The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

8 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I’m of the opinion now, if I read and worry about accuracy debates, I would never build anything. I read that there was a Lancaster repair facility south of Lincoln. Apparently they chopped and welded anything and everything together to send an airworthy plane. ……….

And then, what... :rofl:?

image.jpeg.0a31ff79327a36ae9bd37a5857cdea92.jpeg

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Lancia 2.0, this one is a shapeshifter. I gave it a coat of dark yellow, which will be the lighter camo color. Next, I will put on small blobs of Panzer Putty or Blue Tak, depends on which works better for the yellow dots. Then I will spray olive green and then paint the borderlines with a brush or marker in flat black.

IMG_0367.thumb.JPG.8037b2170f3805454a29f42384a42a4a.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks really good there Rob. 

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Nice progress as the first color of the cammo finish looks smooth as silk.

Muchas gracias amigos,

but the Lancia got a desease :D. It's only Panzer Putty, which adheres well, but tends to flow over night and I had to redo the first dots, because of this. You have to work fast with that stuff.

IMG_0368.thumb.JPG.6a597cd5bebfdbaa4aa3fd6f1ba18b81.JPG

Then I applied a coat of field gray over the dark yellow, carefully from all sides, to keep the sharp contours. I removed the PP-blobs carefully with a ball of the stuff, which is sticky enough to lift them after only half an hour of drying time. 

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.ea94144298cda480ca8ba52b733526db.JPG

IMG_0370.thumb.JPG.aedaaa1cf87a386585595d0568ff28c9.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DocRob said:

Muchas gracias amigos,

but the Lancia got a desease :D. It's only Panzer Putty, which adheres well, but tends to flow over night and I had to redo the first dots, because of this. You have to work fast with that stuff.

IMG_0368.thumb.JPG.6a597cd5bebfdbaa4aa3fd6f1ba18b81.JPG

Then I applied a coat of field gray over the dark yellow, carefully from all sides, to keep the sharp contours. I removed the PP-blobs carefully with a ball of the stuff, which is sticky enough to lift them after only half an hour of drying time. 

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.ea94144298cda480ca8ba52b733526db.JPG

IMG_0370.thumb.JPG.aedaaa1cf87a386585595d0568ff28c9.JPG

Cheers Rob

That's a technique im dying to try out, Rob, only with Silly putty, which I have loads of.

I wonder, before applying, if the putty was rolled flat perhaps, if that would stop much

of the flow that you describe. I may give this a try. Anyway, great job as i previously said.

I'm following your work on your Lancia ....as I follow all your work as I have the same kit.

Thanks;

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HubertB said:

The Batmobile has turned into a beetle …

Oh my, Hubert, why can't Porschistas not differentiate between a Lancia and a Beetle :D. Batman in a Beetle, cool thought.
But you're absolutely right, there are some undeniable similarities between the Lancia and the Insect in your pic. The Italians were well known for their weird camos, but this seems even a little razzle dazzle. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

7 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

That's a technique im dying to try out, Rob, only with Silly putty, which I have loads of.

I wonder, before applying, if the putty was rolled flat perhaps, if that would stop much

of the flow that you describe. I may give this a try. Anyway, great job as i previously said.

I'm following your work on your Lancia ....as I follow all your work as I have the same kit.

Thanks;

Thank you Paul, I'm blushing. I don't know about Silly putty, but Panzer Putty tends to flow a lot with time and gravity. It helps to apply it thin and to work fast. Blue Tack might be better in that way, but it is also a bit harder to give it the right shape. Panzer Putty flows easily into small crevices and sharp angled parts, that's why I used it here.
The work area shouldn't be too warm, which enhances the flow and you shouldn't squeeze the stuff for too long, which has a similar effect. 
If you use either stuff for masking, make sure that you airbrush from different directions with thin layers to avoid differently sharp contours around the blobs.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, great camo. Sounds like the Panzer Putty is similar to the AK Camo Putty I use. The gravity aspect of it is amazing, I did one camo,left it over night and excess was hanging off the fuselage. Ironically it had left a perfect thin masking area on the plane…….

I think it's the same stuff Phil. Lucky you, that it worked to your advantage, I had to redo the blobs from the day before, as they were tearing badly.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Should have done a WIP about the Lancia, but thought, I would not have enough time, so I will continue here.
I tried two options with the black bordering. The first, although it was my favorite got skipped. Brush painting was too delicate to get right with even lining width all around. I would have liked to use Nato black instead of pure black.
The option shown on the pic was made with a marker, let dry and oversprayed with Tamiya LP flat clear, which luckily didn't alter the marker, but wasn't flat at all. I will use matted Future / Pledge for the rest of the vehicle, but found the general look of the camo promising. It has to be toned down a bit in the end. The drawing and the test fender part are not the same scale, so the pattern should be near to the real thing.

Cheers Rob

IMG_0371.thumb.JPG.7bc9a43717e2e6180f30ceffd8030e3c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

The cammo test part looks great and I never would have thought of using a marker - surely, food for thought

Thanks Peter, I'm not sure about the marker, because it has a nasty oilish shine, which I hope to get rid of with matte coats and a bit of filtering. After trying, brushing the lines was no more an option, so  I have to take on with the marker.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

I wonder, how this camo is supposed to work in the scrubs of Catalunya, but it disguises the contours of the Lancia for sure.
I applied all the marker borders in black and now have to wait for it to dry thoroughly. Before matte coating, I will have to make some touch ups with a brush and a larger correction on the right side, where the marker was bleeding. painting the camo was a test for the eye :icon_eek:, but I tried to distribute the pattern equally on all sides, concerning the flow of the border lining and the size and shape of the blobs.

Cheers Rob

IMG_0374.thumb.JPG.d2bb4269045a51f3557a3cedd0e29769.JPG

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.fae41c46d48e9350ef8332bb36b9fc49.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Rob

WOW, remarkable. Awesome work on the cammo and the marker was a terrific decision. Sometimes, to obtain an even flat finish, I actually gloss first, now I'm working from a consistent, even base sheen and the flat clear finish sems to work more effectively.  With the marker being oil based, how many days do you think it needs to completely dry?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Peter, unfortunately I have no idea, as to how long it takes for the marker to completely dry. Yesterday, I tried it on the front fender and after six hours I applied a coat of Tamiya's LP flat clear without problems while spraying or now after 24 hours of curing. I first sprayed a very thin coat, let it dry to not affect the dye of the marker strongly. I don't think the marker is oil based, but don't now for sure. It's a normal Edding paint marker, not one of these specialized Gundam markers, which might have been the better choice.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3