Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Gottfreid Weiroster Bf 109G6 R6 Revell 1/32

45 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Found a foto Gary:

C5894D57-ECBF-45E5-BDE6-C58C631D3BC7.jpeg.0c2118eb74b3ea4b5f57cdfd8c9cb8db.jpeg

Thank you, Kai!  I had a look at photos, too.  Not many had the sleeve chevrons.  This one is particularly interesting because the insignia are on the leather jacket.

• Like 2

Gaz

Your figure looks so good and I completely agree a semi matte finish would be the way to go.
Never a fan of movable control surfaces as they create more problems and fit issues then they are worth. Glad to see you’ve taken the 109 to task again - looking mighty gogg

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Your figure looks so good and I completely agree a semi matte finish would be the way to go.
Never a fan of movable control surfaces as they create more problems and fit issues then they are worth. Glad to see you’ve taken the 109 to task again - looking mighty gogg

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you, Peter.

• Like 3

Your figure is hundred times better than what I could achieve. From what I read from the experts like Marion Ball, the secret with acrylics is to use multiple very diluted layers to achieve the same blending effect as with oils.

Keep going. You’ll prevail on that pig of a kit in the end.

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

Your figure is hundred times better than what I could achieve. From what I read from the experts like Marion Ball, the secret with acrylics is to use multiple very diluted layers to achieve the same blending effect as with oils.

Keep going. You’ll prevail on that pig of a kit in the end.

Hubert

Thank you for the very kind words, Hubert.  I was actually trying to emulate the technique.  But it just doesn't look the way I'd like.  Perhaps my layers were too heavy.  I just end up with textures I don't want.

• Like 1

If you google Marion Ball, you'll see some of her techniques / advice on-line. IIRC, she talks about a 10:90 dilution for painting acrylics. She says that, as it dries fast, she can build up the layers quickly.

HTH

Hubert

PS: there is also Kiril Kanaev's amazingly good (that is an understatement, believe me) - but probably expensive when shipped down under - book, sold on AK / MIG's website

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

After a uniform correction pointed out by a friend, and another dose of matte coat, our pilot's uniform looks much different:

P1014061.thumb.JPG.90f30284ea5df1243840a031378cae34.JPG

By eliminating the glare, my attempts at shading finally show.  I just wish he had a younger face.  He looks more like Geschwader Kommodore material.

Heady stuff...   wings and empennage on.

P1014065.thumb.JPG.608d139346691b3dd8399ee616e77aea.JPG

I decided to look at Herr Weiroster's 109 and noticed that in photos, whether he's chilling in his custom lawn chair, leaning on vertical stab, or preparing to take off, the position of flaps and cooling flaps on his radiators is consistent.

gottfriedweiroster1.jpg.aa38727818a28713f651bf5f58397c55.jpg

Weiroster9.thumb.png.ef027918cd98ad0a990a8455d4b7a62a.png

So...  the point is that part of the wing root is visible.  You can see I filled that joint with black CA and sanded it smooth.   But I will have to paint test it tomorrow...  or later.

P1014066.thumb.JPG.4924cfd183da58a7d78354d3219c2615.JPG

After work tomorrow, I'm on a four-day weekend.  I hope to make major progress.

...We'll be in lockdown...   I'll be short of excuses.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Ltn. Weiroster looks really awesome Gary. The uniform and the face are spot on.

Good surgery also on the wingroot.

Looking forward to seeing the progress  of 4 days lockdown…

Thank you, Kai.  Is it me, or does his uniform look like velvet?

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

What an eye for detail, looking just so good.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter.  It's all part of my plan to improve.

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Looking good 

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10R3W-6.JG51-NeubibMesserschmitt-Bf-109G10R3W-6.JG51-Neubib

Thank you, Martin!  Damn, man!  You certainly have a great collection of images!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you, Kai.  Is it me, or does his uniform look like velvet?

Thank you Peter.  It's all part of my plan to improve.

Thank you, Martin!  Damn, man!  You certainly have a great collection of images!

For me it looks like the Luftwaffen-Blau Gary and not like velvet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the great pics and video, Martin.  Fewer G-rated things look better on film than a sleek fighter aircraft.

I've just run into an unhappy situation.  I've realized two things about this 109 kit.  The first is that the shape at the forward part of the wingroot and fuselage is all wrong.   The wing comes up too much up front extending the fuselage area behind the oil cooler.  But...  I sanded a lot of it away.

Worse still is discovering that both wings have a bow in them.   So...  port wing was worst, so I broke it apart and now it is clamped, glued, and taped, hopefully drying in a straight shape. 

This in one of those situations where I need a kit to ruin before I build one, right.  Sadly, I spent too much on this one to justify binning it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

That’s really bad news Gary. 
I can’t understand why Revell made such big mistakes. 
Not easy to correct and lots of rework necessary.

Up to now I thought that the Mirage III is one of the worst kits but it’s topped by this one. And I have 2 of them and a G-10 in my stash…

Looking forward to seeing the results of your surgery.

• Like 4

I like the look of the figure, no strange hue on the pics to be seen, at least to my eye. Colors tend to change a lot under different lighting conditions and even more when photographed. There is no digital true or false to it, it's always an interpretation.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I like the look of the figure, no strange hue on the pics to be seen, at least to my eye. Colors tend to change a lot under different lighting conditions and even more when photographed. There is no digital true or false to it, it's always an interpretation.

Cheers Rob

Thanks, Rob.  I haven't taken any natural light photos of him, yet.  I like natural light the best.

• Like 4

Well...  I'm at the place where I didn't want to be from the outset.  Sanding, scribing, fixing, filling, scribing in the wing root for fricking ever.  I've ruined surface detail I wanted to avoid touching from the get-go.

To make matters worse, I've ruined the profile of the wing.  It's all my fault, I'm sure.  I could hide it with clever photography...  but I'm just getting tired of it.  So, I'm going to set it aside until I can find another Revell G6 to rob for parts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Well...  I'm at the place where I didn't want to be from the outset.  Sanding, scribing, fixing, filling, scribing in the wing root for fricking ever.  I've ruined surface detail I wanted to avoid touching from the get-go.

To make matters worse, I've ruined the profile of the wing.  It's all my fault, I'm sure.  I could hide it with clever photography...  but I'm just getting tired of it.  So, I'm going to set it aside until I can find another Revell G6 to rob for parts.

That’s sad to hear Gary! Then it’s really better to put it aside! 

I have another G6 plus the Alley-Cat set in my stash. Do you want that Gary? If you‘re interested please PM.

Other possibility: use the inserts you refused to use?

• Like 2