Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

The Blue Max! Pfalz D.III

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice, HGW or not, I'm buckled in :).

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob!  My first WNW build I fought with the PE belts for hours.  Although the HGW  belts were fiddly, I'm much more satisfied with the results.

10 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, looking fabulous, love your idea of the cigarette papers as lagging. Come to think of it they’d make bed rolls etc........looking forward to the next update :popcorn:

Thank you, Phil!  The cigarette paper idea was given to me by a guy who disappeared from online forums in October.  I still wonder how he's doing.  Another thing to do with cigarette papers is flags for warships.  Print your image onto plain copy paper, tape your ciggy paper over the image with cellophane tape, put the paper back into the printer, print it again, cut the image out of the ciggy paper, scrunch it into a ball, then glue it to your rigging.

tadaa7_zps033b4b9b.jpg

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

I KNEW this was going to be good...............................:wub:

Thank you, Jeff!

• Like 4

This morning I devoted some time to trying to get better photos and paint the engine.

Ei4sp0.jpg

Added the IP...such as it is...

qTZqZO.jpg

And heat-treated the exhaust:

P8XYtN.jpg

I especially avoided red tints as they might allude to rust.  Pretty sure these puppies wouldn't rust is made with a copper alloy.

One part to add (radiator hose) before I close her up.  The directions would have you mount the MG's before you close it up.  I think they'd be hugely in the way while sealing up the fuselage as well as while painting and weathering.   They seem to be attachable with the fuselage closed up...  so, we'll see.

Gaz

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SapperSix said:

I have never gone down the WWI air plane line.  This is interesting stuff Gaz.  If you dont mind I am pulling up a chair and pouring a touch of whiskey to enjoy the build....

Well, the good thing about WWI stuff is nobody can win a color argument with certainty.   Glad to have you looking in.  Speaking of whiskey....

Jack Daniels and I had a bout once.  He was the clear winner.  Memories of the night are sketchy, but I do remember the Duty NCO pushing a mop into my hand in the hallway telling me to mop up my puke.  The morning was even worse.

Gaz

• Like 3

On 5/5/2019 at 9:15 PM, GazzaS said:

Well, the good thing about WWI stuff is nobody can win a color argument with certainty.   Glad to have you looking in.  Speaking of whiskey....

Jack Daniels and I had a bout once.  He was the clear winner.  Memories of the night are sketchy, but I do remember the Duty NCO pushing a mop into my hand in the hallway telling me to mop up my puke.  The morning was even worse.

Gaz

Barf in a bath tub, way easier to clean up , and NO NCO to give you a mop..........................don't ask how I know......:unsure:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

Barf in a bath tub, way easier to clean up , and NO NCO to give you a mop..........................don't ask how I know......:unsure:

Back in those days, it was a communal squad bay with communal toilets.   Not even any separators between the bowls.  Just a chain holding the rolls of TP.   That night I had to walk from my bed, through double doors, and down a long hallway to the double doors into the head.  No tub.

On another topic, I have to decide which rib tapes to use.  They weren't highlighted in the movie as the entire wing was just painted. 

The ones used on the series of Pfalz that had lozenge camo were just strips of the same lozenge material. 

But because of all of my other WnW decals, I have other options in salmon pink or blue a la' some of the Albatros factories.

So, I'm not decided which to do.  What do you think?

Gaz

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Back in those days, it was a communal squad bay with communal toilets.   Not even any separators between the bowls.  Just a chain holding the rolls of TP.   That night I had to walk from my bed, through double doors, and down a long hallway to the double doors into the head.  No tub.

On another topic, I have to decide which rib tapes to use.  They weren't highlighted in the movie as the entire wing was just painted. 

The ones used on the series of Pfalz that had lozenge camo were just strips of the same lozenge material. 

But because of all of my other WnW decals, I have other options in salmon pink or blue a la' some of the Albatros factories.

So, I'm not decided which to do.  What do you think?

Gaz

hhhhhmmmmmm, now that can be a little bit of a dilemma..... I would say, and don't take my advice as gospel, BUT, as this aircraft may be a little bit of a hybrid, part movie bird part real deal......for me, and only me , I might just try to do it as the movie bird with just the cammo wing, but if I were to do it with rib tapes, I might be inclined to do them in pink................... BUT I do like the blue........................and the no rib tape is cool too.......... does that help clear things up? B):rofl:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

hhhhhmmmmmm, now that can be a little bit of a dilemma..... I would say, and don't take my advice as gospel, BUT, as this aircraft may be a little bit of a hybrid, part movie bird part real deal......for me, and only me , I might just try to do it as the movie bird with just the cammo wing, but if I were to do it with rib tapes, I might be inclined to do them in pink................... BUT I do like the blue........................and the no rib tape is cool too.......... does that help clear things up? B):rofl:

Jeff,

Your answer sums up my thoughts completely.   One advantage of the painted wing is there weren't any seams.  At the seam lines, the smooth pattern of lozenge is interrupted completely.  Pink, blue, or lozenge tapes will add more interruptions, but add eye catching detail.  So...I'm drawn to one of them...

I'll probably do the pink, as I feel inclined.  We'll see.

Thanks for your input!

The Fuselage...  that's really gonna be fun!

Gaz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Jeff,

Your answer sums up my thoughts completely.   One advantage of the painted wing is there weren't any seams.  At the seam lines, the smooth pattern of lozenge is interrupted completely.  Pink, blue, or lozenge tapes will add more interruptions, but add eye catching detail.  So...I'm drawn to one of them...

I'll probably do the pink, as I feel inclined.  We'll see.

Thanks for your input!

The Fuselage...  that's really gonna be fun!

Gaz

Your welcome for my input........:rofl:it isn't much 'input' as it goes, more of a sit on the fence Politician answer......... LOL!!!!  It is always a dilemma to hope one makes the 'right decision'...... if there is a right decision.... ultimately it is what you think looks good, but for the record, I would agree  pink on top and blue on the bottom, and isn't that how it was in real life?  I am more than confident , that you could put duct tape on it and it would look excellent, judging by what I have seen of your work so far......your efforts are awesomely gorgeous, and I am really wanting to emulate what you do, but I think that is a pay grade above my meager talents... I watch with enthusiasm....

• Like 1

Well, Jeff...  it's having someone to talk to about these things that make this forum a great place.

Since Monday I've taken small steps toward getting this bird together:

XdgEAZ.jpg

This is the first time I've ever closed up a fuselage with just CA and Accelerant.  I would do a small section, sand away the excess and move on.  NO waiting for glue to dry.  Loved it!  This three sided joint needs a bit of loving.

7CQakL.jpg

This isn't an open gap.  It's filled with CA.  Once hit with paint, became invisible.

yX2wWS.jpg

There is some small detail to be seen inside the access ports in the wheel covers.  I painted the spokes enamel silver and the valve stem brass with a black cap.

31JxIb.jpg

In preparing the struts for airbrushing, I dipped the large locator pins in liquid mask.

bwzpPj.jpg

My first application of WnW lozenge.  You can just see the pink edging made by the pink rib tapes.  Yes...  I've decided to do pink.

afOIMh.jpg

I never understood the logic behind the pinkish underside lozenge.  But there it is.

pOKqRd.jpg

The colors of interest:  Scale black (diluted with white) and brown for the leather cockpit combing.

URVta7.jpg

And finally...  I had to hold my breath a few times when doing the upper wing lozenge.  Wasted a few portions, too.  Thank goodness I have a fair bit.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 3

3 hours ago, harv said:

Looking good Gaz ! I like what your doing a lot ! ........harv :popcorn:

OH YEAH.............................. me too ........ see I have already learned something........... the masking liquid on the locating pins.......genius...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, harv said:

Looking good Gaz ! I like what your doing a lot ! ........harv :popcorn:

Thanks, Buddy!

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

OH YEAH.............................. me too ........ see I have already learned something........... the masking liquid on the locating pins.......genius...

Thanks Jeff!  I fill the holes with it too so they don't get paint in them. 

Gaz

• Like 2

HI Everyone,

A big day of putting decals on the fuselage.  A nasty cold has settled in, and I've been sneezing and snotting all day.  But I really wanted to get most of the fuselage skinned.

60008626_646070012526410_866878246920336

I made templates for the area around engine and cockpit.  I had to work in small sections because even my template material couldn't follow the Pfalz's curves.

60093551_646069982526413_242053259895557

Moved down to the wing root.  Often I spent time cutting around the lozenge shapes to get tight fit with little overlap.

59861119_646069952526416_273951924879884

I finished the top of the upper wing, too.  Also had a nap.  I rarely nap.  But my head felt like it was filled with cotton.

60290812_646070052526406_591337521725361

Port side done.

60081566_646070065859738_372654639605717

And the starboard side.

I've still got all of the control surfaces and the undersides to do.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 5

YOWZA !!!!  That is looking top drawer, bud........ those decals are settling down really nice, although I'm sure it isn't a cake walk, but still it is looking really smooth......never realized how many compound curves are on the Pfalz............ I sure like this....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

YOWZA !!!!  That is looking top drawer, bud........ those decals are settling down really nice, although I'm sure it isn't a cake walk, but still it is looking really smooth......never realized how many compound curves are on the Pfalz............ I sure like this....

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Wow, Lozenge is looking bueno. your Pfalz is progressing rapidly, despite the cold. Suerte mi Amigo, health to you, like we say here in Spain.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, fellas!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Absolutely stunning Gaz, if you can do that with a head cold wow............

Thank you, Phil.  You know, there are times when you just have to keep building.   It's great tpo have a model pull you along even when you feel like crap.

Gaz

• Like 2

Hi gang!

After 2 days of hanging lozenge decals, I can report that I'm still not done!  Exciting, eh?  Anyway...  here's some signs of work:

PamZGX.jpg

Getting the wraparound smoothly around the wing roots started mymodelling day.  I'm treating the lozenge on the fuselage as wrapped fabric and not as paint.

8Vq5jZ.jpg

I completed the tailplane and elevator too.  Trimming the edges with pink rib tape was quite fiddly.

mOPItZ.jpg

The underside of the ailerons.  The surface colors are easily damaged.

grwaiw.jpg

I decaled the large rudder and the wheel covers.   The other option was to paint them black like the struts...  but I wanted to do it this way.

2ZgvsA.jpg

I decided that the fuselage needed a little more than just the crosses.  Because of the decals on the fuselage I didn't dare mask and make my own insignia.  So, I raided the decals of another kit.  I'd have rather had some cool Wappen...  but I only had one other example which I didn't want to use for this 'learning' kit.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 4

• Administrators
On 5/7/2019 at 8:42 AM, Jeff said:

I once woke up on my rack with my big toe tagged D.O.A.   And someone also had written FUBAR across my forehead with a black fat tipped magic marker.  Probably the same joker.   I have absolutely zero idea how I got back on base. We had been given a Liberty Pass at 1400 Saturday through to 0400 Monday for PT on the green.  I guess I enjoyed 4 or 5 hours of that time. Chow hall scrambled eggs and sausage don’t go down well when nursing the Mother of All Hangovers  

So I have empathy. 

• Like 4

I'm still sick.  But I can't just lay in bed all day long.  Last time I was so sick as to be bedridden I think I had picked up a parasite when the city mistakenly pumped raw sewage into the drinking water system. 

That was a bad, week-long ride. 

• Like 2