The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

I was imagining the largest practical plane that would fit might be a Bf 110. What are your feelings on subjects Mosquito-size or larger? I feel they might be just a tad too much even if you angle them as much as possible.

My current shelving, which are wall-mounted 12" deep bookshelf style lengths of wood board, can just hold a Bf 110 with a wing hanging out over the edge. A Stuka with a stabilizer and corresponding wingtip almost touching the back wall still leaves just over 3" of the other wing sticking out. Fortunately, they are high enough off the ground that you would have to poke yourself in the eye to hit the wings. It the shelves were lower everyone's legs would be hitting them constantly. This is fine for my armor as they have no pesky wings sticking out but the planes definitely need the safety of doors to hide behind.

• Like 2

A Bf 110 won't fit unfortunately. I tried my Dragon one in it and the wingspan is just slightly too big.  

I haven't tried my Mosquito but that fits in my Bësta so I'm ok there. That's where I've stuck the Bf 110. It's a lot better than on top of a model box in the stash. 

Here's the Bësta with a couple F-4s and the Mossie in it. 

IMG_20190608_163242-L.jpg

Here's the Bf 110 on its shelf. 

IMG_20200613_135729.thumb.jpg.dd98e2fcb22f1673bdcabf3e8641eeb0.jpg

If they still made those doors, I'd have bought more and stuck with these. I'd swap out the lower doors for the glass ones. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I just checked and an Arado 234 doesn't quite fit either unfortunately.

Good to see your Arado for the first time. I wouldn't mind some pics of your captured one, it looks intriguing.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Good to see your Arado for the first time. I wouldn't mind some pics of your captured one, it looks intriguing.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! It was the one flown by Eric "Winkle" Brown after the war. Most of the pics were swallowed by the great Photobucket debacle but I have a couple. 

IMG_20160514_163813-L.jpg

IMG_20160620_180851-L.jpg

IMG_20160620_181033-L.jpg

IMG_20160620_181102-L.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks Rob! It was the one flown by Eric "Winkle" Brown after the war. Most of the pics were swallowed by the great Photobucket debacle but I have a couple.

Thanks for the pics of your great Arado build. I was first thinking about a captured one too, but then there was the night fighter with the operator cabin and the antennas, where I couldn't resist.
Was there a reason, why you didn't use the decals for the canopy frame?

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The cabinet looks great Carl, I've got one for my live steam trains but I could really do with just two more shelves evenly spaced! I keep toying with the idea of welding on another set of rods then grinding all the originals off...

I keep looking at the various lighting options and there are some that are linked together by thin wires and fit via magnets in the middle of the shelves but not sure how good they are.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Was there a reason, why you didn't use the decals for the canopy frame?

Thanks Rob! I was really happy with the ay it turned out. 

Honestly, I had forgotten to apply them at the time and decided not to mess with it. Maybe on my next one I'll remember to use them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, GrahamF@Iconicair said:

I keep toying with the idea of welding on another set of rods then grinding all the originals off...

Thanks Graham! 

That's still one thing  I haven't tried. One day...

• Like 1

*Thinks - Some really great ideas here...

*Goes - To local IKEA with a plan to compare Detolf with Malsjö and other cabinets, with Wife in tow...

*Returns - With Liatorp side table for some inexplicable reason, and budget for the month blown.

IMG_20200617_052910.thumb.jpg.d5753838994af6bc3ecd51d0bcc31e96.jpg

How does this happen?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wumm said:

How does this happen?

:rofl:
Because you missed one step between *goes and *returns
When you pass the kiddie section near the entrance, where there is a pool full of plastic balls in it, you were exposed to some 'willing to buy' enhancing drugs.
So the missing point was *brainwash.

Seems to happen to everybody, it's the Ikea system ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wumm said:

How does this happen?

Rob might be on to something. I remember going there once with my mom. She saw a couch on sale and bought it. Of course there wasn't any room for it in their house so it sat piled on top of the existing couch for a week before we brought it back. 

• Like 2

I have three tricks to resist the Ikea brain-washing system (which must be called something else in Swedish, like « « brøenwetstag », or something close ;) ) :

1) spot - and use - the shortcuts to avoid the twenty-mile long crawling through the store,
2) prepare your shopping-list on internet before going to the store. Their system is so good you know the store-stock, and the position of what you want to buy,

3) last but not least, and that’s my most efficient trick, refuse flat-out to go there :D

HTH

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, HubertB said:

I have three tricks to resist the Ikea brain-washing system (which must be called something else in Swedish, like « « brøenwetstag ») :

1) spot - and use - the shortcuts to avoid the twenty-mile long crawling through the store,
2) prepare your shopping-list on internet before going to the store. Their system is so good you know the store-stock, and the position of what you want to buy,

3) last but not least, and that’s my most efficient trick, refuse flat-out to go there ;)

HTH

Hubert

I like # 3 !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

My parents would call up and say, "let's meet for breakfast". 

At Ikea. As it was inexpensive and they could have me help them with stuff after.

I love meat balls, but not the point of crossing half an Ikea store to eat them :)

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Haha 1