Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Rant of the day: HobbyBoss A-26B

Artful69

Ok ...

So ... it’s HobbyBoss (or Trumpeter) and yes, ok, the nacelles look (more than) a little off, and yes, it has vinyl tires ... and yes the engines don’t have enough cylinders (not much of which will be visible through those cowls anyway!) ... 

We know it’s not Tamiya or ZM ... and errors aplenty have been pointed out ad-nauseam ...

BUT CAN EVERYONE STOP FREAKING WHINING LIKE 2 YEAR OLDS WHOSE MUMMY DIDN'T BUY THEM THE FREAKING LOLLIES THEY WANTED AT THE SHOP ...

It is what it is ... and yes we know it isn’t perfect ...

The end ... Please excuse my need to vent ... Thank you all for your time :)

Rog :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I respectfully disagree, whining is one thing , another thing is to point at obvious mistakes that can be corrected. Trumpeter did it before, for example 1/32 Wildcat or 1/35 Challenger. Everyone makes mistakes and if addressed and corrected, we all learn something. At the other hand, I understand that big outbursts of emotions can be ridiculous and unnecessary. 

• Like 5

• Administrators

I agree Rog, although honest, repectful constructive criticism is worthwhile, especially if it comes with a doable solution.

The engines are simple: Vector, Technics, or whomever else makes a good 2800.

This kit will be built once by me, as a Vietnam Air Commando Counter-Invader COIN bird. And man, I'm sure looking forward to it.

Personally, I haven't paid it much mind because other more pressing issues have been surrounding me, but as a Trumpeter kit, let's face it, I expected issues. We all did, we know what to expect. But, if we're passionate about the type as I am, we'll fix the issues and have a decent looking Invader.

So instead of ranting, all of whom here are guilty of in the past, (me included), let's instead look for and post fixes for the various issues so anyone who wishes can incorporate them into their builds.

Peace, y'all

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'm not interested in seeing the baby poop either.

There are plenty of forums for those useless fights.

Opinion against opinion , opinion against manufacturer's.

Lots of self -appointed experts in modelling and the upshot is that the fight will never end.

Even when a forums admin and top modellers help a manufacturer there are details and not perfect models.

I'm thinking of the Lancaster , and the signature at the bottom of my postings.

I also remember my excitement at a 1/32 B 17 G , then  getting one , and then watching the destruction of the kit on LSP and the feeling of 'who the f*ck is this guy and who is he to destroy someone else' work'  He was PROVEN to be underinformed and of course wept and claimed super indignance at having his word questioned. He left after claiming the kit to be "unbuildable"

Some times its too bad that modelling is all about the 'old boys club' and very few kids are involved.

There 's always going to be mistakes.

The day I got it I was really happy:

93801530-89f4-4156-acae-94d635cc9796-zps

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Steve, an awesome statement. 100% truth. 

The B-17 hullabaloo was crazy. i'm pretty sure that the vast majority of us didn't even see the nose issue until it was pointed out to us, I know I didn't, and such are my eyes that I still don't see the big deal, unless I look at it from a pilot's point of view and see the taller instrument panel. But it never stopped me boefore and it won't now.

As far as the Lanc goes, any misses in the final design have actually benefitted me and my love for the postwar RCAF and French birds.  I will honestly say that since putting all websites with a negative vibe far in my rearview mirror, my enjoyment of and satisfaction from this HOBBY has improved tenfold.  I am so incredibly thankful that those vibes don't seem to migrate here and I certainly will do my bit to ensure they never do.

ciao,

Ernie

• Like 6

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

I respectfully disagree, whining is one thing , another thing is to point at obvious mistakes that can be corrected. Trumpeter did it before, for example 1/32 Wildcat or 1/35 Challenger. Everyone makes mistakes and if addressed and corrected, we all learn something. At the other hand, I understand that big outbursts of emotions can be ridiculous and unnecessary. 

Honest and contructive criticism is always a good thing. Like the B-24, I WILL build this, and will undertake to fix as many issues as are fixable

• Like 4

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I went over to LSP and read the whole thread, now I get what ticked you off Rog. Lots of emotions and lollies , LOL. :)

uuuuuuh boy. I'll need to go check, but I don't want that over here. Ever.  "shudder"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Honest and contructive criticism is always a good thing. Like the B-24, I WILL build this, and will undertake to fix as many issues as are fixable

I have been watching that too. Solving the clear turret problem is one I would consider tackling. I have the needed equipment and supplies.

Last time I checked it had yet to br solved in a manner that will supply the clear parts in an acceptable vac form.

Is that still the case , parts needed to be worked out?

• Like 4

• Administrators
On 4/1/2020 at 1:43 PM, krow113 said:

I have been watching that too. Solving the clear turret problem is one I would consider tackling. I have the needed equipment and supplies.

Last time I checked it had yet to br solved in a manner that will supply the clear parts in an acceptable vac form.

Is that still the case , parts needed to be worked out?

Personally, I expect it'll occur in clear resin form... Even quarter the thing and produce it that way. It'd sell if well done

• Like 5

• Administrators

Well I read the thread, and it wasn't as bad as I feared. The personal attacks are what kill stuff.

One thing I do agree with though, is that I'll be building one, as an A-26K, simply because I absolutely love that version.

Hobby Boss has done some very fine kits, the IL-2 series, F-84s, and P-61 all come to mind.  The B-24 is liveable as well.

I'll definitely deal with this.

But I do hope that Neil and crew give us a Martin B-26 Maurauder to go with the B-25's though. THAT would be pure, unadulterated HEAVEN ON EARTH.

• Like 5

Not sure why people bring up Hobby Boss using vinyl tires when Tamiya's Zero, Corsair, and Mustang have them (don't have the Spitfire but I assume they're the same). That part should be a non-issue considering the mediocre state of kit armor tracks and aircraft wheels in general.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, krow113 said:

lol

but the mustang wing thread seals the fate of that forum , doomed to lock down.

we re in the golden age of modelling , there will always be unsatisfaction , keep it over there

We have the usual suspects on the loose there, as always.

And yes, these are exciting times, and a reason why I started my « 2020 shopping list thread »

Hubert

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Not sure why people bring up Hobby Boss using vinyl tires when Tamiya's Zero, Corsair, and Mustang have them (don't have the Spitfire but I assume they're the same). That part should be a non-issue considering the mediocre state of kit armor tracks and aircraft wheels in general.

Don't think I've used the kit wheels on any aircraft kit I built since returning to the hobby, even the Tamiya Spitfire, F-15 and F-16! As you say there are so many other options now. Personally I'm really intrigued by those 'soft' resin wheels from Halberd Models so I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried them out. They've been mentioned over TOS but as has been highlighted here, there aren't many over there who's opinions I'd trust to be unbiased! 

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Exactly. I've never really been bothered by what kit wheels look like because most of the time, unless they're VERY well done, I replace them anyway. Same with seatbelts. HGW all the way.

33 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Don't think I've used the kit wheels on any aircraft kit I built since returning to the hobby, even the Tamiya Spitfire, F-15 and F-16! As you say there are so many other options now. Personally I'm really intrigued by those 'soft' resin wheels from Halberd Models so I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried them out. They've been mentioned over TOS but as has been highlighted here, there aren't many over there who's opinions I'd trust to be unbiased! 

I've never heard of these soft resin wheels. Like uncured resin?  :)  Comes in a can?

But I'd sure love to know more, even though, on the face of it, it seems a bit silly. To me, you can't beat high quality resin wheels like CMK, Eduard Brassin, barracuda, eagle, AMS, or any of the well known bunch.  Well researched, extremely high casting quality, and a major addition to any kit.  Too often, wheels and tires seem to be not much more than an afterthought to kitmakers.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

As I said ... the errors have been pointed out ad nauseam ... but the constant whining and belly aching is getting old ... my philosophy is: point out possible (or factual errors as they appear) ... and then build the bastard ... or don’t!! That’s it!!! ... No need to berate or curse the Manufacturer or carry on like a broken record!!

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I went over to LSP and read the whole thread, now I get what ticked you off Rog. Lots of emotions and lollies , LOL. :)

... and there you have discovered my need to vent ... I’m sure if I had of made this post on LSP it would have been automatically thread locked - as people can’t can’t seem to express adult opinions without having a jab at someone’s personality or character. I would have probably gotten a stern PM from M.G. for inciting a flame war!! 

I vent ... say my piece ... and move on!

So to all and sundry ... thanks for allowing the rant and not throwing down the gauntlet!!!

As for MY view on the kit ... the cowls appear to be closed so the only thing you’ll see through them is a tiny bit of “burnt metal” ... If Eduard goes Brassin (or anyone else) then you’ll get new corrected cowls and correct engines to fit ‘em ... aftermarket wheels so who cares what’s in the box ... same for ETO WWII decals ... Props may have to be AM and I’m sure Mike can whip up something on the printer if required?!? 

My more immediate concern is the lack of the turret underneath!!  In all likelihood scratching something that simplistic shouldn’t be an issue.

Rog

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1