The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The Blue Max! Pfalz D.III

HI everyone,

The first WWI movie that truly caught my imagination was The Blue Max with George Peppard.  That was a long time ago as I was just a boy.  To me, it's still a better movie than the Red Baron released a few years ago.

blue_max__1966_7696.jpg

Without CGI and a cast of great actors like James Mason (one of my all-time favorites), it still rates quite highly in my mind.

The victim in this build is WNW's D.IIIa, built essentially OOB. 

122077-10000-pristine.jpg

It happens to be the wrong type for the movie, but since the movie was made with some British thang, I don't think it matters.  Most of the Pfalz were delivered in paint schemes that don't do anything for me.  So, I'm gonna burn through some of the many Lozenge decals that came with my Albatros Trilogy kit.

Please stay tuned!

Gaz

• Like 6

I'm in for that one. I started that same kit some years ago and had it out of the shelf twice last week. Maybe I continue with you along, although I'm not sure about the scheme I will depict. Thought about Lozenge too, but might choose the silvery white one from the kit.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, looking forward to this build, I’ve still got my WnW Camel in the stash so going follow carefully for any tips....:popcorn:

Phil,

You should dive right in.  It's just a model.  As with all WNW, leave the surfaces to be glued clear of paint.

Gaz

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I'm in for that one. I started that same kit some years ago and had it out of the shelf twice last week. Maybe I continue with you along, although I'm not sure about the scheme I will depict. Thought about Lozenge too, but might choose the silvery white one from the kit.

Cheers Rob

Getting silvery white is the problem.  If you add silver paint to a larger amount white, you get gray.  Somehow you need to get a white with metal pigments that aren't too large.  Anyway...  break it out!

Gaz

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Getting silvery white is the problem.  If you add silver paint to a larger amount white, you get gray.  Somehow you need to get a white with metal pigments that aren't too large.  Anyway...  break it out!

Gaz

I’m no expert, but would a thin veil of silver over a white background work ?

Hubert

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HubertB said:

I’m no expert, but would a thin veil of silver over a white background work ?

Hubert

It's certainly worth considering, Hubert.  An experiment worth trying.

Gaz

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

In the second volume of 'Air Modeller's Guide to Wingnut Wings' there is a Pfalz build by David Parker. He used Misterkit GC17 German Pfalz Silbergrau and misted a coat of pale Aluminium over this. I never heard of the Colour before and I don't have it, so I will perform some tryouts to achieve the effect otherwise. Parkers result though is looking very convincing.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Ok, Gaz........................ you've got me for sure, I have seen that movie about 100 times and can recite the dialog almost verbatim, ( pisses Cathy right off) probably My ALL time favorite movie, yeah there is inaccuracies, and yeah the aircraft are not the real deal ( and all that other trite crapola I have heard over the years) BUT it is one of the BEST movies for it's time EVER !!!!  " That was a full bottle Herr Lieutnant"......................................  "Yes"....................................

So, I hope you don't mind, but I will lurk along, and take this in, my idea was to see if I could find the Roden kit of Stachel's Pfalz and do that, it even comes with "Bruno, and Kaeti" as well..............

Like "Willie" toasted in the mess to Bruno's lost kill,........................... Gaz, ............... for this build, .................." You must have 'witnesses' ...."

MV5BMTA4NDA3ODQzNzNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDI1NjUxMTg@._V1_UY1200_CR86,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/blue-max-lozenge.html

Hey Gazz,

I love the film just as you do. I think that Aviattuic had Blue Max lozenge in 1/32 as well, but for some reason they only list 1/72 as of right now.

You might want to contact Richard at Aviattic or look on ebay.  It'll add "the look" to your build.  :)

I'm following this one closely.  :)

-Ernie

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/blue-max-lozenge.html

Hey Gazz,

I love the film just as you do. I think that Aviattuic had Blue Max lozenge in 1/32 as well, but for some reason they only list 1/72 as of right now.

You might want to contact Richard at Aviattic or look on ebay.  It'll add "the look" to your build.  :)

I'm following this one closely.  :)

-Ernie

Ern,

I've been thinking about how I'm going to make lozenge sheets fit on/around the semi monocoque fuselage and seeing potential difficulties with maintaining the shape without wrinkles.  However, I do have a mask cutting machine, so painting is an option as the masks will stretch a bit. I really don't want to have to buy anything more as I just spent a lot of money on books for my Napoleonic interest.

10 hours ago, harv said:

Oh boy ! Got my seat, drink and popcorn !!.....harv :popcorn:

Glad to have you on board, Harv!

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

Ok, Gaz........................ you've got me for sure, I have seen that movie about 100 times...

That's about 97 more times than me, Jeff!  Looking forward to your input as I build.

14 hours ago, DocRob said:

In the second volume of 'Air Modeller's Guide to Wingnut Wings' there is a Pfalz build by David Parker. He used Misterkit GC17 German Pfalz Silbergrau and misted a coat of pale Aluminium over this. I never heard of the Colour before and I don't have it, so I will perform some tryouts to achieve the effect otherwise. Parkers result though is looking very convincing.

Cheers Rob

I've been thinking about leaving the struts in white and just trying Hubert's suggestion on them.  We'll see.  They might stick out too well against the lozenge.  Since I'm not doing a "historical" build, I like the flexibility to try out other things.  I think I'm going to ghost the white with alclad polished aluminum.  I'll post a pic when I do.

Gaz

• Like 4

It can be done with masks in theory at this point.

Here is my Gotha 5 color night camo mask set:

IMG-2994.jpg

I also have it in hex pattern.

Shapes are determined with paper patterns , then the camo pattern is applied to the shapes , refined and cut. The cutter prints the color number on each lozenge.

The Gotha was easy with mostly boxy shapes.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Gaz

You may wish to consider Tamiya TS-45 spray can lacquer, over a base of their fine white primer.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/85045/index.htm

Should be readily available at most Mr.Toys locally.

S

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krow113 said:

It can be done with masks in theory at this point.

Here is my Gotha 5 color night camo mask set:

IMG-2994.jpg

I also have it in hex pattern.

Shapes are determined with paper patterns , then the camo pattern is applied to the shapes , refined and cut. The cutter prints the color number on each lozenge.

The Gotha was easy with mostly boxy shapes.

That's very interesting, Steve!  How did you find replacing the masks so you could spray the next color?  Did you paint the entire surface one color of the lozenge before applying?

I'm imagining all kinds of un-fun possibilities with the sleek shape of the Pfalz.  And a five-color pattern to make it even more interesting.

Ugh...what have I gotten myself into!

Gaz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

You may wish to consider Tamiya TS-45 spray can lacquer, over a base of their fine white primer.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/85045/index.htm

Should be readily available at most Mr.Toys locally.

S

Thanks for the recommendation.   It's certainly one of those colors I'd like to see in real life.

Gaz

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

That's very interesting, Steve!  How did you find replacing the masks so you could spray the next color?  Did you paint the entire surface one color of the lozenge before applying?

That's the plan Stan!

…..er I mean Gaz.

Like I said , in theory, I haven't done it yet and have only seen it done a couple of times . Yes you would paint the lightest of the 5 colors first , I'll be doing light blue.

Everything after depends a lot on the prep and first color application. Acrylics I think and have a full set of colors ready to go. They dry fast and will take the mask re-application .

Procedure would dictate removing the numbered pieces and putting them on the backing sheet for re-application. a few tricks are developing like a photo of the masks to help with replacement , and color coding the numbers is possible too. Close inspection of lozenge pics , decals and anything else I could find shows that some of the lozenge shapes overlap slightly creating a thin dark outline, in SOME case' , this helps anyone attempting this.

I'll be doing The Gotha early next year in this pattern.

Hex layout:

IMG-4953.jpg

On Britmodeller and Des' WW! aircraft forums look at The Gotha or A Gotha if ya wanna see more.

• Like 2

Steve,

I used to frequent WWIaircraftmodels for a while but drifted off as I worked on other genres.   BUt I do remember The Gotha and the amazing amount of work you put into those engines and other details.

Gaz

• Like 2

Gaz, are you planning on making the 'movie' aircraft or an accurate Pfalz with lozenge cammo? Apparently the movie bird was somewhat different than the original Pfalz...... so I have read and understand.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

Gaz, are you planning on making the 'movie' aircraft or an accurate Pfalz with lozenge cammo? Apparently the movie bird was somewhat different than the original Pfalz...... so I have read and understand.....

Jeff,

.        Thanks for the cool links and pix.  Now that the question has come up...  The answer has been meandering around in my head for a few days....

I guess the plainest way to say it is that it will be something in between.  I'll be using the kit lozenge as much as possible as well as some other lozenge I have on hand if I need to.   Same thing goes for decals.  I'll probably stay with the black nose and struts.  I'm still up in the air about the large white areas around the upper wing crosses as I can't say that I've seen that on any Pfalz.

To do the large white area I would have to either mask over the lozenge decal (don't really want to risk that), Use some plain white decal paper I have which is still too thick compared to the kit decals, or paint the wings white, and place the lozege decals around it.

So...  Clear as mud....  I'll do whatever works and isn't too difficult.

Gaz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Jeff,

.        Thanks for the cool links and pix.  Now that the question has come up...  The answer has been meandering around in my head for a few days....

I guess the plainest way to say it is that it will be something in between.  I'll be using the kit lozenge as much as possible as well as some other lozenge I have on hand if I need to.   Same thing goes for decals.  I'll probably stay with the black nose and struts.  I'm still up in the air about the large white areas around the upper wing crosses as I can't say that I've seen that on any Pfalz.

To do the large white area I would have to either mask over the lozenge decal (don't really want to risk that), Use some plain white decal paper I have which is still too thick compared to the kit decals, or paint the wings white, and place the lozege decals around it.

So...  Clear as mud....  I'll do whatever works and isn't too difficult.

Gaz

Apparently there is also a difference in the radiators and exhaust pipes between the real deal and the movie star..................... just curious, as no matter what scheme you choose , it is an interesting subject and will be colorful, and exciting to watch come together, I'm really into what you are going to do..... very cool project......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1