Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

IBG models PZL P.11c. Finished

• Administrators

On a side note, I’ve found the secret to nirvana, the end of gouged parts when snipping them off sprue gates, and just the portal to all around happiness.

Get yourself these:

The DSPIAE single blade nippers. They’re not cheap compared to the crappy generic craft store stuff, but they function flawlessly and no more torn or crushed plastic!

B0AA8A86-C412-4CCE-9199-432D71644ACA.jpeg

6302B2ED-BA66-46F1-A094-46E23C8043D8.jpeg

66FA6195-5D45-4C2B-8723-06BBE8CCB309.jpeg

• Like 6

They're great nippers but don't drop them. I did and have one broken blade so they're a bit stunted now. 

A similar single edged nipper is one made by Wave that has the cutting tip on an angle. I find those help get into tight spots. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

They're great nippers but don't drop them. I did and have one broken blade so they're a bit stunted now. 

A similar single edged nipper is one made by Wave that has the cutting tip on an angle. I find those help get into tight spots. 

I haven’t tried dropping them yet, Carl, maybe I need to do a test.....

• Like 5

Agreed on the DSPIAE nippers. Mine are Xuron or Tamiya, and I thought they were pretty good, but not nearly good enough for IBG’s plastic ... 

As a tool freak, I am putting all my weight (and it’s considerable, believe me) on the brakes to avoid starting a tools’ shopping spree... Such an urge could be costly ;)

Hubert

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The DSPIAE single blade nippers. They’re not cheap compared to the crappy generic craft store stuff, but they function flawlessly and no more torn or crushed plastic!

I own the same one, it's Meng labeled, but identical. They work great, but not much better than the good Tamiya nipper, which is a bit more sturdy construction wise and fits better into a bigger hand. The idea of DSPIAE is to use one blunt side to counter the sharp bladed side for cutting (not squeezing) the plastic. Because of that design, it still is necessary to use some scalpels or grinding tools on the cut, not better than the two-bladed Tamiya for me :2c:.
But as a tool nerd like Hubert mentioned, the DSPIAE is just perfectly manufactured, has a leather cap, …:D
Sorry for being OT

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

• Administrators

Thanks Rob. My sin is letting the Hobby store versions go dull, so I end up squeezing the plastic, not cutting it.  

I was recommended these, and it works perfect on the PZL’s plastic; no tears or gouges.  But yes, DSPAIE is a luxury tool. There are far less expensive options out there. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

They are great. Hey Ernie they would have come in handy cutting all of the ejection nubs off of the HK Lancaster fuselage. huh!...lol:rofl:

Ron G 

Ain’t that FUN, Ron?  Heheheeeeeee

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

But yes, DSPAIE is a luxury tool. There are far less expensive options out there. 

Trumpeter make one. It's about $10 from Asia. I've got a pair of them. They work as well but I've heard they can get dull faster. We'll see. I also have some by Gunze, Wave and Tamiya. Some are better than others. 

The ones made by Godhand are even more expensive than the Dspaie ones. Haven't tried those yet for that reason. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

One of my biggest concerns with this kit has had to do with it’s greatest strength; the brilliantly executed surface detail. I was concerned that if fit of the exterior panels wasn’t absolutely perfect, the builder would be forced to use filler, sand the surfaces and lose that exquisite detail. The fuselage and tailplane proceeded flawlessly, just remember to test fit, test fit, test fit. Approach it like you would any low pressure injection Eastern European kit and you’ll be Golden. It’s truly that nice. No muss, no fuss.

Until Now.

I got to working on the wings, and I mounted the guns and got ready to join the halves.  Remember, test fit first.  In this case, we find that the thoughtfully provided locator on the wing halves aren’t thoughtfully located, or even lined up.  So, no biggie, cut them all off and the wings go together flawlessly.

Now we need to attach the wing halves to the center section.  IBG thoughtfully provides us a lip for the wing top surface.

3BD59634-8A67-4ADF-9642-D35A6A742274.jpeg

Now heres the issue. Remember the PCM Hurricane?  How you wipe out fabric wing detail by sanding wing roots.  Here’s the fit:

841CB7BF-5140-4E1E-AA60-C63BF20D8411.jpeg

4A00C2F4-C66A-4130-8D87-2BF4BA9A3D32.jpeg

But, remember the lip?  It comes in handy. No butt join for me, Jefe

19F67CD5-602F-4AF2-92DD-EC53345A5379.jpeg

9AA9DE8F-7092-4D06-908B-12946EF709C6.jpeg

So have some clamps ready, apply clamps to the panel and the different curvature is no longer a problem.  Tamiya extra thin comes in handy. We have a bit of a gap at the front for a cm or so, but it’s on the smooth leading edge, so all’s good.

If you're ready for it, it will be a non event.  The goal being to keep filler off the beautiful corregated panels.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I must say that I’m truly Blessed to be building this model, folks. 

The little PZL has proven to be THE mojo restorer I truly needed, made all the better by what is decidedly one of the nicest and most rewarding kits to build I’ve ever experienced. 

It’s not a shake the box kit by any stretch, matter of fact, it’s going to take some serious modeling skill to build, but if you have the skill set and can work with PE, this little kit will deliver in every way. So far it’s been honest and straightforward in a way that it gives you exactly what you put into it.  If you let the carpet monster rule, it’ll eat you alive. But if you take precautions, be careful and methodical, this kit will reward you with serious satisfaction around every single corner. 

I’ve received PMs and emails from many members here telling me they’ve ordered this kit simply because of what they see unfolding in front of them, and I promise you, you won’t be disappointed. Once yours arrives, drop what you’re doing and build it.  You’ll love it. You’ll build up a neat little Polish fighter that as far as airplanes go, just looks “right”.  

What can I say?  I’m thrilled!

437B21DB-9EE1-4B69-B3F8-77BF55FBFA94.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Looking good Ernie. Your build and another one on LSP have shown that one of the major issues of the kit is the fit of the wing, and even more the fit of the wing’s MG cover. A good forewarning for me ( and all the others ) lagging behind you.

One word of caution regarding your engine : all the Bristol engines had black-enamelled crankcases and pushrod-covers.

Hubert.

• Like 5

• Administrators

Thanks Hubert, I’ll fix the engine. Now’ SA good time, even though for all intents and purposes, the crankcase will be hidden. 

The wing gun covers actually aren’t bad at all. You just must be sure to install them before you  glue the wing halves together. 

The wing fit is actually really nice except for the curve of the top outer wings being a bit much. By about .3mm. The fit on the edges is bang on brilliant, so if you just clamp the middle of the join for the glue to dry, all is well. 
Before I left the house today, I checked the fit of the entire wing to the fuselage, and it is splendid.  I’ll try again tonight with the struts temporarily attached. Then I can check the bottom for gaps.
But the topside is perfect. 

Most of these issues on any other kit would be a non event. But with the PZL, we don’t want to damage that beautiful surface detail, so we go slow and careful when joining major components together. 
 I can’t stress enough how much I’m enjoying this build. 
I’m a huge Silver Wings fan, but this kit is so much more refined. Even the gap on the fin fairing we previously discussed is completely missed on the other kit. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
11 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I just ordered on a few minutes ago.

I am interested to see how you tackle the insignia on the corrugated wings. I am considering ordering the masks, but I’m not sure they would work on that surface.

I expect they’ll lay down nicely.  Plenty of MicroSet and Sol.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well, I ordered some supposedly exact match Hataka light Polish khaki for this OOB build review, and I Donny, it seems way to brown to me.  

In person, it’s BROWN.  Here in the pictures, it’s not so bad. But I’m gonna go with it and see what we got. 

Next, a couple good highlights and lowlights, followed by a wash.  We’ll see.

PZL #2 = NMF. 

F161AD98-C426-4380-A8DE-BE2884FFD8CD.jpeg

• Like 5

I’m with Martin. It looks boringly good ;) ...
As for NMF, there was only the prototype, the same as I will do in Paris Air show colors. I am currently working on the wheel spats. That’s the acid test of my project ...

Hubert

• Like 4

On 4/2/2020 at 8:55 AM, HubertB said:

Ernie, if you want the decals for the extra scheme in the premium box (it has a white gull-wing type line on the upper wing), just let me know and it’s yours. 

Bom Dia Hubert,
Is there a Yahu IP included in the special edition?

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Bom Dia Hubert,
Is there a Yahu IP included in the special edition?

Cheers Rob

No. But I had bought one for my SW kits ;) 

The Special Edition has 4 brass Master gun-barrels, a very nice Bitzkrieg resin pilot, and the special scheme I have now sent to Ernie. Not sure it is worth the extra price, considering you can get most of the extras separately, apart from the special decal sheet.

Hubert

• Like 4