The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The Absurdity of it All. Huge airplane models.

Clunkmeister

1 hour ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Instead? Reverting back to Pickelhaube and Stahlhelm M42 again? Goosestepping?  B)
And what's wrong with wearing a beret? (As long as it's worn in a proper size and in a proper manner. And as long as it comes in the only wearable colour - maroon.)

Now you're being a little extreme.  The beret is an ugly little thing that didn't need to be copied.  As for things 'co-opted' by the Nazis:  Is Wagner still allowed in Germany?  I know about the gist of the of those laws, but I haven't devoted much time to studying them.  I feel for the modellers who have to leave their builds incomplete.

Anyway...  it doesn't matter.  It's just my opinion.  The world moves on...

Gaz

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Johann said:

You can not even so big, but also impressive

You're absolutely right, Johann. 

IIRC, Ernie has a pretty soft spot for the Il-76. I guess the cargo bay in 1/72nd scale is large enough to hold a Bluetooth speaker to play the deafening sound of those D-30 series engines. Though I seriously doubt the bond seams would survive this...

• Like 4

I guess the cargo bay in 1/72nd scale is large enough to hold a Bluetooth speaker to play the deafening sound of those D-30 series engines. Though I seriously doubt the bond seams would survive this...

Yes, but the sound will also need to be kept under 1/72 ... That is, we reduce the average 140 decibels of the D-30 engine by 72 times. Only 1.95 dB Ie somewhere around 2 kHz ... 
From about the fourth minute of the video

But you need to accurately calibrate the sound of the speaker.

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

On the other hand, there still is some more traditional regular-issue Bundeswehr headgear - the ubiqitous Feldmütze/Field Cap, the Bergmütze/Ski Cap of the Mountain Troops, and the Luftwaffe as well as the Marine are still issuing the good old Schiffchen/Garrison Cap. Altogether fairly close equivalents to their Wehrmacht predecessors...

I regularly wear a tropical style lightweight feldmutze around here instead of a baseball cap.  The first one I had cost me a Canadian green wool beret when I was posted to Germany in the early and mid 80s.  I've bought a new one every time it wears out.  To me, they're the finest baseball style caps ever made. They're lightweight, doesn't make my head sweat, holds it's shape, and, to me the most important part is that they actually perfectly fit my big square head.  IMHO, it's the best lightweight cap design ever.

Plus, they're different and have just a tiny bit of attitude, having a bit of the DAK field cap look to them.

Massive thread shift here... 

• Like 5

• Administrators

Ooooh, an IL-76. Me likee. Any purpose built "civilian" freight lifter is cool with me.

The Russians had the right idea; if you're going to design a freight hauler with a clean piece of paper, make it an end loader with a ramp for a forklift.  Trust me when I say that side loading freight is no picnic, especially when you have a long day of flying ahead of you. 

Yes, the end ramp limits the appearance and configuration of the final design, making it tougher to appeal to the enlightened civilian crowd, but utility wise, they can't be beat.

I missed the Bristol Freighter era in Northern Canada by several years, but the load toads still sang the praises of that clamshell load door as loudly as the crews hated on them for their lack of landing manners.

Back to the early IL-76 for a moment. Those engines send shivers down my back. It reminds me of the old stovepipe turbojets on the early DC-8s and CV-880s. I get all stirred up inside. 

• Like 3

I really dislike the thought of 1/72.  Despite the fact that I have a small amount of display space, building in that scale is less fun, and far less detailed then I can stand.  Fine exterior details can easily be sanded off in error.

I can stand 1/48, especially when it comes to twins.   But this site and TOS have caused me to drool over some 1/32 builds and consequently I have maybe a dozen 1/32 scale single engine fighters built and still in the box.

Now...  if I could divorce my family and keep the house....

Gaz

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

So if I eliminate all of my  Fw-190s? And few of my WNW kits, I should be good to go with big scale Tu-95..... any takers ? LOL

Some pics of your completed 190 collection would be nice!  irregardless...  I would still build a 1/32 Tu-95.  Even if I had to give it away once completed.

Gaz

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I really dislike the thought of 1/72.  Despite the fact that I have a small amount of display space, building in that scale is less fun, and far less detailed then I can stand.  Fine exterior details can easily be sanded off in error.

I can stand 1/48, especially when it comes to twins.   But this site and TOS have caused me to drool over some 1/32 builds and consequently I have maybe a dozen 1/32 scale single engine fighters built and still in the box.

Now...  if I could divorce my family and keep the house....

Gaz

Well, I agree with you, Gaz. 1/32 was, is, and always will be my scale. But 1/48 has its place in the depiction of larger aircraft.  As for 1/72, well, I agree with you for the most part. If it’s the biggest scale available, and if it’s a huge subject, and if it’s almost impossible to see inside, (think airliners), I’ll deal with 1/72. But it had better be a 3 foot model in 1/72.....

• Like 3

I know you guys have this strange fascination for transports....   God knows why...

BUt if there ain't no guns... (or missiles)  For me there is little interest.  I still haven't built a Ju-52, Li-2, or any transport plane that had a gun.  No love for non-violent models, I guess...lol

Gaz

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I know you guys have this strange fascination for transports....   God knows why...

BUt if there ain't no guns... (or missiles)  For me there is little interest.  I still haven't built a Ju-52, Li-2, or any transport plane that had a gun.  No love for non-violent models, I guess...lol

Gaz

I'm with you. Gaz!

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well Gaz, I spent a few years of my life slogging one around the north country, trying desperately not to kill myself in it, so I guess I owe the freight haulers a bit of love for allowing me to live.

I just like airplanes. I have that 1/48 Ju-52 looking at me, and I’ve spent years collecting all the goodies I need to make a killer 1936 airliner

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Well Gaz, I spent a few years of my life slogging one around the north country, trying desperately not to kill myself in it, so I guess I owe the freight haulers a bit of love for allowing me to live.

I just like airplanes. I have that 1/48 Ju-52 looking at me, and I’ve spent years collecting all the goodies I need to make a killer 1936 airliner

So, what's the hold-up?  The non-LS forum is pretty lonely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Nothing is impossible

Li-2NB and Ju-52

li2nb1.jpg

li2nb2.jpg

li2nb3.jpeg

Ju52-1.jpg

Ju52-2.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Gaz

Well, for me it’s the aboslute rerverse: guns, bombs, camos, and Nazi swastiks are an absolute repeller. Whilst I understand the marketing reasons for a C-47, I am still waiting for a HpH DC-3 ....

Hubert

• Like 2