Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

18 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Auto safety has really come a long way. But it can only do so much. 

It certainly has run the cost of cars up.  As mentioned before, I was a bodyman back in the ‘80’s.  I kind of ignored the past profession as I worked on my retirement plans in my new career.  When the “new” S550 Mustang came out in 2015 I was seeing internet postings of new Mustangs heading to the boneyard with what looked like minor damage because of the cost to repair exceeded the value. Of..A..New…Car.  WTH?  So I started looking into it. 
S550 “cage” built for safety is 13 different types of metals.  Let’s say the A pillar or B pillar (door opening) gets damaged.  Back in my day we could easily cut out the damaged area and splice in the new repair panel.

Not anymore.  Requirements now are the entire panel must be replaced and ANY associated damage it’s welded to has to be replaced and not straightened because it’s already done it’s job and probably won’t work again if needed. 
Ok, to get to that A/B pillar panel you have to get a few things out of the way.  
1). Front, rear and side glass.  And these always break coming out because they’re no longer just glass, but bonded strength of the chassis. 
2). Roof skin

3). Quarter panel- has to come off, new QP required because they don’t unbolt  

4). fender which means the front bumper cover assembly comes off.  

5). trunk lid and hood.  At least they bolt on.

EDIT: 6).  Also have to pull off the door and associated wiring harness that goes through the A pillar  

When Ford brought out the all aluminum trucks, the first one documented with major repairs was a team effort between the bodyshop, Ford engineers and a welding machine company and suppliers like 3M.  Total cost for the repair exceeded the cost of the truck.  If I remember correctly, it was $80,000 plus to repair, but written off as research by Ford.  New welding equipment was designed for these repairs as was bonding agents.  The truck spent over a year in the shop.  Ford gave the owner another truck to drive in the meantime. 
Of course all above I’d paraphrased because it was an article I read many years ago.  

• Like 2

In a related story, my son had a 2017 Mustang GT for a short while.  He got hit sitting at a red light. Bent the left front frame just a tiny bit.   He took it to a shop that was not updated and kept up with technology and new requirements. He was more of an old school restoration shop.  
He repaired the frame the old school way using heat and pulling it back into place.  GEICO adjuster signed off on the repair. 
Fast forward 6 months. Son hits a buzzard as it took off from a dead carcass on the side of the road.  Took the car back to a real collision center.  They took one look and would not touch the car. GEICO told him he was on his own. 
I told my son to remind his adjuster that GEICO signed off on that last repair and we can get nasty lawyers involved if they wanted to.  
They promptly totaled the car. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

It certainly has run the cost of cars up.  As mentioned before, I was a bodyman back in the ‘80’s.  I kind of ignored the past profession as I worked on my retirement plans in my new career.  When the “new” S550 Mustang came out in 2015 I was seeing internet postings of new Mustangs heading to the boneyard with what looked like minor damage because of the cost to repair exceeded the value. Of..A..New…Car.  WTH?  So I started looking into it. 
S550 “cage” built for safety is 13 different types of metals.  Let’s say the A pillar or B pillar (door opening) gets damaged.  Back in my day we could easily cut out the damaged area and splice in the new repair panel.

Not anymore.  Requirements now are the entire panel must be replaced and ANY associated damage it’s welded to has to be replaced and not straightened because it’s already done it’s job and probably won’t work again if needed. 
Ok, to get to that A/B pillar panel you have to get a few things out of the way.  
1). Front, rear and side glass.  And these always break coming out because they’re no longer just glass, but bonded strength of the chassis. 
2). Roof skin

3). Quarter panel- has to come off, new QP required because they don’t unbolt  

4). fender which means the front bumper cover assembly comes off.  

5). trunk lid and hood.  At least they bolt on.

EDIT: 6).  Also have to pull off the door and associated wiring harness that goes through the A pillar  

When Ford brought out the all aluminum trucks, the first one documented with major repairs was a team effort between the bodyshop, Ford engineers and a welding machine company and suppliers like 3M.  Total cost for the repair exceeded the cost of the truck.  If I remember correctly, it was $80,000 plus to repair, but written off as research by Ford.  New welding equipment was designed for these repairs as was bonding agents.  The truck spent over a year in the shop.  Ford gave the owner another truck to drive in the meantime. 
Of course all above I’d paraphrased because it was an article I read many years ago.  

It seems car repairs of any sort these days require an engineering degree with a minor in electrical systems and maybe job experience as a law clerk. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

It seems car repairs of any sort these days require an engineering degree with a minor in electrical systems and maybe job experience as a law clerk. 

And sadly finding schools that teach it are far and few in between.  I went to Trident Tech in N. Charleston back in 1981-82.  They closed the program down instead of investing in new equipment required for repairing newer model cars. 
When I went the instructor was an old school guy already in his 70’s.  He taught me how to apply lead instead of plastic fillers. All I can say is if anyone brags about how their car is done in lead and no plastic fillers, I just ask “But why?”   I’ve seen very few justifications for lead over the years with polyester fillers made now. 

• Like 2

Sorry to redirect the flow, I just picked up the 🦊 body from the shop. We’re expecting a weather change next week and I don’t want to run it on salty or wet surface. 
however I had a chance to uninstall the alarm system and got a battery tender in preparation for a long winter. I am still dealing with some electrical issues, but that can be done in my garage. In matter of fact I rather trace it myself. No offence to the current level craftsmanship. But it seems that nobody takes pride in their work anymore and techs nowadays are not trained to think outside the box. 

IMG_1444.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Sorry to redirect the flow, I just picked up the 🦊 body from the shop. We’re expecting a weather change next week and I don’t want to run it on salty or wet surface. 
however I had a chance to uninstall the alarm system and got a battery tender in preparation for a long winter. I am still dealing with some electrical issues, but that can be done in my garage. In matter of fact I rather trace it myself. No offence to the current level craftsmanship. But it seems that nobody takes pride in their work anymore and techs nowadays are not trained to think outside the box. 

IMG_1444.jpeg

When I sent my son to auto tech school he was driving a 20 yo Mustang (1995) that you had to use a timing light on it.  They were working on it in class and I asked him if they set the timing. He chuckled and said they don’t teach that anymore.  Haven’t had to adjust timing on a car since before Y2K. 
Amazed they didn’t discuss theory and what it encompasses.  
Hell, I went to electronics school and had to learn tube technology.  
But you’re very right. A skilled craftsman mechanic is hard to find because everyone is trained on OEM new stuff that pays the bills.  One reason I’m so proud of my son landing his job of building classics with modern flair and highly detailed. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hauled this primo little number out of the back of my garage.  Time to fix the cosmetics.  It runs like a champ!

These old Crown Vics have always been collectible, especially one like this, the first year Crown Vic:1955.

They took a huge beating in price in the last few years, but they still bring respectable numbers. Paint, a bit of chrome plating, and a good detailing will make this car shine!

2A629A50-6B40-49CB-95DF-86DF56CDC8D9.jpeg

A6F5CD34-A0DB-4916-BFC3-4EC14E791088.jpeg

D0C339AA-2CCF-484C-AD8E-E090BA8CF7AD.jpeg

8DD6127E-1794-4D82-96B9-7B5DDDCAD8EA.jpeg

1D8C304F-5ED2-46FC-84B9-E0DEAFFE5C26.jpeg

AA1F72C7-0B79-44D3-B537-93619EEA02B9.jpeg

50E009E1-72FE-4864-9272-52F491E7A04E.jpeg

F24F94F7-CE99-4C90-9A89-F864E3C9D89A.jpeg

44028A62-018E-4493-A51B-BA8C60892EA1.jpeg

AA44E563-5E7C-4124-A91F-CD1835E8A3E8.jpeg

E7374BED-75EB-46A0-A2B8-BABCD7646773.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice couple of cars Ernie. With the pickups you also have, just how big is that garage of yours?

As it also holds « the stash », it’s quite big. I have an outside view in exclusivity for y’all …

Hubert

IMG_0335.jpeg

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, HubertB said:

As it also holds « the stash », it’s quite big. I have an outside view in exclusivity for y’all …

Hubert

IMG_0335.jpeg

That seems to fit dimensionally. I heard George Lucas used the interior for that famous shot from Raiders of the Lost Ark. 

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-warehouse.thumb.jpg.ec9af8b12ff72a62bce76bc11945dbc6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice couple of cars Ernie. With the pickups you also have, just how big is that garage of yours?

I have my 97 F-250 diesel that I use on the ranch and at work.

As for an old truck, I have a 55 F100, but it’s in about 5000 pieces.

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 hours ago, HubertB said:

Hubert

IMG_0335.jpeg

That’s Hilarious!

I missed out on a 1958 Auto Union the other day. A cute little postwar German 2 stroke car.

I certainly like wrenching on these mid 50s cars, Fords in particular. I’m good at it, and have been working on 55-56 Ford’s since I was 14.  But yes, ai have a few too many. Problem is, I see an easy, simple fix, while others see a costly nightmare.  So I get them for next to nothing.  Mid 50s Chevys are way overvalued, while mid 50s Fords are way undervalued. 
Underbthe skin, these use the same powertrain as the 55-57 2 seat Thunderbirds. 

• Like 3

On 11/12/2023 at 1:06 AM, Clunkmeister said:

Hauled this primo little number out of the back of my garage.  Time to fix the cosmetics.  It runs like a champ!

These old Crown Vics have always been collectible, especially one like this, the first year Crown Vic:1955.

They took a huge beating in price in the last few years, but they still bring respectable numbers. Paint, a bit of chrome plating, and a good detailing will make this car shine!

2A629A50-6B40-49CB-95DF-86DF56CDC8D9.jpeg

A6F5CD34-A0DB-4916-BFC3-4EC14E791088.jpeg

D0C339AA-2CCF-484C-AD8E-E090BA8CF7AD.jpeg

8DD6127E-1794-4D82-96B9-7B5DDDCAD8EA.jpeg

1D8C304F-5ED2-46FC-84B9-E0DEAFFE5C26.jpeg

AA1F72C7-0B79-44D3-B537-93619EEA02B9.jpeg

50E009E1-72FE-4864-9272-52F491E7A04E.jpeg

F24F94F7-CE99-4C90-9A89-F864E3C9D89A.jpeg

44028A62-018E-4493-A51B-BA8C60892EA1.jpeg

AA44E563-5E7C-4124-A91F-CD1835E8A3E8.jpeg

E7374BED-75EB-46A0-A2B8-BABCD7646773.jpeg

Going to LS swap it while you’re working on it?

🤪

Go ahead, I deserve it.  🤡

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...