The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

AMT/Ertl 1/48 A-20G

JohnB

This one has been in my stash long enough so now I'll go on and finish it (I had started it several years ago but put it aside). I'll be using the nice Vector cockpit set and some resin wheels (True Details?). The Zotz decal sheet has several good subjects and I chose "Ridin' High" for my build. Hopefully this time I will stay with the build......

A-20.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/30/2021 at 8:42 PM, JohnB said:

Where were the main problems Dennis?

Not sure now as it was probably late 1990's but I think the nose and engine nacelles were a bit problematic, and fitting the undercarriage was different to the norm, in those days though I did not do build narratives like I do now so I am just relying on my dodgy memory.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Not sure now as it was probably late 1990's but I think the nose and engine nacelles were a bit problematic, and fitting the undercarriage was different to the norm, in those days though I did not do build narratives like I do now so I am just relying on my dodgy memory.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I'll be watching out for those. :)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

John. I think True Details did the life raft for the pilot, above and behind his head! In the cockpit.  It is coming along nicely! 

Thanks! I have 2 different resin life rafts for this kit. One is from TD but the one I used is Vector.

Scanned Section 4-1.jpg

• Like 5

I just ordered some replacement cowlings on ebay so now I'll have to go slow on the build until they arrive. It's just about to the stage where it needs a coat of primer. Wish I had thought to order those earlier on!

• Like 4

I used the kit cowls on my P-70 build but I did drill out the exhaust stacks which was quite a chore. The A-20 always stirs some memories for me, my Dad told me one of the first jobs he had in the AAC was installing the life rafts in them before the left for overseas. In spite of the kits age it still builds into a nice replica. I still have one in the stash to build.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Old Dog said:

I used the kit cowls on my P-70 build but I did drill out the exhaust stacks which was quite a chore. The A-20 always stirs some memories for me, my Dad told me one of the first jobs he had in the AAC was installing the life rafts in them before the left for overseas. In spite of the kits age it still builds into a nice replica. I still have one in the stash to build.

I'm a little surprised how good the fit is. No real problems to speak of. I didn't want to fiddle with drilling the fiddly little ports. Too much of a chance to screw something up! Hopefully the resin replacement cowls will show up soon. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1