Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

Finishing the Tornado while getting the 109 going...

_WW24417.thumb.JPG.420176439c3307a6229884f7074024a3.JPG

Only NOW just figured out that I can cut up the rest of the Eduard Mask sheet to fill in the canopy masking instead of using liquid mask or other tape.

Doh...  :hsmack:

_WW24419_01.thumb.JPG.813ec13484e3aca58106a2211e77901a.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well the left hand is healing nicely and the right is coming along well so some bench time was due.

I'm still working on the PCM Macchi C200, the airframe is all together, the one job that was worrying me was getting the engine and cowling to mate up to the fuselage so I set about it.

First up was getting the positioning of the engine and the cowling right, this required spacers on the nose of the fuselage and also some "stops" inside the cowling to ensure that the engine did not protrude too far out of the cowling. Then the bridge between the fuselage and cowling needed to be fettled to make it fit.

All this required some head scratching which was putting me off working on it but eventually I got there.

Nose spacers

lJEppM.jpg

Engine stops

Q8P4P3.jpg

And the engine fitted

aQ4ubw.jpg

And the result, a tad blurred but it looks about right, nothing is glued yet as I want to get the cowling (Yellow) and airframe (camo) painted first.

ZVJOQo.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

Well the left hand is healing nicely and the right is coming along well so some bench time was due.

I'm still working on the PCM Macchi C200, the airframe is all together, the one job that was worrying me was getting the engine and cowling to mate up to the fuselage so I set about it.

First up was getting the positioning of the engine and the cowling right, this required spacers on the nose of the fuselage and also some "stops" inside the cowling to ensure that the engine did not protrude too far out of the cowling. Then the bridge between the fuselage and cowling needed to be fettled to make it fit.

All this required some head scratching which was putting me off working on it but eventually I got there.

Nose spacers

lJEppM.jpg

Engine stops

Q8P4P3.jpg

And the engine fitted

aQ4ubw.jpg

And the result, a tad blurred but it looks about right, nothing is glued yet as I want to get the cowling (Yellow) and airframe (camo) painted first.

ZVJOQo.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

HI Dennis - most important of all is both hands are healing and you are on the mend - awesome news for sure.

Since you're able to put some nice time in at the bench, just don't overdo it, Some mighty nice progress on the nose end of the PCM Macchi C200. All the fusing and test fitting surely show everything is lining up nice and square.

:construction: 

• Like 4

Thank you for that Peter, it is more tempting to do too much with the right hand than it was with the left, but my ever vigilant better half very quickly shuts me down if I get too adventurous.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see you're able to get back to he bench Dennis. 

Even happier to hear you've got someone making sure you don't get too carried away and set back your recovery. It can do easy to overdo it at times. 

Carl

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Glad to see you're able to get back to he bench Dennis. 

Even happier to hear you've got someone making sure you don't get too carried away and set back your recovery. It can do easy to overdo it at times. 

Carl

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Dennis

The Chief is on the job and will surely keep you in line and following the doctors' orders.

Thank you guys, slowly, slowly, is the way forward.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

Tiny bit of progress on the LRDG. Some more weathering, and I test fit the crew. 

PXL_20240904_205055520.thumb.jpg.6fdb45171f4da6e76c1ffe182f33c210.jpg

PXL_20240904_205113654.thumb.jpg.d4a8356cc03e97bb0a88dda7ab56274b.jpg

PXL_20240904_205102975.thumb.jpg.7eb24ff1ef09a1162d437bc075b4048e.jpg

Unfortunately I noticed at this point that I was missing the right arm for the driver. I contacted Libor at LZ Models and he said he'd send out a replacement so that was great. 

PXL_20240904_205139700.thumb.jpg.d4b6a702551f6daf46051c9a62b2cda8.jpg

The bed is next. Need to make some progress there. 

• Like 11

Good to hear Dennis things are coming together both health and Hobby.What you see here will be the last of this POS build! This makes 2/4 that I am about to give away this one to a co-worker who has a grandson he has more or less adopted  whom I sure will have her flaming quickly(he's 7).I thought I was smart hand painted all the glass,dipped in future,glued in place,appropriate liquid mask applied(?) and then mask removed.......Yeah!The masking agent is water based went right through the future attached to all the paint and whala 2/3 hours of work was gone.It's 1/72 and it's time to move on.;)

sandbox 001.JPG

• Like 10

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The cargo bed is now weathered. 

Dry fit on the chassis. 

PXL_20240906_133440907.thumb.jpg.a740ea529c64e2ec4d3d21e07f5e64f0.jpg

That is looking great, I really must get back into military modelling one day, I always used to find it more relaxing than aircraft.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

Recent acquisition ..how many shelves had this sat on since 1978 ?

Cleaned the box up with some X20-A and the old Roy Huxley artwork looks great 

Want to make an obscure flying boat from the 1930s ...Matchbox was/is the only show in town for the Stranraer in any scale .

We claim manufacturers today, largely ignore main stream UK Cold war stuff ...Matchbox's marketeers had no such fear in the 1970s

"So... next release will be an coastal aircraft that served for only 7 years , no one has heard of it , and less than 60 were ever made ...perfect ...it will sell like hot cakes .!!!"

Sod today's 30 different version of Tiger tank/ Spitfire/ 109 /Mustang lark from the kit makers. They were bold back then ! 

In the 70's this was a premier kit , you can tell ..it's three colours. This is also the first release . 

Seen a few builds on line most reckon it's one of the better Matchbox ones , and the details don't look too bad / heavy. Decals are shot but no dramas to knock up some simple masks. Rigging might be ...er ...challenging , probably why they weren't made and you can pick them up 45 years later. 

But why such a Dinokit PW ...in Braille too ..???

All will be revealed once I've completed the GB builds I'm on ...probably . 😀

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

A look at the Tamiya Mk.IV I've been working on...

Got the decals and the clear on...not sure if I'll do any more. The color came

out a little lighter than I expected. Still got to attach the ditching beam. Didn't weather the tracks as , you may remember, Tamiya

put a motor in these . I will rub the tracks with graphite and then

clear flat.

DSCN1922_kindlephoto-2391126.jpg

DSCN1916_kindlephoto-2356168.jpg

DSCN1918_kindlephoto-2320317.jpg

• Like 9