The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Fokker D.VIII Razor Wing Jasta 6

Hello friends of the colourful fighters of WWI,

the Fokker D.VIII is finally done. It was a long and sometimes tempting, but always rewarding project. I had so much fun during this build and learned a lot of new techniques, like soldering my own struts from brass and cowering whole fuselages in decals instead of paint. I used lots of aftermarket items, where the kit showed it's weaknesses and shortcomings. They are mentioned in the building log.
I would like to thank all of you, who came along the trip with a special mention of the two build logs, I often referred to, one by our gifted and resourceful member Mike Sandbagger and the other is available on the Aviattic website, written by Dave Hooper.

Fokker E.V / D.VIII Parasol Mikro Mir 1/32 - Page 7 - LSM Work In Progress - Large Scale Modeller

And here she is in her full galore. I will add some outdoor pics later, when there is blue skies.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8285.thumb.JPG.f6c5a23b044d45a2897e9e0a94b3257a.JPG

IMG_8287.thumb.JPG.e30a8fc86e6f49e3ff26344942fb25b9.JPG

IMG_8288.thumb.JPG.073dc150d638b44fd8b1b02743f78cc4.JPG

IMG_8292.thumb.JPG.816a7bc1e05a887fa51cfe6d4c5f1b4a.JPG

IMG_8290.thumb.JPG.ce856c0e09ae46f55e3d4bfb36261714.JPG

IMG_8291.thumb.JPG.4848948f36c990ab86a34a131700c0de.JPG

IMG_8293.thumb.JPG.24c58dbb1b142aba99b8091eec4a6a76.JPG

IMG_8296.thumb.JPG.1d5d7a449e069e7adad9522f3acbbcf0.JPG

IMG_8297.thumb.JPG.201ec0a29926117d1be6dcac9ef952d7.JPG

IMG_8294.thumb.JPG.7fee4f1fb849d5371c8b965f14a653f7.JPG 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, krow113 said:

Very nicely done.

3 hours ago, harv said:

Wow, very nice !......harv :151_41_44_712.09472830013627761

Gracias Señhores, today I worked a little more on the 1/72 twin of this one, but it will sport a Polish livery. Man, is 72 scale small. I haven't built one since I was a kid.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

As already stated in the WIP, you created a stunning Fokker, Rob!

Danke Kai, I appreciate it. I had so much fun with the project, that I have to find a good fit as a next build. I think the 1/72 sidekick of the Fokker will be first, as most of the painting work, like the wings is already done. Other possibilities are, to build and paint my recently started 1/20 Ammoknight along with the 1/20 Ma.K Küster or to finish my Fly Arado-234. I'm also tempted to start either the 1/48 Gotha G.V or the WNW AEG G.IV and there is also a wooden ship, the Vanguard Duchess of Kingston on the way somewhere between the UK and my tiny island,...

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Buckeye82 said:

Very nice!  Colorful bird.

Thank you Mike, indeed, the idea of colourful camouflage is a little overboard with some of the German planes of the time. On the other hand, this is wat makes them interesting to build, at leas t to me, who is not a great friend of dull PC10 or grave RLM 66 ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Rob

Brilliant work -absolutely a fantastic build.

Keep 'em comin

Thank you Peter, lets see, what's next, I can't decide at the moment, but first the little Fokker in 1/72 for fun.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

With apologies....  I always forget about the RFI section.

Rob, I love the final result!  You've really done a great job on this attractive scheme.  It's quite a beauty!

What's next?

Gaz

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

With apologies....  I always forget about the RFI section.

Rob, I love the final result!  You've really done a great job on this attractive scheme.  It's quite a beauty!

What's next?

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice work Rob!  

Thank you Gaz and Mike. As for the next project, I'm a bit undecided in the moment. I have to finish my Arado 234 nightfighter and am tempted by MaK Küster in 1/20 as a canvas for painting and weathering training. I got a wooden ship, the Duchess of Kingston held up by UPS since weeks, I might want to  start and there is the big WNW AEG. IV in the loop. As a little filler, I first complete my Fokker D.VIII parallel build in 1/72, that's what I'm actually working on. I will add some pics later. Man 1/72 is not my scale, but it's also a lot of fun and easy to handle.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

My Fokker D.VIII family has a new sibling ready for show. It's the Arma Hobby 1/72 expert variant of the kit. As I made some of the steps, like painting the wings with that strange streaked camo parallel, it was only logical to finish the small one along.
When the water will be sunny and foremost less windy, I will add some outdoor pics.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8469.thumb.JPG.f4f3fd17d5baee3bccb5051e82ce3960.JPG

IMG_8470.thumb.JPG.067b50bed222f6d4a55f5f689e7cae82.JPG

IMG_8471.thumb.JPG.4935960f9b085196d78ff0b581b8ded5.JPG

IMG_8472.thumb.JPG.149440965c19ba30e626b79d79837ce3.JPG

IMG_8475.thumb.JPG.ce677a05d3e9f5cf24cdf51c66d8b5d8.JPG

IMG_8476.thumb.JPG.8e48c31d6d2bb40afc9253dec643f390.JPG 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

My Fokker D.VIII family has a new sibling ready for show. It's the Arma Hobby 1/72 expert variant of the kit. As I made some of the steps, like painting the wings with that strange streaked camo parallel, it was only logical to finish the small one along.
When the water will be sunny and foremost less windy, I will add some outdoor pics.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8469.thumb.JPG.f4f3fd17d5baee3bccb5051e82ce3960.JPG

IMG_8470.thumb.JPG.067b50bed222f6d4a55f5f689e7cae82.JPG

IMG_8471.thumb.JPG.4935960f9b085196d78ff0b581b8ded5.JPG

IMG_8472.thumb.JPG.149440965c19ba30e626b79d79837ce3.JPG

IMG_8475.thumb.JPG.ce677a05d3e9f5cf24cdf51c66d8b5d8.JPG

IMG_8476.thumb.JPG.8e48c31d6d2bb40afc9253dec643f390.JPG 

Beautiful pictures and 2 awesome builds Rob!

Looks like mother and child...

Can’t wait to see your next project here! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations, Rob!  Both machines look great.  The size difference is quite amazing.  I'm impressed that you would be able to build the little one, after completing the 1/32 version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Beautiful pictures and 2 awesome builds Rob!

Looks like mother and child...

Can’t wait to see your next project here!

Thank you Kai, I'm looking forward to take some outdoor pics on a mirror, which show the upper and underside at the same time.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Congratulations, Rob!  Both machines look great.  The size difference is quite amazing.  I'm impressed that you would be able to build the little one, after completing the 1/32 version.

Thanks Gaz, after building the Siemens Schuckert D.III twins in 48 scale last year, it was only logical :D. Honestly, I have a weak spot for the design of the Fokker D.VIII and could be tempted to build another one in 1/32 in bright yellow with black diamonds all over the fuselage. 
While I started with the large one, I became aware, that there is the tiny Arma kit out there and ordered one. As there were some subassemblies finished parallel, finishing the little one was a no brainer to me and normally I hate redundancy. It will not happen again very often, that I will do parallel build, though.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Great job on both Rob!  I have a few WNW kits in the stash, and have worried about adding the lozenge decals and getting a cartoonish look to the model.  You did a really great job with them to avoid that issue.

Thanks for posting such a detailed WIP.  When I read logs like yours, I realize how much more there is I have to learn.  Your tips with the Albion tubes and connectors were really fantastic - had no idea you could buy such things.  And your metal and wood work is superb.  Lots to absorb, thanks again for taking the time to share and post!

• Thanks 1

It's a pleasure Mike. I live on a tiny island with nobody around having an interest in modelling. I don't do competitions, I build only for myself. I have only you to communicate about my loved hobby and I like the idea of a forum about giving and taking and to me LSM is such a place with friendly members and great discussions.
The build of the Fokkers, I covered a bit closer than others, as I learned a lot while doing it. The formerly dreaded building of brass struts is now in my repertoire as is the general handling of completely decaled fuselages or wings.
It's trail and error sometimes. On an older WNW build, the Hansa Brandenburg, I wanted to use wood decals and failed miserably. As the build progressed, I used the oil colour technique for wooden parts for the first time and liked the flexibility and relative easiness of the process.
I have to confess, that I never used WNW lozenge. The 1/32 Fokker and the Hansa Brandenburg and my SSW twins in 1/48 were covered in Aviattic slear backed Lozenge, which is pure joy to work with. robust and I like the colour rendition. They have the benefit of a slightly woven underground, very cloth like. The clay wash, I use, helps to blend the colours better.
The only kit lozenge, I used, were th decals for the tiny Arma Fokker. They were printed by Cartograph and were good to work with, albeit not as good as the Aviattic's.

Be warned, If I really start with the Duchess of Kingston, I will be fishing for information :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

I haven't spent a ton of time looking at the WnW lozenge decals, but a few of the ones I looked at in the stash seemed a bit too stark - at least for my liking.  Certainly washes will tone things down a bit, but I like a more muted tone, which Aviattic seems to have nailed pretty well.

Will the Duchess be your first wooden ship model?  If so, that's a great one to start with!  Happy to help where I can.  Plastic certainly can send you down a number of rabbit holes when it comes to things like aftermarket, paints and washes, etc.  Wooden ship models have different rabbit holes - power and hand tools, replacing kit wood with "better" wood, etc.  Don't ask me how I know that :wacko:

As for communicating with others in the hobby, I have to say that forums like these make modeling immensely more fun.  Not only is it a great learning venue (not sure how people did models in the past pre-internet!) and inspiring to see masters at work (though, it can be a bit intimidating as well!), it's just a lot of fun with all the camaraderie.  Compared to other hobby boards I've been on, the modeling boards seem to be full of good people not looking for unnecessary drama. :)  

13 hours ago, TJTX said:

Absolutely beautiful build!  I'm still amazed by you guys who get that realistic finish on your builds.  Not too shiny, not to dull, just right.

Thank's a lot, the finish is easy achieved. I use Pledge as varnish, be it gloss or matte and for matting it down, I add Tamiya flat base. If you put too much of the flat into the mix, it will look frosted, with about 30% flat base stirred in, I have these results. On my WWI subjects, I tend to use a Flory clay wash before varnishing, which dulls everything a little and helps to blend the colours.

There is a very helpful page about mixing Pledge/Future with Tamiya flat on the blog of the talented designer/builder fichtenfoo.

Clear Coats with Future Floor Acrylic | FichtenFoo

Cheers Rob