Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Diabolical Dornier ... a 1/48 Odyssey

GazzaS

I got this one last Christmas:

iu2JyF.jpg

The earliest night fighter variant of the Dornier Do 17.  Kauz I.  I don't think there was much different from the bomber version other than black paint and a fuel cell added to the forward bomb bay.

8B7XIf.jpg

The cockpit is pretty simple, and with a lack of knowledge of what the type really looked like inside, I was left to my own devices.  After all of the hours I spent detailing the inside of my Do 217 nightfighter, only to have everything disappear, I've decided that investing too much time in 1/48 pits is pointless.

The radio sets aren't very well depicted.

NFzI3I.jpg

The seat belts are just .5mm strips of Tamiya tape with faux buckels painted on.  Sorry for the blur.     ....oh, by the way, DocRob....  thanks for showing the Voyager cutting templates.  They arrived just in time today to help me cut the seat belt strips.

Why Diabolical, you say?  I'll tell ya....

SHri7r.jpg

I was warned about ICM's older moldings.  I didn't know this classified as older, but you can see here that I've used chunks of the spare fuel cell to try to get a better join between fuselage and wings.  It's gonna be one of those deals where I glue one spot...  let it dry, then glue another spot, and so on until the wing is securely dogged down.  Then, it'll be filler and fun.

THk1z4.jpg

This is the state of her now.  I've added white card stiffeners to make the fuselage seams stronger.  Hopefully the CA will trickle all in there and provide a seam I can't pop.

This will be my first all black aircraft since I was a teen and ruined a Monogram 1/48 scale P-61.  I hope to do better, this time.

Thanks for looking!  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Gaz

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

....oh, by the way, DocRob....  thanks for showing the Voyager cutting templates

De nada Gaz,

Your build looks promising. The pit is nice and I think you can see some of the detail, given the wide opening in the fuselage. I will follow, how you tackle the black scheme, as I never did one, beside the fuselage of a tiny 1/48 fighter.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Wow....  been a while since I did an update.

And there was a spare part that reminded me of the cover of the centrally mounted cannon on the 109...but much bigger...  so I used that to simulate the gun cover of the forward battery.  I've since closed and up the fuselage and started up the motors...  but no paint to see, yet...  so no photo.

Ruhmi0.jpg

sometimes I wonder how I complete anything....

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 8

Today I glued all of the main parts on with CA.  And used CA for the filler so I was able to file and sand it usually within a half hour of setting it down to dry.

o9JFGU.jpg

So, in one day I've successfully filled and sanded a lot of ugly seams...  but also done some re-scribing.

Qu8C7t.jpg

The dark, straight lines are the CA filled seams.  The new, lighter lines inside the 'shoulder' area are my best scribe lines ever.

9788364596339.jpg

This is my reference book.  Lotsa great stuff on the Dornier.  Hopefully ICM will use it to inspire some of the prewar builds.  Some great aircraft shapes, there.

mdhz2b.jpg

Haven't rescribed the tailplane, yet.  But the seams are clearly visible.

Nn71Qj.jpg

Again, the dark, wide lines are the CA filled gaps.  My rescribing down here was much uglier.  I'm guessing because I'm working with a concave surface.  And on the port side, the lines formed by the forward spar don;t even match.  ...no biggie....  nobody will see that anyway cuz the plane will be very dark below and nobody looks at undersides once they are done...  unless you hang em' from the ceiling.

5XjDCd.jpg

I would have expected the tailplane to be a 3-piece arrangement making things a little easier for the builder.  But, it wasn't.  So, I took this pic to help me be sure that the tailplane isn't askew of the main wings.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Happy building!

Gaz

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DocRob said:

Smooth looking airframe Gaz, not only because of the filled gaps, but design wise too. Never had too much appetite for a Do 17, but this may change...

Cheers Rob

HI Rob,

Thanks!  It's quite a lovely airframe.

• Like 3

A little bit of engine research:

bmwbramo323r2fafnir_5.jpg

Nice and pretty....  with black cylinder jackets...  kinda impedes my artistic desires....

ZT2O_zF-senBTYXyT-i5R7kpuesovxIe9uElw6Dv

This relic bears some black on the jackets as well as cool looking turquoise sparkplug wires.

1200px-Bramo_323P_engine_from_Do17Z-2_-5

And at the far end of the scale, a truly thrashed Bramo Fafnir.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now we come to my personally most hated part of aircraft modelling:   Scribing...  rescribing....  and fault finding.

First some black along all of the seams:

7yTxCc.jpg

VLp3pL.jpg

BHy9a9.jpg

Oxu2Kv.jpg

KHE3yI.jpg

And a nice smooth leading edge with rescribed lines...

And I get to do it all over again with the nacelles, too....  I'll save that for the next episode.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Friends...

Meanwhile work slowly progresses on the Dornier.

kPBbC4.jpg

Most of the nacelle related parts...  some detail painting to do after the oil pinwash and dry-brush.

LUMzHM.jpg

I've started making the exhausts look burnt.  And I fashioned the lower hatch from a sheet of aluminum.

pNqvG9.jpg

And I had to modify the greenhouse for the Kauz I.  The kit comes with two optional greenhouses.  One for the bomber, and the other for Kauz II with IR scope protruding through.  The kit would have you just add the armored windscreen over the hole for the IR scope.  I thought that wouldn't look good, so I took the risk of  sawing out the errant panel and then glue on the armored windscreen. 

Anyway...  thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Like Phil said, lots of bravery with the canopy. I've done it once with lots of Dymo tape as guideline and Kabuki for general protection. It worked, but was wearing my nerves also. Yours should look perfect with a coat of paint.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking good Gaz, you’re a brave man attacking the greenhouse........

Thank you, Phil!  I've cracked a couple of canopies before...  so I almost feel comfortable working with them.

28 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Like Phil said, lots of bravery with the canopy. I've done it once with lots of Dymo tape as guideline and Kabuki for general protection. It worked, but was wearing my nerves also. Yours should look perfect with a coat of paint.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob.  I happened upon a few pics recently of other ppl modifying canopies.  The trick is to make a line of starter holes with a sharp object far about 1-2 MM inside the panel you want to remove.  Then, drill out the holes so the make a connect-the-dot pattern for your razor saw to file.  This cuts out easily.  It keeps the saw blade from wandering.  Then, you remove whats left with files and sandpaper.

Gaz

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RockieYarwood said:

Beautiful work Gaz!! Love the Flying Pencil - sure hope we get one in 1/32 scale someday.

Thanks mate!  As much as I love them....   1/32 is too big for me.

• Like 3

Hello Friends,

The 'All-black' plane experiment (not to be confused with the NZ Rugby Union Team) continues.  I finished fabricating the inside of the entrance/escape hatch.  I didn't have much to go on, so it's all educated guessing.

E6ew76.jpg

I added lugs to hold the pneumatic rods which would have raised and lowered the hatch.  I suppose I could have made finer versions from strips of brass or aluminum.... but that didn't occur to me until just now.  At any rate, adding aluminum strips would have best been done before the fuselage was closed up.  Maybe next time.  The hatch is just dry-fitted and will need some detail painting done.

2orXLg.jpg

Here it is from the outside.   Crap...  just realized I need some AM Mg 17 barrels....  of course, they come in sets of two!

tNWogu.jpg

And for your edification, the engines and cowlings added to give an idea of where I'm going with this.  Oh...  just realized I need a reflector sight, too.  Yep...there isn't one in the kit.  I have a 1/48 Bf109T that I kept for parts after I realized that the resin wingtips were too small for the kit.

One final request before you go:  Does anyone know of any 1/48 German bomber crew in coveralls in standing positions?  My search has been unsuccessful thus far.  I have a regular ICM Dornier Do-17Z and I was thinking of making it look really shot up, but making it home safely.  There are some good damage pics out there from bombers that were filled with .303 holes but still got home.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 9