Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Oh no! I did it again! 1-24 6 axle flatbed trailer.

Hey all 

Well I did it, I started another project. I purchased some air suspensions from Shapways for the lowboy, but they were to tall, they were meant for a standard height trailer...sooo, I decided to start a new project so I could use them. I'm making a 6 axle heavy haul/steel hauler 48' flatbed trailer based off of info form the internet and kind like the AMT flatbed trailer, but different.

20210303_165104.jpghere is my drawing that I built it from.

20210303_170023.jpgside view of 6 axle flatbed trailer.

20210303_170209.jpgthis view shows the air suspensions that I'm using, they still need a lot of work. I now need 6 complete air brake setups.

20210303_182001.jpgthis view shows the Italeri Peterbilt 378 tractor that will be pulling it. I'm going to replace the Detroit diesel that comes with it with a Cummins from the Australian Western Star from Italeri. I have 4 extra rear duals from an old old kit that I did eons ago that I might use to add a pusher axle to it, don't know for sure, will see. Well that's it for now be back soon with more.

Ron G 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HubertB said:

Now, that’s a lot of wheels. How do you even make a turn pulling this ?

Hubert

Not sure you could in the mountains..... all those tires scrubbing on a tight turn would tear up our crappy black top...... but man what a heavy load a guy could haul !   Cool stuff Ron..... your frame work is out standing....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Not sure you could in the mountains..... all those tires scrubbing on a tight turn would tear up our crappy black top...... but man what a heavy load a guy could haul !   Cool stuff Ron..... your frame work is out standing....

Hey Jeff 

You don't see these around here (Detroit/Flint, Mi) anymore, but back in the hey day of the Auto industry they were everywhere hauling big steel sheet metal rolls for the auto plants to stamp out fenders, doors, hoods, etc. And yes the tires were usually way worn out...lol

Ron G 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Jeff 

You don't see these around here (Detroit/Flint, Mi) anymore, but back in the hey day of the Auto industry they were everywhere hauling big steel sheet metal rolls for the auto plants to stamp out fenders, doors, hoods, etc. And yes the tires were usually way worn out...lol

Ron G 

Oh yeah, I never thought of that, and probably BIG rolls of steel.....  good point, ................ that would look good as a load on your deck.... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I've seen old pics of those big steel roll loads, and they do look really cool

Yeah, I could use the plastic kit parts from the AMT flatbed trailer kit, but I think I can make them out of very thin aluminum sheet stock, I don't know I haven't checked into it yet.

Ron G 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all 

I did a little more work on the Peterbilt 378 Tri-drive. I'm still waiting on parts for the 6 axle trailer.

20210318_170303.jpgthis view shows the Pete with the correct cab on it. It has 385/65R22.5 tires from the Italeri trailer tyre kit on the front for floats. I put my driver figure in there for perspective.

20210318_170422.jpgthis view shows the front floats turned to the right.

20210318_170554.jpgthis view shows the Tri-drive set up. And tge stretched fifth wheel plate.

20210318_170531.jpgthis view shows the valve stems I added to the inner and outer rims, I still need to do the rest of the rears and the fronts too.

20210318_171422.jpgthis view shows the front floats a little better, also the Cummins NTC-400 I'm using instead of the kit supplied Detroit series 60.

20210318_171355.jpganother view of the Cummins NTC-400.

20210318_171445.jpgthis view shows the intake air cleaner pipe in place.

20210318_171513.jpgthis view shows the modified (from the Detroit series 60) intercooler pipes. The radiator is the Cummins NTC-400 radiator from the Western Star kit. Well that's it for now be back with more soon 

Ron G 

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all 

It's been a while on this build. I did some more work on the Tri-drive Pete. I made new longer tanks out of some 3/4" (1.05" O.D.) pvc pipe and ends from some 0.08" plastic sheet. I also made a rear step to get up on the frame to hook up the air/elec. Lines. I did some more work on the engine intercooler pipes and air intake pipes. So, here are some pictures for you to look at.

20210416_175607.jpgthis view shows the intercooler and air intake pipes. I have to fix the radiator, it's crooked!!!... damn! Oh well no big deal.

20210416_175500.jpgview from the front of the truck showing the exhaust pipes and the fuel tank.

20210416_175423.jpgthis view shows the custom fuel tank. I put the left one on the right and the right one on the left.. duhh! Oh well it's put together just for pictures. You can see the step in this view.

20210415_213501.pngthis view shows the paint scheme I'm going for. Dark orange frame, orange hood, cab and sleeper with black top and lower front area. Well that's it for now be back with more soon.

Ron G 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all 

Did some work on the 6 axle flatbed trailer. The wheels that I ordered from Italeri finally got here, along with some more Italeri 1/24 truck tires, so I made up some axles and temporarily installed the wheels/tires to the trailer.

20210429_164319.jpgthis view shows the whole setup and its 35 1/2" long!

20210429_165058.jpgthis view shows just the trailer and its a scale 48' long.

Ron G 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey all 

Some more progress on the 6 axle flatbed trailer.

20210501_172231.jpgthis view shows the whole thing.

20210501_172209.jpgthis view shows the deck boards in place on the trailer.

20210501_172342.jpgtop view of the trailer deck boards.

20210501_172139.jpg

View looking rearward of the Pete 379 and 6 axle flatbed trailer. That's it for now be back soon.

Ron G 

• Like 5