselage depicts too little taper at the top and too much taper at the bottom. All this given, the MLG (oleo and trailing link compression) will be the smallest problem.

VVS MiG-23M:

ehLHv3x.jpg

3fRRzIE.jpg

LSK/LV MiG-23MLA, 615kg/1355lbs lighter (empty):

x96GOXp.jpg

l0f5d6D.jpg

Just for fun - MiG-23 main landing gear origami:

• Like 3

Indeed, it seems strange. Such a slip would be sorta atypical for HpH.

There are only three instances where you'd find a BN without the Delta-NM fairing:

• derelict and incomplete museum exhibits.
  • late Indian AF MiG-23BN (Delta-NM pod generally omitted)
  • if the a/c was equipped with wing glove MBD3-U2T-1/-1M tandem ejector racks.

htRKM9A.jpg

The exception - "9139" with MBD3 racks, Delta-NM fairing removed:

lwxJIEo.jpg

The rule - "9139" with Delta-NM fairing:

HNkZylF.jpg

Anyway, I PM'ed Mirek on "LSP/TOS" regarding this matter...

• Like 1

Those toying with the idea of purchasing the HpH conversion might want to consider to add one of the Aires MiG-23 exhaust nozzle sets to their shopping list as well. The Aires nozzle sets (#2136 and #2146) are great assets to improve overall detailing and to correct one of the most glaring weak spots of the baseline Trumpeter MiG-23MF kit: afterburner duct and afterburner nozzle installation.

The HpH conversion comes with an accurately reproduced MiG-23BN fixed nozzle shroud. Once installed, the BN shroud being shorter and wider than the original nozzle petal assembly. you might end up staring into a yawning void lacking pretty much any detail.

pr066Mp.jpg

bGpKntr.jpg

tEBPibA.jpg

sx9zazp.jpg

• Like 3

Alright, let's do this...

I was just in the neighbourhood, so I took the measurements from a BN on Saturday and drew up stuff in 2D. Next stop: 3D, SLA printing...

(Affirmative. I couldn't resist any longer and ordered the HpH set...)

YXmQknw.jpg

WvGWw36.jpg

(dashed line = wing glove leading edge)

• Like 2