The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kitty Hawk North American T-28 Trojan. Thoughts?

Definitely one of their best efforts. Talk to Ernie, and he will tell you he cannot build enough of them. Some fiddly areas, but nothing as bad as some other releases by KH

There is a lot of negativity about KH, some of it unwarranted, and reflecting prejudices more than facts, fed by some haters, some of them trolling regularly the pages of LSP. True, some of their kits were difficult to build and not too accurate (and to compound the issue, they released their worst 1/32 kit - the P-39 - which also happened to be the first they developed, after other releases, which left a lot of people feeling they were not making any progress). Their last releases (the Kingfisher, the T-28, the F-5E), although not perfect and sometimes fiddly, have displayed enormous progress.

Back to the T-28: with your modelling skills, it should be a breeze for you. Definitely worth the purchase. And remember, although I reckon this may be a counter-productive argument for someone living a small flat ;) , a 1/32 kit has 3.4 times the "presence" of the same subject in 1/48.

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have only the  T-6 Texan in stash and the kit looks decent to me. The reception was, if I remember right, not too shabby, but I will find out soon while building her as a Portuguese FAP bird.

37 minutes ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

(Why would anyone hate a company?)

In modelling, I don't know, but have you ever tried to get rid of #### Cortana and it's also #### Bing derivates on an actual Windows-PC? I can tell you Sir, my feelings tend to that state :censored:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

(Why would anyone hate a company?)

Psychological Projection...

A defence mechanism by which the Antagonist attributes negative feelings towards a subject, due to his or her own inadequacies and lack of ability to assemble a Model Kit to resemble the illustration on the box.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

I have only the  T-6 Texan in stash and the kit looks decent to me. The reception was, if I remember right, not too shabby, but I will find out soon while building her as a Portuguese FAP bird.

In modelling, I don't know, but have you ever tried to get rid of #### Cortana and it's also #### Bing derivates on an actual Windows-PC? I can tell you Sir, my feelings tend to that state :censored:.

Cheers Rob

The T-6 is a minefield, second only to the B-24, in terms of variants. When I was considering doing a resin kit, before Glen Coleman told me it was on KH’s release list, I spent ages trying to sort out the variations between the various T-6 and Harvard’s marks... The KH kit is actually good for reproducing « Deb », the warbird featured on the box art. It is the one which was used by the KH team for their development. But, as many warbirds, it’s a mishmash of variants ...

Hubert

• Like 3

I have the Texan. My 1/32 build at present is the Trumpeter SBD3. (Lovely kit) Once this Dauntless is complete I should build the Texan. Although I am itching to build a jet. I have several KH kits from which to choose.

Definitely getting the Trojan. I am attracted to it by virtue of it never being on my modelling plan. When I was a kit like most around my age I built loads of 109's, Spitfires etc. 

Thanks again guys. :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wumm said:

A defence mechanism by which the Antagonist attributes negative feelings towards a subject, due to his or her own inadequacies and lack of ability to assemble a Model Kit to resemble the illustration on the box.

I have had trouble  completeing kits ovet the last couple of years.  What does that mean?

I don't why.

Although I am currently completing my SOD. In fact I am completing one today. I got up at 4.50 AM to work on it all day. Sydney's weather allows me to paint quickly. Paint dries in 5 minutes.

Thanks Wumm. :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

My post was more a commentary on TOS as Hubert highlighted, and the usual suspects there who continue to attack certain Kit Manufacturers as 'shoddy' for example; with the implied consent of the Staff on that particular site, completely at odds with their own stated rules.

3 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

I have had trouble  completeing kits ovet the last couple of years.  What does that mean?

I don't why.

There can be many causes for Procrastination. I myself haven't completed a kit in over a decade. But models don't care if they're put back on the shelf. I have had my own Cancer journey, and there are strict rules I follow so far as limiting airborne and surface particulate matter, as poor practices in the past probably contributed to my diagnosis.

Often preparation of my work area leaves little time for the actual Hobby so it's not an effective use of my spare time. I would rather put the major effort into the People in my life and the other important things, and use my favourite Pastime to do just that... Pass the time when time allows.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wumm said:

:rofl::unworthy:

• Like 5

14 hours ago, HubertB said:

The T-6 is a minefield

Thanks for the warning, I haven't done any research yet. I'm not an obsessed rivet counter, but at least it has to look right. My build will represent this one and I will dig a little deeper into references before starting.

Bildergebnis für t-6 fap

Sorry Sir, for T-6ing your thread, I'm out now with that ancestor of yours.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

I have the OV-10A partially built, but just awaiting a different project to complete before I carry on, and an F-86K in 32nd, the 2 Seasprites, a Dauphin,  a Huey, a Jaguar and a Super Etendard in 48th. The OV-10 is decent, but require some work, and I hear the the F-86 requires patience and close scrutiny as not all instructions are correct. The kits are very nice in look but the 48th kits are very detail heavy and have what I consider unnecessary detailing such as a full engine and transmission on the Dauphin, that looks to be reasonably correct, but extremely fiddly to get to work...

Now with that said, I'm mediochre at best and can only hope to do a decent job, but I'm sure, even though these are not Tamiya by any stretch, anyone can make a fairly decent model out of these with some patience and skill. 

I have seen Ernie's build of the T-28, and it looks really well made, so I believe from what I have gleaned from other fora, that it is a superb kit.

Cheers and pardon the long waffling!

H.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 10/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, HubertB said:

The T-6 is a minefield, second only to the B-24, in terms of variants. When I was considering doing a resin kit, before Glen Coleman told me it was on KH’s release list, I spent ages trying to sort out the variations between the various T-6 and Harvard’s marks... The KH kit is actually good for reproducing « Deb », the warbird featured on the box art. It is the one which was used by the KH team for their development. But, as many warbirds, it’s a mishmash of variants ...

Hubert

That’s the one big problem with using a T-6 warbird as a prototype. Most have been crashed and rebuilt multiple times throughout it’s life. 

Plus, many were literally built from the ground up from a pile of rubble and a mishmash of parts from various versions.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Thanks guys. :)

I’ve built 9 at last count. 

I built the very first OOB T-28B to be completed on the web, then did a full conversion to AT-28D-5 standards using AMS resin and AOA decals. 

I did several for clients and hobby shops, then I did a quick OOB of the T-28C for Glen at KHM.

The kit’s a gem.  I love it.  It assembles beautifully OOB, there’s piles of AM available if you’re so inclined. Aires makes a really nice resin pit plus air rake, exhaust, etc,  Eduard makes a full suite of goodies, and AMS makes correct B props, armor plate, yankee seats, armament, and low pressure wheels for Vietnam birds. Plus AOA makes a cool decal set.

Like all KH kits, there’s plenty of ejection towers, some locator pins don’t line up with the holes, and a few parts are numerically reversed on the instruction sheet.  BUT, it all lines up flawlessly if you take your time, and all the parts it like a glove. 

Be aware that these aircraft are usually parked with the flaps down so the pilot can use the built in steps to step up to the wing. The flaps need slight shortening and the flap leading edges need a bit of reprofiling to fit properly.  Also, the canopy, if modeled open, needs the sliding mechanism scratched to be 100% correct.  It’s a very easy fix.

Also bear in mind that the fat prop in the kit is the short T-28C prop, and the other one is fictional.  Harold at AMS makes a good proper B/D prop.  

51A16819-588B-4B4C-92B3-B0DCB2681C38.jpeg

CAB6C9B8-A116-4CC4-A802-54E6533EAAEF.jpeg

7B8A5132-03E5-4978-94AB-81B5DD5169EB.jpeg

902583E8-9301-43AE-8BAE-7CFF7B8222AD.jpeg

A012C7B7-0F6B-4005-A1F7-7CCCFEB1BB32.jpeg

A69ABFE0-B51F-45C9-BF5C-CA839197FE67.jpeg

902C1BFA-BF09-4E8E-A2CE-6DED2AD4612F.jpeg

6AB66846-27F2-4175-9C31-59589021B3FD.jpeg

6E9FDCBC-1119-4580-A802-3A435A7A7F2E.jpeg

F4E5F060-B974-481D-908A-67B944F45ABA.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Dale, a couple of pointers:

ensure that the engine assembly is squeezed together as far as it’ll go. The pushrods tend to spring out and it causes the nose gearcase to project too far. If that happens, the prop governor will hit the cowl lip and you’ll need to carve away some of the Governor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1