The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

March / Summer Break build: Mi-24 Hind Tiger Meet

16 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Martin, do the Czechs and Slovaks still use them, or have they changed completely yet?

And I'm SURE Canada will buy the USED ones for our fleet, seems like that's what we do these days................... certainly with the jets.....:(

• Like 4

Always wanted to build one of those since I saw Red Dawn many years ago.  But 1/35 Helicopters start taking up real estate in a display case quickly with those rotors.  I keep my helo's down to 1/48.

Your build is absolutely fantastic.

• Like 4

On 4/3/2019 at 8:50 AM, ScottsGT said:

Always wanted to build one of those since I saw Red Dawn many years ago.  But 1/35 Helicopters start taking up real estate in a display case quickly with those rotors.  I keep my helo's down to 1/48.

Your build is absolutely fantastic.

"Wolverines!!!" 

Thanks Scott! You're right about how much space this sucker is going to take up when done. I'll have to figure something out at that point. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the craziness of all the cockpit PE was giving me conniptions so I decided to take a break from it and work on something else. So I pulled out a Fly Hurricane Mk 1 and...

...sorry, something else on the kit. :lol:

Which in this case was the rotor head. 

IMG_20190415_235905-L.jpg

There's a bunch of small bits and tons of seams as a result. Next up were the underwing weapons and the stub wings. 

IMG_20190414_161037-L.jpg

IMG_20190415_235939-L.jpg

The pylons aren't the greatest fit to the wings so I'm currently plugging away at those. 

Carl

• Like 7

Nice, the ultimate badass copter. I found a build description of one here (German text)

http://kitchecker.com/bauberichte_1/mi-24v_helmut_fraundorfer.htm

There is a book published by Eduard about Czech Mi-24. As it is written in Czech I can't read it, but it has a lot of great pics. Eduard sold the book with their limited edition 1/72 Hind and separately, but it seems out of print now, but might be available elsewhere.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/hind-mi-24-in-czech-and-czechoslovak-service-book.html?listtype=search&searchparam=hind   

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Nice, the ultimate badass copter. I found a build description of one here (German text)

http://kitchecker.com/bauberichte_1/mi-24v_helmut_fraundorfer.htm

There is a book published by Eduard about Czech Mi-24. As it is written in Czech I can't read it, but it has a lot of great pics. Eduard sold the book with their limited edition 1/72 Hind and separately, but it seems out of print now, but might be available elsewhere.

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/hind-mi-24-in-czech-and-czechoslovak-service-book.html?listtype=search&searchparam=hind   

Cheers Rob

Too bad it's in a foreign language.  I'd like to Czech it out!:rofl:

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, time for a long overdue update on this build. 

The Part PE set for the cockpit was wearing me down. There was just way too many, well, parts to deal with. So after not wanting to work on the kit for a couple weeks, I decided some retail therapy was in order and bought the Eduard PE set to use instead.

Once that arrived, I got back to work on the cockpit. 

IMG_20190513_221340-L.jpg

I had to repaint the sidewalls to try and more closely match the prepainted Eduard stuff. 

I used the included seatbelts which were printed on both sides. 

IMG_20190513_221357-L.jpg

Their mounting may not be 100% accurate but I decided to just keep it simple and thereby keep me sane. 

IMG_20190515_092819-L.jpg

IMG_20190515_092827-L.jpg

She may be a bit too clean but it is a show bird after all.

• Like 6

I added the nose gear and bay, which is in shadows and pretty much invisible in this pic.

IMG_20190517_214541-L.jpg

But it's there, honest!:D

I then installed the cabin windows into other fuselage halves and got them ready for joining. 

IMG_20190517_214558-L.jpg

Yes, my bench is THAT cluttered at the moment. 

With the cockpit installed into one side and clamps to keep it solidly in place. 

IMG_20190517_215026-L.jpg

• Like 6

Okay, I got the cockpit in and closed up the fuselage. I started at the tail gluing things the halves together.

IMG_20190517_221123-L.jpg

Because of the warped/cracked fuselage half, the bottom seam was fairly nasty. I had a hard time getting the two halves to meet.

IMG_20190517_221455-L.jpg

After a bunch of clamping and tape, I managed to get them together. There's a step at the join though which will be a pain. Thankfully it's on the bottom. 

The top joint looks better. 

IMG_20190519_232233-L.jpg

After a bit of scraping and sanding, I've thrown on a coat of Mr Surfacer. Hopefully it'll buff out and level things. 

IMG_20190519_232240-L.jpg

• Like 5

Great to see her buttoned up, Carl!  Always a big step ahead once done.  I'm not a big fan of Mr. Surfacer for a filler.  It always seems to shrink a lot just where I don't want it to.  But for giving that rough cast armor appearance, it's tops.

Gaz

• Like 3