The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

IBG PZL P.11C

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

Yeah, I have a Silver Wings kit about 2/3 finished. The engine and cowl drove me nuts so I put it aside for a bit to collect my thoughts.

I absolutely love the early war Polish designs.  Those folks fought like demons until just overwhelmed, and the P.11C was a 109 killer. It looks benign, but it had a mighty sting

• Like 4

Ernie, is that the one where the engine cylinders stick out of the cowl ring?

If so, did you ever figure out a solution to assembling that bit?

As much as I'm not into interwar/early WWII aircraft, there's something very appealing about this plane. 

Carl

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ernie, is that the one where the engine cylinders stick out of the cowl ring?

If so, did you ever figure out a solution to assembling that bit?

As much as I'm not into interwar/early WWII aircraft, there's something very appealing about this plane. 

Carl

Yup it is, and to make it even more interesting, it’s a Bristol Mercury engine, so each cylinder exhausts into the collector ring, which is the leading edge of the cowl, and the cowl is a sorta NACA speed ring which almost free floats behind the exhaust collector.  Nothing radical, just typical early war British radial shenanigans.   I think the Beaufighter, Beaufort, Blenheim, Halifax, Swordfish, Albacore, Skua, and most other radial Brit engine installations were the same, with the cowl leading edge always being a hot meta, copper, or steel color  

The issue comes with having zero alignment pins, zero support, etc. nothing too far out to align, but it involves making a jig, and I was deep in my Lanc build at the time and couldn’t be bothered.  I’ll haul it out and finish it one of these days, when I feel like doing some problem solving. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just pre-ordered the Special Edition (with eXtra PE, Master gun barrels, and a resin pilot) from Plastmodel.pl :wub:

When I checked out - on monday evening - they still had 3 Special Edition and 12 standard kits available ( which means they expect a number of boxes  to arrive soon)

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

This is my most anticipated model this year, it’s only second by my #1, the Aichi Val.

This, and the Silver Wings DH-82 Tiger Moth, and the Lukgraph DH-89 Dragon Rapide and, hopefully, the Fly Saab J-29, and ...

Ok, I am weak :D

Hubert

• Like 5

Well, ok. I am even weaker than that :o !

After seeing some pics and reviews, that showed some, of which a major one, mistakes had been corrected, I finally could not resist and ordered a newly released kit. Good news is I can get the - unbuilt- paper version I had vertically filed. Bad news is it is going to take a lot more space in the stash than the paper kit...

Let the guessing game begin until the (very) big box arrives and is posted in the « What did you just get » thread :D

Hubert

PS: another piece of good news is that the many books I have on the subject can at last be put to good use !

• Like 3

On 2/21/2020 at 8:56 AM, HubertB said:

This, and the Silver Wings DH-82 Tiger Moth, and the Lukgraph DH-89 Dragon Rapide and, hopefully, the Fly Saab J-29, and ...

Ok, I am weak :D

Hubert

... And the Daco Fouga Magister .... 

It’s gonna be yet another expensive year ... and to think I could also build all of those :rofl:

Hubert

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HubertB said:

... And the Daco Fouga Magister .... 

It’s gonna be yet another expensive year ... and to think I could also build all of those :rofl:

Hubert

Thankfully, it’s not a very expensive kit, I believe it’s $60 USD, $80 for the one with extras. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 2/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, HubertB said:

Just pre-ordered the Special Edition (with eXtra PE, Master gun barrels, and a resin pilot) from Plastmodel.pl :wub:

When I checked out - on monday evening - they still had 3 Special Edition and 12 standard kits available ( which means they expect a number of boxes  to arrive soon)

Hubert

Dang!  I went to order from Plastmodel.pl and they don’t ship to the USA.   United States is not an available Country.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Yep.

Ive waited for this for a long, long time. The P.11C is easily one of my all time favorites. There’s not a lot of Polish aircraft I don’t like, actually.

This one definitely punched far, far above its weight. 

• Like 4