The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Advice on Tiger I kit?

biggtim

I am considering doing a Tiger I mid or late model, but I am not really an armor guy, so I need a little advice on which kit fits my desires. These are my criteria: 

1. Separate track links (I can't afford AM tracks, and I hate the rubber bands), 2. Zimmerit (either molded, decals, or PE, as long as comes with the kit), 3. Does not need detailed interior, since I'm planning to do it closed up,  4. Does not need a ton of AM to look decent, though I might do a little PE or something.

The only kit I am aware of that might fit the bill is the Italeri kit #293. Any others that you would recommend, and ballpark cost? Thanks,

Tim

• Like 2

Hi,

Some thoughts.

Myself, I would look at Dragons offerings...the fit is good, reasonably accurate for most of us, although I'm not sure about separate track links, I think (although not 100 perfectly sure) they come with Dragons DS track which isn't half bad and looks pretty good when done. Dragon stuff usually comes with loads of extras. However the instructions as per Dragons typical style can be confusing...dry fit, dry fit, dry fit...look at some online builds..you'll get the idea.

However, they have to be one of the most enjoyable builds in my experience. I've been building armour for at least 20 years and it is without a doubt one of my favorite kits to build..and I'm not even all that interested in building tigers..but I have 3 in my stash...I know right?..really good value for money.

Engineering wise, it's a brilliant kit, I just felt that it more or less fell together..I've built 3 for clients over the years.

Tamiya is always wonderful, you can't go wrong, instructions are always well thought out, engineering is fantastic...although I do think that Tamiya takes some shortcuts and simplifies shapes..though in the end it looks like a Tiger.

AFV Club, I haven't built the Tiger but I did build the Sturmtiger for a client, nice, but overly complicated...some nice builds out there though.

Italeri - Not knowing...

These are just my thoughts, not perfect by any stretch, other may know way more than myself.

Have fun,

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is one of the best Zimmerit Tigers around, it does come with soft DS tracks, but they are considerably nicer than Tamiya band tracks. 

However, if you have your heart set on separate links, go for Fruil Metal tracks. I built mine with Plastic RFM tracks, and I will never do it again. Each link is 5 parts, each side is 96 links. Do the math, that’s a lot of frustration. The 30 bucks I saved on them was not worth it. You can also buy pre-assembled tracks on eBay for a few bucks more.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=3665
135737-21503-81-pristine.jpg

• Like 5

This is Dragon #6700, Mid production with molded zimmerit. Roughly $54 - $60 from South Asia on ebay. It is actually OOP from Dragon although I believe there is a replacement out or coming.

WW68iLj.jpg

eVCNNLH.jpg

mdlqk0l.jpg

T4diiQO.jpg

The tracks are DS, but as mentioned they are beyond the Tamiya bands. Of course, there is aftermarket or buying a set of Magic Tracks off eBay. There is some PE for things such as vent screens and some bits of wire. Markings for a ton of vehicles, primarily Eastern European theaters but of course these are good anywhere Mids were shipped if you aren't worried about unit markings. I have two of these, and would buy more as they are like Mustangs, 109s, and Spits.

IRT 1to1scale:

I just built a set of workable links for Meng's Panther A Late. Five part: main link, 2 teeth, 2 metal pins. Those pins are stupid tiny and I use my fingernails to hold them like an idiot instead of using a tool. But, leave me alone with headphones on and boom! I'm done in 7 hours. Of course, my weekend is now shot to hell, but whatever.

• Like 3

As stated above ... 

Tamiya for cost, reasonably accurate outline and level of detail ... pretty good bang for buck ... needs AM individual track links on most kits - but does actually have them in at least one tiger kit ... Tamiya zimmerit is pretty meh so if that’s important look elsewhere ... things have sure moved on ...

Dragon was THE go-to for anything Wehrmacht at one point ... and still produces good gear ... IF you can find a zimmerit tiger with Magic Track look no further - you’ve hit gold!! Magic Track was their coolest product EVER and why they reverted to DS rubber bands I’ll never know. To be fair ... DS will scrub up alright - but it still is what it is - rubber bands!! ... if you’ve found that zimmerit tiger with Magic Track you may have also ended up with some nice PE grills and a turned aluminium barrel ... making your kit the one stop shop - have fun!!

I believe the RFM, AFV and other post Dragon Tigers are decent too ... but for everything you listed ... and more!!! ... I’d chase down a moulded zimmerit Dragon kit!

Rog :)

• Like 4

Thanks all! I have never built a Dragon tank, so I did not know the DS tracks were better than the average. I definitely like all the extras included for sure.  I was leaning toward the Tamiya Tiger Ryan suggested because of the individual track links and the relatively low cost, but I'm not excited about buying, and applying, the PE zim. 

I am leaning toward the Dragon based on this info, but I will keep my eyes open online and see what develops. Very helpful, thank you!

Tim

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, biggtim said:

Thanks all! I have never built a Dragon tank, so I did not know the DS tracks were better than the average. I definitely like all the extras included for sure.  I was leaning toward the Tamiya Tiger Ryan suggested because of the individual track links and the relatively low cost, but I'm not excited about buying, and applying, the PE zim. 

I am leaning toward the Dragon based on this info, but I will keep my eyes open online and see what develops. Very helpful, thank you!

Tim

I have so,e Tamiya zim, but have never installed any yet, but from what I have heard, it does not stick worth a darn. I say, just buy a dragon kit, and maybe spring for track. It hurts to spend the price of a kit on tracks, but that’s the deal. 

one thing I just tried are link-n-length track, they are awesome. I just built a Marder and I’m very impressed.

• Like 3

If you go for a Dragon Tiger with DS tracks it's worth to check them on arrival. On my Wittman Tiger they were packed so stupidly, that lots of the guide teeth where bent, with no chance to make the tracks useable again. I planned to use AM, so it was no deal breaker for me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, DocRob said:

If you go for a Dragon Tiger with DS tracks it's worth to check them on arrival. On my Wittman Tiger they were packed so stupidly, that lots of the guide teeth where bent, with no chance to make the tracks useable again. I planned to use AM, so it was no deal breaker for me.

Cheers Rob

Yeah I forgot to mention that one! ... The one time a box choc full of plastic will disappoint!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, biggtim said:

Tim

I'll send some pics of my Dragon Tiger kit on the weekend so you'll know what you're chasing.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, biggtim said:

I found a Dragon 6383 kit with the magic track included for 67 shipped. A bit more than I can afford right now, but is that a good price?

IF it has indeed got Magic Track (too little baggies with links inside - so labeled) then yes ... $67 USD would be pretty reasonable with shipping included.

Does it have additional photos? ... It may also include PE grills and wire for the tow cable - I pulled mine from the stash to have a dekko and it's the DS track version - two cream-yellow strips of rubber!! (I'm going with AM on that one so I'm not concerned) ... BUT it doesn't have the turned metal barrel in-box.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Rog, just built this for the GB.......it has separate track links........

I'm pretty sure I have that boxing :D ... a few other Tamiya Tigers also ... at least one is a paint mule these days!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Artful69 said:

IF it has indeed got Magic Track (too little baggies with links inside - so labeled) then yes ... $67 USD would be pretty reasonable with shipping included.

Does it have additional photos? ... It may also include PE grills and wire for the tow cable - I pulled mine from the stash to have a dekko and it's the DS track version - two cream-yellow strips of rubber!! (I'm going with AM on that one so I'm not concerned) ... BUT it doesn't have the turned metal barrel in-box.

From the photos, it does appear to have a large baggie of track links, cable, and PE screens+, though I can't see a barrel anywhere. 

Edit: correction, its kit 6406, not 6383, though I don't know the difference. 

3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Rog, just built this for the GB.......it has separate track links........

I've been watching this!! It's part of what inspired me, along with Mark giving me the Easy Eight kit for Christmas! You guys are like drug dealers....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, biggtim said:

I've been watching this!! It's part of what inspired me, along with gMark giving me the Easy Eight kit for Christmas! You guys are like drug dealers....

Glad I inspired at least one person, the zimmerit was easy to assemble, used white glue in the end. The PE is very small but satisfying when to finished.......

• Like 4

Well, I guess this one is going to have to wait a few months. My truck broke down today, to the tune of at least 900 bucks, so the last of my Christmas bonus will have to go towards that. Time to sell some stuff on ebay again! Thanks for all the help!

Tim

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, biggtim said:

Well, I guess this one is going to have to wait a few months. My truck broke down today, to the tune of at least 900 bucks, so the last of my Christmas bonus will have to go towards that. Time to sell some stuff on ebay again! Thanks for all the help!

Tim

Put that Sherman together, then when finances allow, buy the Tiger.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Well, it's time to resurrect this thread, because I gone and done did it. I found a Dragon early Tiger I #6252 on ebay, WITH a set of "magic tracks", AND a bunch of AM stuff from Voyager for 80 bones, and I blew my paypal balance on it. Dammit. I'm excited, but I always feel a little stupid buying more kits when I have so many already started. Oh well!!!

• Like 5