Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Last Man Standing, bruised Ammoknight patched up, 1/20

Welcome to the future, a knight, maybe it's history, noooo, its sci-fi.

These Ammoknights are a sidekick to the Maschinenkrieger or Ma.K or ZbV 3000 universe and I spare you the banal story behind, because it's irrelevant for the project
I have no idea, if there is any interest in a WIP of that kind.
First of all it's not about building, because all building was done in a day and was a very simple affair. The fit of the kit parts is very good and to make painting and weathering easier, all subassemblies can be snapped together without gluing, quite comfortable.
The only extra work went into the seamlines of the arms and legs, where I used Tamiya extra thin glue in a left tiny gap, between the halves, then being pushed together with some force, so that some glue dries on the surface and can later be sanded away, result, no gaps at all.

What this WIP will be about is painting and weathering, where I will incorporate some new adventures. My plan is to brush paint the Ammoknight with a layering technique of different type of colours, let's see, how this works out.

The little scene will include the opened Ammoknight powersuit and Sasha the welding girl, patching the worn and beaten knight up after battle. If you have guessed, that this will involve metal, rust, grime, flaked paint and some sex appeal, you're right.
Like on most of my builds, I have a very detailed picture in my head, showing the finalized project and like always, I'm curious about, if I'm able to deliver.

IMG_8492.thumb.JPG.ff2fcca32f5df4eca93da349aa3e5555.JPG

The scene will look like this

IMG_8254.thumb.JPG.729997683dcf2e2caee4d2ed4c75159e.JPG

Today I started with the base layer and wanted to create a surface of badly pitted metal, cast with bad quality, corroded and worn. For the first time, I applied a corresponding surface layer on a kit, using Mr. Surfacer 500 and dabbed the texture on, with different types of sponges in random patterns, which led to this.

IMG_8481.thumb.JPG.dac260001753e423738629881596f61e.JPG

IMG_8482.thumb.JPG.f27be532a2bada875f1a3efd966cfb96.JPG

Next step was checking the result with black primer, which will be the base for all things to follow. My test pieces looked so promising, that I coated all the parts in Alclad's black micro filler, Here are the results on some of the main body parts and it came out exactly how I wanted the look.

IMG_8483.thumb.JPG.87fd98431adc090279d8b02020ac854a.JPG 

IMG_8484.thumb.JPG.7a7b1473ca1205236a8709a48504ee2e.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 12

11 hours ago, DocRob said:

Welcome to the future, a knight, maybe it's history, noooo, its sci-fi.

These Ammoknights are a sidekick to the Maschinenkrieger or Ma.K or ZbV 3000 universe and I spare you the banal story behind, because it's irrelevant for the project
I have no idea, if there is any interest in a WIP of that kind.
First of all it's not about building, because all building was done in a day and was a very simple affair. The fit of the kit parts is very good and to make painting and weathering easier, all subassemblies can be snapped together without gluing, quite comfortable.
The only extra work went into the seamlines of the arms and legs, where I used Tamiya extra thin glue in a left tiny gap, between the halves, then being pushed together with some force, so that some glue dries on the surface and can later be sanded away, result, no gaps at all.

What this WIP will be about is painting and weathering, where I will incorporate some new adventures. My plan is to brush paint the Ammoknight with a layering technique of different type of colours, let's see, how this works out.

The little scene will include the opened Ammoknight powersuit and Sasha the welding girl, patching the worn and beaten knight up after battle. If you have guessed, that this will involve metal, rust, grime, flaked paint and some sex appeal, you're right.
Like on most of my builds, I have a very detailed picture in my head, showing the finalized project and like always, I'm curious about, if I'm able to deliver.

IMG_8492.thumb.JPG.ff2fcca32f5df4eca93da349aa3e5555.JPG

The scene will look like this

IMG_8254.thumb.JPG.729997683dcf2e2caee4d2ed4c75159e.JPG

Today I started with the base layer and wanted to create a surface of badly pitted metal, cast with bad quality, corroded and worn. For the first time, I applied a corresponding surface layer on a kit, using Mr. Surfacer 500 and dabbed the texture on, with different types of sponges in random patterns, which led to this.

IMG_8481.thumb.JPG.dac260001753e423738629881596f61e.JPG

IMG_8482.thumb.JPG.f27be532a2bada875f1a3efd966cfb96.JPG

Next step was checking the result with black primer, which will be the base for all things to follow. My test pieces looked so promising, that I coated all the parts in Alclad's black micro filler, Here are the results on some of the main body parts and it came out exactly how I wanted the look.

IMG_8483.thumb.JPG.87fd98431adc090279d8b02020ac854a.JPG 

IMG_8484.thumb.JPG.7a7b1473ca1205236a8709a48504ee2e.JPG

Cheers Rob

Awesome technique Rob! It’s great to be  in this forum because I learn a lot! 
Curious to see how this one will turn out! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Keep going Rob! I'm all for watching you work your magic on this.

9 hours ago, harv said:

I almost missed this. I'm loving it . Model on sir......harv :popcorn:

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Awesome technique Rob! It’s great to be  in this forum because I learn a lot! 
Curious to see how this one will turn out!

47 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Thank you Gentlemen, there seems to be some interest into this buil..., - errr - paintjob and weathering, great, glad to have you on board, as I'm sure, I can profit a lot on your experience, where I step on no mans land.
Kai, I'm curious as you about the outcome and if I can life up to my imagined picture with this little setting.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TJTX said:

Heck yea that's some cool stuff.  

It definitely is and you don't have to care about the real thing, because luckily there is non. You can go wild, using new techniques without a right or wrong, quite rejuvenating.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

I prepared the setting, adding the fog dispenser with lead wires. On the right side, two tins got shot away and will dangeling on the cables later, with a little deformation. Sasha the wielding girl put a heart shaped patch on the hole and wielded it on.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8501.thumb.JPG.a85d3a090ff27398521f0cf0722414a1.JPG

IMG_8500.thumb.JPG.7b659e653249202c215d95f8a6ab95b6.JPG

IMG_8502.thumb.JPG.ec096643244f2af9a2f00cfc3fb00c8d.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I prepared the setting, adding the fog dispenser with lead wires. On the right side, two tins got shot away and will dangeling on the cables later, with a little deformation. Sasha the wielding girl put a heart shaped patch on the hole and wielded it on.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8501.thumb.JPG.a85d3a090ff27398521f0cf0722414a1.JPG

IMG_8500.thumb.JPG.7b659e653249202c215d95f8a6ab95b6.JPG

IMG_8502.thumb.JPG.ec096643244f2af9a2f00cfc3fb00c8d.JPG

Very nice composition Rob!

The Lady is really sculptured very good and looks awesome!

Good idea with the heart welded on!

Curious waiting for your next update!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Very nice composition Rob!

The Lady is really sculptured very good and looks awesome!

Good idea with the heart welded on!

Curious waiting for your next update!

Muchas Gracias Kai, the sculpting of the welding girl is indeed superb. let's see, if I can do her justice with my limited figure painting experiences. The heart patch will be checked soon under a coat of primer for a sufficient welding effect. I made the welding bead with thick CA and a toothpick.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Rob

Looking mighty good and the details are coming to life

Thanks Peter, there are not that many details on the Ammoknight, which suits me well, as with it's organic forms, it's an ideal canvas for my planned brush painting idea, but first, I have to paint the inner parts of the power suit, which I find a bit boring, as only little can be seen afterwards.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Muchas Gracias Kai, the sculpting of the welding girl is indeed superb. let's see, if I can do her justice with my limited figure painting experiences. The heart patch will be checked soon under a coat of primer for a sufficient welding effect. I made the welding bead with thick CA and a toothpick.

Cheers Rob

Great idea with the welding bead Rob!

Looking forward to see your Lady-Painting.

For the cowl of my P-47 I‘ve also bought a nice figure. This example is really beautiful(ly painted)...

F456B411-2B54-4F49-8801-FD745D7B7DDA.jpeg

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great idea with the welding bead Rob!

Looking forward to see your Lady-Painting.

For the cowl of my P-47 I‘ve also bought a nice figure. This example is really beautiful(ly painted)...

Thanks Kai, this Lady was in my focus as well, when Royal released it. She will look great on a P-47.

Puh, smelly affair in my workshop, first metallics and then hairspray, brrrr :stirthepot:. I used different Xtreme Metal tones for the inner parts and as a base for my yet to choose interior colour, which will be chipped a lot. That's where a heavy dose of hairspray was used. I did the same for the gas bottles and sprayed their fittings and the torch brass colour.

IMG_8503.thumb.JPG.55dfade4fbf083204cce11b65d792382.JPG

I test sprayed the heart shaped patch with gun metal and like the roughly 'welded' look.

IMG_8504.thumb.JPG.8be8324f9926d9398a7ec06518f31161.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, absolutely brilliant change of direction. I know nothing about the subject but looks fun. Love the diversities of genres we now have on LSM.......looking forward to seeing this .....

Thanks Phil, I don't know very much about the MaK universe either and that's exactly where you can go freestyle, backed up by the 1/20 scale, which helps to incorporate new techniques. Generally, I don't want to corner myself with interest in only certain types of subjects for my builds, I like variety. I build whatever attracts me, when time comes.
The most important thing for me, is to have fun while building models.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Cool stuff, Rob!  I'm looking forward to how your exterior work goes.

Thanks Gaz, I hope as well to finish the interior soon and hop into the real thing, top or flop :D. If I fail epic, it's reassuring, that there is a second Ammoknight in the box ;).

Cheers Rob

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Diversity ... just keeps adding to the interest and keeps the juices flowing

Indeed Peter and like with books, I have to have a next project in my head, when I'm nearing the finish line with a build, with anticipation of what is coming. I don't like the black (what do I build next, dunno) hole, this to me is totally anti climaxing.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

Finally some colour to show. The interior got airbrushed, except for the seat and front cushion, which were painted with oils. The seat will maybe receive some patches from duct tape and all the other pre painted parts will be chipped and weathered, as they are prepared with an underlayer of hairspray. Still a lot of detail painting has to be made, before I can switch to painting the body.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8506.thumb.JPG.40039aa6467f14cd8ae137184058e19e.JPG

• Like 8