The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Last Man Standing, bruised Ammoknight patched up, 1/20

Thanks Carl, no RLM 66 here ;), the Ammoknight will be green on the outside, at least that's the plan. For the interior, I switched to blue grey instead of my first planned beige green. The now used interior colour will give a good contrast then. It also contrasts better to the dark red pilot seat, which was a primary intention.
The benefit of a project like this is, you can do whatever you want, without caring about accuracy, the downside is, I noticed, I lack some primary colours, like a frog green, which I had in mind for the welding cart and used orange as a substitute :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Finally some colour to show. The interior got airbrushed, except for the seat and front cushion, which were painted with oils. The seat will maybe receive some patches from duct tape and all the other pre painted parts will be chipped and weathered, as they are prepared with an underlayer of hairspray. Still a lot of detail painting has to be made, before I can switch to painting the body.

Cheers Rob

IMG_8506.thumb.JPG.40039aa6467f14cd8ae137184058e19e.JPG

Looking great so far Rob!

The seat is really well done! Which oils from which supplier did you use? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Carl, no RLM 66 here ;), the Ammoknight will be green on the outside, at least that's the plan. For the interior, I switched to blue grey instead of my first planned beige green. The now used interior colour will give a good contrast then. It also contrasts better to the dark red pilot seat, which was a primary intention.
The benefit of a project like this is, you can do whatever you want, without caring about accuracy, the downside is, I noticed, I lack some primary colours, like a frog green, which I had in mind for the welding cart and used orange as a substitute :D.

Cheers Rob

Good work.

For interests sake the rig she has is a cutting torch , can be used for 'welding' but not welding.

lol

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Looking great so far Rob!

The seat is really well done! Which oils from which supplier did you use?

12 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Paint and colors looks good

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Nice looking work, Rob!  Looks like a fair amount of progress.

Gracia Señhores, the interior is only preliminary, now it's about wear and weathering and detail painting of course.
@Kai, I use Abteilung 502 oil colours and beside some superficial weathering, I use them only since maybe a year, but with growing enthusiasm. It started, when I found out, how easy it is to replicate wood with oils. Later I used them for intense weathering and to paint leather, like on WWI plane seats and cushions and lately turned to figure painting. I still find new ways to incorporate oils and experiment with different thinners, like fast drying, matte drying,... For the seat, I used matte drying thinner,

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, krow113 said:

Good work.

For interests sake the rig she has is a cutting torch , can be used for 'welding' but not welding.

I knew her rig would summon some interests :D
For the welding thing, I have prove she did it, at least the heart is applied onto the power suit, evidence enough for me :D.

Nitpicking krow you are :lol:

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It's time for superficial destruction, great. Loaded with a bunch of tools, like tweezers fiber eraser, stiff brush and toothpicks, I scratched the formerly hairspray based parts, to show some wear. This is only the first step of weathering, the next will include some work with dampened weathering pencils. This will reduce some of the heavy chips and will give depth and tonal balance, paired with some enhanced colour richness.

The complete inside of the power suit, with added detail painting and first step of mechanical chipping

IMG_8507.thumb.JPG.450ad96ceeb240ead133fd15e718f4d0.JPG

I like, how the seat turned out, painted with oils.

IMG_8511.thumb.JPG.48887f938446eb9a95f5377c99d89133.JPG

This view will only be partly visible, with the half opened power suit, that's why I didn't add detail, like wires, etc.

IMG_8512.thumb.JPG.be5ac1fd4c34206370fefdac77a6435f.JPG

This is the inside of the visor part with some more detail painting to add.

IMG_8513.thumb.JPG.d7e91393a7a3439364f0da29194468b5.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

This is a fiber eraser. It's like a pen with an insert of glass? fibers with a diameter of ca. 5 mm. It is very handy to remove paint on later to glue joints like spars in tight fit WNW interiors. or, like here for weathering purposes. These pens are really abrasive, but I don't like the fine fiber residues in the air, when working with them. It's better to wear a mask and gloves, because the fibers stuck into the fingers like very fine cactus stings. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXRXxafODXqhAVtDgJY15yO5NgBS7eMCNPpfTPmlWYh3hAXbbzOuz4pquISViAmYdpb1i9cNws&usqp=CAc

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, harv said:

Wow ! What are fiber eraser....harv

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

It's time for superficial destruction, great. Loaded with a bunch of tools, like tweezers fiber eraser, stiff brush and toothpicks, I scratched the formerly hairspray based parts, to show some wear. This is only the first step of weathering, the next will include some work with dampened weathering pencils. This will reduce some of the heavy chips and will give depth and tonal balance, paired with some enhanced colour richness.

The complete inside of the power suit, with added detail painting and first step of mechanical chipping

IMG_8507.thumb.JPG.450ad96ceeb240ead133fd15e718f4d0.JPG

I like, how the seat turned out, painted with oils.

IMG_8511.thumb.JPG.48887f938446eb9a95f5377c99d89133.JPG

This view will only be partly visible, with the half opened power suit, that's why I didn't add detail, like wires, etc.

IMG_8512.thumb.JPG.be5ac1fd4c34206370fefdac77a6435f.JPG

This is the inside of the visor part with some more detail painting to add.

IMG_8513.thumb.JPG.d7e91393a7a3439364f0da29194468b5.JPG

Cheers Rob

Wow Rob! This really looks stunning! Beautiful detail painting and weathering.

The seat looks as if really covered with leather and used. May I take a seat? Looks quite comfortable! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

This is a fiber eraser. It's like a pen with an insert of glass? fibers with a diameter of ca. 5 mm. It is very handy to remove paint on later to glue joints like spars in tight fit WNW interiors. or, like here for weathering purposes. These pens are really abrasive, but I don't like the fine fiber residues in the air, when working with them. It's better to wear a mask and gloves, because the fibers stuck into the fingers like very fine cactus stings. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXRXxafODXqhAVtDgJY15yO5NgBS7eMCNPpfTPmlWYh3hAXbbzOuz4pquISViAmYdpb1i9cNws&usqp=CAc

Cheers Rob

These fiber erasers are really nice but have to be used very carefully.

But the effects you can create are really nice. I also used them for my Corsair. 

FC4D1007-F9EE-4849-9BF7-EC455BEBC914.jpeg

4B39DAB6-2725-43EF-B135-62F9D471A457.jpeg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

But the effects you can create are really nice. I also used them for my Corsair. 

A stunning display, of what is possible with these erasers Kai, it looks fabulous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Wow Rob! This really looks stunning! Beautiful detail painting and weathering.

The seat looks as if really covered with leather and used. May I take a seat? Looks quite comfortable! 

Be my guest Kai :D, the seat is really looking comfy for it's purpose. Many tank crew members would have been jealous, seeing this seat. 
Oils to my eye are perfect to replicate wood and leather, as you can be very subtle blending the colours 'wet in wet'. You can even create a little type of texture, due to the paste like consistence.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Very nice work Rob :thumbsup2: !

These erasers are actually fiberglass, and a legacy of the times when people were drawing on calcs (a few of us still remember those times ;) ). Much more precise and efficient than traditional rubbers on calc paper. And yes, the fiberglass strands can break, and have a nasty tendency to insert themselves in bare skin ... ouch !

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the clarification Hubert and it's not only the skin, I'm concerned about, when using these erasers. These fibers are very light and as you can see them circulating in the air, I do not like to imagine, what damage they will do inside the lungs. I wear a mask, when I use them for more than one or two strokes.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

The interior looks fantastic Rob. 

I've got one of those fibre pens as well. Hadn't considered using it for Weathering but will have to give that a go. I also have similar sanding pens but more like a mechanical pencil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today, I weathered the interior further, using different AK weathering pencils. I dabbed the tip into water and then applied it heavily, using light green, petrol and light blue. With a wetted brush, I spread the pencil dots and removed them partly. This way, it's pretty easy to control the effect. The main idea was to get a bit more greenish and of course used appearance to the interior, to make it fit better to the planned green outside. When everything is completely dried, I will evaluate, if I go a little further or better a step back, which is possible with these pencels.
On the pictures the effect of the green appears stronger, than under daylight. 

Cheers Rob

IMG_8516.thumb.JPG.6163e230959d55b788e3af6e4a6e40c3.JPG

IMG_8517.thumb.JPG.62ba9123aa63689e64036ec799f13f9d.JPG

IMG_8519.thumb.JPG.b181ae0ab6bb203c83bc720b385df7de.JPG

IMG_8518.thumb.JPG.1530caf1f5293616964de3af3330cad4.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Today, I weathered the interior further, using different AK weathering pencils. I dabbed the tip into water and then applied it heavily, using light green, petrol and light blue. With a wetted brush, I spread the pencil dots and removed them partly. This way, it's pretty easy to control the effect. The main idea was to get a bit more greenish and of course used appearance to the interior, to make it fit better to the planned green outside. When everything is completely dried, I will evaluate, if I go a little further or better a step back, which is possible with these pencels.
On the pictures the effect of the green appears stronger, than under daylight. 

Cheers Rob

IMG_8516.thumb.JPG.6163e230959d55b788e3af6e4a6e40c3.JPG

IMG_8517.thumb.JPG.62ba9123aa63689e64036ec799f13f9d.JPG

IMG_8519.thumb.JPG.b181ae0ab6bb203c83bc720b385df7de.JPG

IMG_8518.thumb.JPG.1530caf1f5293616964de3af3330cad4.JPG

This looks really awesome and thanks for the description of your technique!

Will for sure give it a try! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1