Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Curtiss Hawk 81-A2, American Volunteer Group, 3rd Pursuit Squadron (1/32 Trumpeter)

• Members

My first entry will be the 1/32 Trumpeter P-40B done as Charles Older's "White 68" from the American Volunteer Group's 3rd Pursuit Squadron (Hell's Angels) operating from Burma in 1942.  I'll be using KitsWorld decals and will be doing this more or less OOB.  I have a plan to correct the too shallow cockpit issue that doesn't involve buying the Lone Star cockpit, stay tuned!

Curtiss-Hawk-81A-23FG3PS-W68-P-8109-Char

72CH2_zps22f74653.jpg

cleaverp40bphotoa_zps14137ea8.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, my plan for dealing with ridiculously shallow cockpit is to raid the spares box.  A couple of years ago I built the Azur (Special Hobby) Hawk 75.  It contained a complete resin interior which left me with some left over plastic parts for the cockpit.  The Hawk 75 and 81 (P-36 and P-40) were pretty similar.  The cockpit is not an exact match detail wise but it's fairly close and once painted I think it will be an improvement.  The kit parts were not really accurate either so it's win/win as far as I'm concerned.  I shaved off some of the side wall detail and transferred it to the new parts.  The aft bulkhead is the upper part of the kit part grafted on to the lower part of the new one.  I still have to modify the IP to sit at the correct height and work out a couple of minor details but that shouldn't be a big deal.  I don't think I'll have issues with it interfering with the wing fit but need to do a dry fit just to make sure.

016_zps4686abd3.jpg

017_zpsdafb54bf.jpg

019_zps9d37b90a.jpg

The seat was a "Plain Jane" so I added some plastic strips to represent the ribs.

018_zpsdab9e4f2.jpg 

You're pretty much forced to partially assemble the engine even if you're not going to display it.  I'm not big on the exausts pipes but nobody seems to make a resin replacement so I may have to live with them.

015_zps00576f47.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

OK, decided to retrieve this project from the shelf of doom.  Didn't think to take pictures until the fuselage was closed up. doh!  Anyway, hopefully you can see enough to get the general idea.  I don't really like Mr. Color Interior Green, looks more like Chromate Green to me but it is what it is at this point.  The seat belts are Finemolds Nano Aviation. 

002_zpsrfquhzgx.jpg

001_zpslsu9162b.jpg

003_zpsakrcywad.jpg

• Like 2

When you think the interior is too yellow, perhaps give it a dark wash with some green paint or ink mixed in?

Try on some scrap first (so it isn't my fault when it doesn't work out well :rolleyes:)

• Members

When you think the interior is too yellow, perhaps give it a dark wash with some green paint or ink mixed in?

Try on some scrap first (so it isn't my fault when it doesn't work out well :rolleyes:)

Rob, believe it or not that's with a dark brown wash, even brighter before that!  I'll just live with it, typically I'm only real anal retentive on Luftwaffe projects!

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Pulled off the shelf of doom again, looks like I'll finish it this time.  I decided to Robert Neale's "White 7" from 1st Pursuit Squadron instead since almost all of the builds you see are  from 3rd PS "Hell's Angels".  Decals are mostly from Kits World, which are really nice to work with and a sheet that I bought from a company in Taiwan that look great on the sheet but are nearly impossible to work with due to being so thin and brittle.  Paint as always is Mr. Color.

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mikester said:

Pulled off the shelf of doom again, looks like I'll finish it this time.  I decided to Robert Neale's "White 7" from 1st Pursuit Squadron instead since almost all of the builds you see are  from 3rd PS "Hell's Angels".  Decals are mostly from Kits World, which are really nice to work with and a sheet that I bought from a company in Taiwan that look great on the sheet but are nearly impossible to work with due to being so thin and brittle.  Paint as always is Mr. Color.

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

Looks good Mike.

• Like 1